Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

View Poll Results: What type of petrol do you put your EF/EL?
I use 91! 42 42.86%
Premium for me! 56 57.14%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2006, 03:31 AM   #31
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Stick with 91 octane if it is running good. 95-98 wont do much better unless the compression is high. Also some cars dont like it. It come out of the factory to use 91 so you are better off sticking with it unless you modify it and advance the timing. I use premium only because it is a 5litre and it hate 95 octane or lower. It seems to ping alot. If your car pings however you are better to use premium. I only use BP ultimate or shell Extreme (now V Power 100)
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #32
SupahStah
Tha Stah

You will generaly only notice a difference with premium fuel once a car is advanced (except in EFs which, as posted earlier compensate themselfs) Once the car is advanced. I have found if you run 100 Octane from Shell, you can advance an extra 2 degrees compared to other premiums (About 10 degrees in total) safely without pinging. The Mobile Premium (98 oct) I stick to will run safely on 8 degrees advance.

Shell 100 Octane is alot cleaner, and it does have a difference, mainly in response and fuel economy. And is my pick for performance (if tuned). Mobile 98 however I think is better value for money, as in most cases you dont see a difference except how clean they burn.

If I was to run normal unleaded (91) I cant advance it past maybe 2 degrees above stock without running rough / pining somtimes. You get what you pay for, depends how much you love your car lol

SupahStah
Soon To Come: |Largish Cam + Chip|
ETA: *When the bank account is ready *
SupahStah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #33
ef_classic
Banned

I just got back from Mildura.

I drove from Castlemaine to Mildura in my ef sedan.

I had managed 650ks so far out of the 68 litres of BP ultimate i had put in it, i still had a bit left, but i had to fill up again to get home.

Does that sound right?
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #34
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

I use unleaded and thats it standard shell unleaded... And if I want to give it a flush I use Prostrength octain booster...

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #35
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_TD
Stick with 91 octane if it is running good. 95-98 wont do much better unless the compression is high. Also some cars dont like it. It come out of the factory to use 91 so you are better off sticking with it unless you modify it and advance the timing. I use premium only because it is a 5litre and it hate 95 octane or lower. It seems to ping alot. If your car pings however you are better to use premium. I only use BP ultimate or shell Extreme (now V Power 100)
That's how it goes. Octane rating = tendancy to detonate. There's a difference, however, between the calorific values of the standard fuels v's the premium fuels. Premium fuels often also contain more additives which might be beneficial. Fuels aren't rated to show the calorific value. Premium fuels can (but dont' always) give more power and can burn more efficiently but not based solely on their octane rating. Higher octane fuels also burn more slowly which can have a -ve impact.

with a std compression go for std fuel unless you really notice a difference with the premium yourself. Throw a bit of cleaner in it now and then if you want to compensate for the less additives. I wouldn't base the decision solely on octane rating unless you have a high compression engine or want to play with the timing a bit.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #36
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tend to alternate between the two. A few years ago i ran my EF only on Optimax and had starting issues where the car would cough and splutter before kicking over. These days i tend to use 1 tank of premium to 2 tanks of unleaded however in summer i swap it around and use 2 premium to 1 unleaded. Another thing i do is reset the ECU at every oil change (5000km), i find that has the biggest effect on performance and economy.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #37
Heffnic
this is true

in my ef i use the 98 octane it makes my car run a s**t load better but that was after about 2 full tanks to rinse out the normal unleaded. feels alot smoother as for a bit more boost a bit but nothing over the top.
Old 15-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #38
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

i ran 98 always until 100 came out, big difference between the two....i use nothing but 100 now, i wouldnt go back..... performance is sooo much better when you think its just the petrol....u would think u made a mod on the engine
finnyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #39
slayer351

I was using regular unleaded in my eb then changed to PULP and got a lot better fuel economy. I am getting anywhere between 50 and 100 k's to a tank more.
slayer351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #40
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

I find the best fuel efficiency is the higher octane fuel. I noticed it lasted longer. Tried the norm a few months back. It went through the car like a mulcher.
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post