Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
So when I entered this thread I made a fairly innocuos comment about people talking about power increases and negative effects on chassis dynamics. And what was the response..... offended people going on the assumption train . " sorry , but this is the type of comment made by somebody who has never driven an XR5 " . ( you dont know what your talking about etc etc etc ). Unfortunately I had driven both stock and modded XR5's.
The tone of the thread instantly went from informative to people getting all defensive because their ride has been criticised and I guess when it comes to cars , a mans very being is on the line.....or so it would seem.
I dont know how many times I have written in this thread that these cars are great and the best choice for an everyday car so Im not going to bother this time because you guys seem intent on digging your heels in.
look, a bloke asked for peoples experiences and opinions on the XR5. After a few posts the inevitable comments about these cars surprising V8's at the lights surfaced. No biggie , but the guys are talking about modded/tuned cars embarrasing V8's , not stock cars. When you pump more power through the front wheels of a stock XR5 you will increase torquesteer. You cannot avoid this fact. Now , maybe to die hard fans such as yourself the increased torqusteer isnt a big enough negative to spoil your experience of driving the car, just like most of us V8 drivers like to pretend our front heavy cars dont understeer like pigs when pushed hard. But each car has its inherent design limitations. If you had of said from the outset, Yes increasing output increases torqusteer but not enough to make the car a pain in the a@#se and its still enjoyable to drive , this thread wouldnt be this long and the original poster would be better informed......Oh , and on the subject of Quaifes,traction and torqusteer are directly ( although not solely ) related.....but I guess you already knew that
hmmm... i already posted a reply once but must have stuffed it up as it ain't here??

you make some good points, the most valid being that this discussion has deviated from what the OP was about. in light of that i will STFU.

one thing though about your "from the outset" comment, that's pretty much what i did.

anyway... i see you live near the pass?? i'm not far away myself. had a run down this arvo after a long run checking potential cruise routes... best bit of road in the district.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post