Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Labrat
Starter Motor

Default More advice needed, re replacement for a Mum's Taxi

Hi. I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's car which was recently written off.
I was thinking of a Ford Focus Model LW. not sure of the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2.
The terrifying thing is that reviews of owners all state that the gearbox is a pile of crap just waiting to fail. I see a lot of these cars around. Are they really that bad?

The owner reviews are driving me (pun intended) to consider a Mazda 3 hatchback.

Please offer suggestions. The Mazda does not seem to have good rear vision. Might need a reversing camera.

Labrat
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: More advice needed, re replacement for a Mum's Taxi

Buy a manual. Problem solved.

Or if you want auto, get an LZ Focus instead.

Personally, I have never had an issue with the PowerShift transmission, so I wouldn't mind buying one if necessary. But like any used car, you need to do your due diligence.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
Hi. I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's car which was recently written off.
I was thinking of a Ford Focus Model LW. not sure of the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2.
The terrifying thing is that reviews of owners all state that the gearbox is a pile of crap just waiting to fail. I see a lot of these cars around. Are they really that bad?

The owner reviews are driving me (pun intended) to consider a Mazda 3 hatchback.

Please offer suggestions. The Mazda does not seem to have good rear vision. Might need a reversing camera.

Labrat
Honestly as far as Mum's Taxis go if your looking for a small car go for a Mazda 3 or a Toyota Corolla. At base level Corolla is better, but kitted out (especially if your looking for a bit of power) the 3 is the better choice. If you want something slightly larger then go either Camry or Mazda 6, I'd say the 6 is hands down better than the Camry in almost all applications aside from price (in NZ atleast).

For the 3/6 you'd be a fool not to get the hatchback/wagon forms. They look amazing (particularly the 6) and are extremely practical. Camry's I think only come in Sedans, and for the Corolla's the sedans look quite hideous so hatch all the way.

Reliability is pretty good for both of them. I know one of my friends' mums has had a 6 since the early 2000s, and apparently apart from an oil change every year they've had to spend absolutely no money on it. It's currently at 205,000km's and still fairly solid. The only complaint is the gearbox must be modelled after me, cause it's always late . In all seriousness though, that's the only issue (more just an annoying design flaw really) and it's only ever noticed by my mate when he drives it cause a teenagers accelerator has two settings ; off and on. They do have a rear view camera installed though. Worst case just buy the car and get an el cheapo aftermarket one installed that mounts with a little see through screen on the rear view mirror.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's your budget?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How old is your wife, and what does she use the car for?
Do you ever need to drive it? Will it be auto or manual?
And yeah, budget?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
Labrat
Starter Motor

Hi. Sorry about the long delay in writing. After a long search, we eventually went with the same model (LV Focus CL 2 litre hatchback) Price was one of the main considerations.

I am very happy with this model, but I do wish it had cruise control.
I would have thought that in these days that all cars would have cruise control and blue tooth as standard.

Wayne.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

just get it added aftermarket
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
Hi. Sorry about the long delay in writing. After a long search, we eventually went with the same model (LV Focus CL 2 litre hatchback) Price was one of the main considerations.

I am very happy with this model, but I do wish it had cruise control.
I would have thought that in these days that all cars would have cruise control and blue tooth as standard.

Wayne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium
just get it added aftermarket
Maybe its a European thing?
My XR4 doesn't have it either, not even as an option.

If it was even optional on the Focus, you'll be able to retrofit it. Just need the bits and somebody to reprogram the computer. (Dealers can usually do it, at great expense.)

I doubt anybody does aftermarket anymore. Generally it involved sticking magnets on the drive-shaft, plus a vaccum powered throttle-actuator.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

If it was even optional on the Focus, you'll be able to retrofit it. Just need the bits and somebody to reprogram the computer. (Dealers can usually do it, at great expense.)

I doubt anybody does aftermarket anymore. Generally it involved sticking magnets on the drive-shaft, plus a vaccum powered throttle-actuator.
These days i guess you're right. Back in the day... my first car i had aftermarket cruise in in it, and prior to that the old man had it fitted to his, and they were just tapped into the speedo input and brake switch. The accelerator moved in and out with the motor that was fitted to it and as weird as it was, it worked. There was no gearbox compression braking in those though, they coasted hard downhill
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

you crazy

its fly by wire, heaps of aftermarket cruise options
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post