Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #1
Fairlane Al

Default Installing series 1 instrument cluster into series II Fairlane. Advice? Has anyone done it before

Before anyone asks why I'm trying to do this, I'm trying to get a functional factory oil pressure gauge working instead of the pathetic AUII "gauge" that's no more useful than the idiot light. I understand that everyone says putting the wrong series cluster in is either not possible or too much work, but I subscribe to the theory of biting off more than you can chew and chewing like hell. As for the question of why don't I just put an aftermarket oil pressure gauge in if I want one so badly, I think that would ruin the look of the car, would present an image of something of a hoon/ricer I prefer not to have presented to passer by who may be looking at the car, and frankly I'd rather have the stock gauge work properly than install an aftermarket gauge, even if it is more difficult to get it working, just as I spent $300 having the stock CD player refurbished rather than paying $100 for an aftermarket unit that could very well do everything "better". I digress, but that is what my philosophy with these sorts of things.

I've test fitted a Series I XR6 cluster I picked up today in my [other, parts donor/guinea pig] Series II Fairlane. I also picked up a Series I Fairlane cluster just in case I needed it as well, but I'd prefer to use the XR cluster for the 240km speedo and the Tickford wings on it as well. Contrary to what I've heard, it does fundamentally work, the tacho, fuel, coolant and voltage gauge all show valid readings, I didn't move the car so I can't comment if the speedo works but I assume [hope] it will, the odometer works, it all for the most part with a few small issues, works. The only gauge that didn't show a reading is the oil pressure gauge which I am not entirely surprised about given it still has the old "switch" not the proper sender to drive the gauge. I'll install that tomorrow when I have more time and I'll see if my hunch about this all working is correct or not.

There's two other issues that I've come across. One, the radiator coolant level light stays on, I suspect this is because the series II doesn't run a coolant level sensor. I'm considering either physically removing that light from the cluster, or is it possible to retrofit the coolant sensor to a Series II and have it work? Either option works for me.

The other issue is I've noticed the steering wheel stereo controls no longer work. I recall reading somewhere that the AUI routes these controls through the cluster whereas the AUII routes them "directly" to the head unit. Is there any work around I can implement here to get these controls working again with the Series I cluster installed or will this likely be a no go?

Also the cluster being an XR cluster lacks features such as the individual door diagram as my Fairlane has. If I were to open up the cluster and swap the odometer display panel from the Series II Fairlane with the panel from the XR cluster am I going to end up with the functions of the Fairlane cluster carrying across or will I retain the XR cluster's functions re door display and trip computer? At the end of the day it's no big deal if I don't have the individual door display or a second DTE display, but it would be nice to keep what I have in the Fairlane currently anyway. I could use the Series 1 Fairlane cluster if that would help in any way?

If anyone has either attempted this, successfully or unsuccessfully, and has any information or pointers they can give I would be most appreciative. I will be sure to report back any findings I have for the benefit of anyone else looking to do this conversion. I can't be the only AUII owner unhappy with not having the proper oil gauge.
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post