The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #24
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: When is it too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
All the Chrysler vehicles with the 5.7 Hemi V8 woke up big time when they changed them from the 5 and 6 speeds to the ZF 8 speed. It made a night and day difference. I don't know why people think that 6 gears are the ultimate in technology. I have 1037Nm of torque and a nice 6 speed Allison automatic. I would love more gears, especially for towing heavy loads. More gears will keep the rpm in the sweet spot, where you want it. If a 10 speed would slow it down, then the ratios and the programming would not be where they should be. Why would they do that? It's going to be an improvement. I can't wait for Ford and GM to get their 10 speeds.
Other examples where we have previously heard we are at the pinnacle of technology:
1. You will never need more than 2GB of hard drive space.
2. Your eyes cannot detect resolution greater than 1080p.
3. Why would anyone need 215Kw in an HSV?
Maybe it was the ZF that woke it up?
The ability to lock up in all gears makes them a better unit to start with.

I have to use manual mode in my car around town because it wants to use all 6 gears, I constantly find the engine lugging at 1000rpm if I use adaptive mode. I take off in 2nd because 1st is too short.

There is a lot more to gearing than the number of them. Having 1073nm of torque and then 6 speeds not being enough to keep it in it's powerband reeks of a truly bad engine design as far as I'm concerned.
I have in theory 24 speeds in my truck which is capable of pulling 300 tonne.
It has an Allison 6 speed main box and a 4 speed joey. Never once have I used the joey.

I do concede I can see how 8 could be useful in a big heavy car like a Jeep but 10 speeds in a light Mustang?? 8 gears in my XR8 would be beyond painful.
We have had 4wd for years with 5 speed main boxes and then a low range so a lot of gears isn't new, putting them into cars that don't require it is.

I don't have an issue with vehicles that can in fact use them, it's the pointless use that bothers me. If/when these things break they will cost more to repair than some new cars are to buy outright.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post