Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Could this tech offer hope to a dead Aussie car manufacturing sector?

Yesterday I was doing my daily F1 news search and came across this and it's got me thinking...

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/...d-engineering/

Would the availability of these kind of non mainstream car manufacturers electric drivetrains offer the ability to revive the now dead auto manufacturing in Australia? I mean let's face it, no big car company is coming back any time soon. So why don't we take a leaf out of the Poms auto manufacturing book? They really don't have a major manufacturer based in Britain anymore, just parts manufacturers. But what they do have is a good amount of small independent niche car builders.

And with a platform available that is supposed to be superior to Tesla, wouldn't that offer light to producing some Aussie muscle cars again. Sure at the moment this platform would more than likely mean the cars produced would be competing price wise with the likes of Tesla and the Germans, but as the stats suggest, us Aussies have been heading in the Germans direction since our offerings have faulted and now died. And the price for the platform isn't stated and would surely decline over time due to the cost of production of materials etc.

Sure it's electric, and there's no V8s to be seen. But in say 20 years, will there be anyone producing petrol powered V8s anymore on mass?

Anyway, it has just been bouncing about in my head since reading the article, so I thought I'd share.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post