Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #33
Spurious

Default Re: Dash Cams; What have you got!?

I use my Galaxy S2 i9100 phone.
8MP camera,
able to read number plates at about 15 to 20 metres & can zoom in on playback (whilst paused),
records for as long as I want, (car charger & storage to be considered)
can take a screenshot (still photo) after the fact if I see something worthy of passing on to police (number plate is everything- re: evidence) & can screenshot whilst zoomed in on a still image.

1 camera pointed out the front is sufficient I reckon.
Let's face it, if someone rear ends you, the evidence is there on your car, if someone T bones you, same thing, the playback will clear you of any negligence.

I made a mount for it to sit on my dash (foam base, double sided tape).

I always set/turn the "Outdoor visibility" ON to enhance the video.
I have the resolution on 1920x1080, this zooms in to a point that shows the vehicle in front as close as possible to its actual position. By that I mean, even with the res' set this way, the vehicle in front still appears to be further away than it actually is.

When recording, the buttons are right there on screen, so if I catch something worthy I can easily stop the recording & then instantly start it fresh again. This simply saves me having to sift through 10, 20, or 50 minutes worth of video afterwards to find that one incident.

I guess technically this is interfering with a mobile device whilst driving, but in reality it's no different then me pushing a button or 2 on my car stereo.
I always start the recording in my driveway, if I'm heading out, & I believe that touching the phone whilst it's mounted on my dash is safer than touching my car stereo, as I have to look down to touch the stereo !!!

If someone rings me whilst I'm using the camera, the video stops, as should I if I want to answer it.
When I stop recording, all I do is push the power button & the phone goes to sleep. So when I'm ready to record again, I just touch the button on the lower face, swipe the screen & hit record. Simple.

The only downside I have found with using the Galaxy is that after recording for 10 minutes, the lens gets rather hot. I certainly notice this when I stop driving & put the phone in my pocket.
Plus if I switch to the camera, adjust the settings I want (outdoor vis' etc) but then don't hit record, the phone reverts back to the menu/settings page, & therefore I have to re-select the camera & adjust my settings again.

I use Samsung Kies software to upload video to my PC, then upload it to movie maker so I can edit the video, insert screen shots, then email it to the police traffic division.

Plus if I put the phone on camera then put it to sleep, I am ready to film ANYTHING that crosses my path, even a bogun domestic dispute in Coles, or a robbery perhaps....who knows. The point is, I'm ready !!!

Last edited by Spurious; 21-01-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: