Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-05-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
Schtoo

Default I'm conflicted. AU or BA or BF XR8 coupe-utility?

Hello All,

I hope I've stuck this in the right place.

So, the time has come where I can't really put off getting a second set of wheels for the fam-damily, as I need to get to work and the (much!) better half rather likes what we already have and will gladly drive it around, as little as she needs to get around anywhere.

I've been overseas for nearly 20 years, and when I left I had a Hilux 4WD ute, and rather liked it aside from it being utterly unable to rip the corner off the skin of a moldy rice pudding, let alone a complete skin.

I don't 'need' a ute, but I'd like one. I don't need to cart around humans, the family bus carries 5 in comfort, 7 in a pinch and sips fuel while it does it. I don't have far to drive to work, it's 15 minutes on the worst morning, 5-8 in the current times so I can gladly deal with something that's less than economical on fuel, less than family practical and not very tyre friendly because I do get proper mate's rates on round black things.

So a ute it is, and while I really do not care what ute it will be, as I have no demand for fuel economy I really don't need some econobox but would prefer something that makes nice noises and whatnot. I have no desire to pay the Bogan taxes with a Commodore, and I'm finding that the fabled Barra-T doesn't attract such taxes, they're awfully pricey for what you're getting. Especially as I'm sure it won't be a month before I'll be forced to replace a few bits in it's guts and have someone competent fiddle with it's brains...

And besides, I'd like a V8 please.

I've got a somewhat solid budget of $10K for the car alone, plus whatever the extras will cost. Yes, I'll be borrowing it from somewhere, but that's not an issue, other than I don't really want to spend much more than that.

Looking at what's out there, I'm finding the previously mentioned AUII and AUIII, BA and the odd BF in the price range (Vic), but is $10K and change really what these things should be going for?

Like I said, I've been away and have lost my sense for what's a good deal somewhat. Still got contacts if I need them, but mostly sticking a toe or three in the water and making sure I have enough budget to get what I'd like without ending up with some clapped out crap-box.

As to what appeals to me, I'm finding something of a soft spot for an AU, because Windsor V8 and the ones in the III are quite healthy. They also seem to be on the uptick because, well, I guess everyone finally worked out that while they're not pretty, they're solid and dependable.

But a BA/BF has 'more' motor, are a little newer and all the benefits of that in regard to parts, refinement, etc. In that regard, I'd honestly prefer the 'other' brand because IRS...

So, I guess I'm looking for suggestions on which way to go, what I should expect for the $$$ and while I've got folks to drag along with me to point out problems I'm too starry eyed to see, anything to watch out for would be appreciated.

Really, I'd like a well worn XM/XP with a Barra in it to match the mint XM stock as a rock wagon in the garage, but that can take some time to make happen, maybe. Besides which, the XM can do daily duties if it has to for a time so I'm in no rush at all.

Thanks in advance.

Stu.

Last edited by Schtoo; 25-05-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post