Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What is stopping you buying some land and building some?

Of course the rents would not be so high if all the miners were not being paid so much more than tradesmen doing equal work in other places.......
Lol no land here ...the little that may become available will only be allocated to mining company anyway . I didn't build when land was offered to me as the families that have been here since day dot , said not to . Rent prices are not due to wages they are due to available profits to contractor companies needing accomadation to provide the service to the mines .they will pay at any cost ,because say a four bedroom house , it can have several rotating crews of 4 , with potential for 12 so the cost of say 3000 a week is spread over several men .

And essentially the mine adds this in their cost of services ( which they can't get by without ) .many houses are now going for close to mill ...good if you own one not so good for a miner with family to buy .

I now have a couple on my crew leaving due to cost of living , others that are leaving for the city with their house rented at 3500 thou a week , as their repayments were to much for what

they earn , but triple their income if they leave .

I don't know this is all gunna end its no good for families ...and I'm only lucky I'm in a company owned house , or I would go as well .