Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
white_XR8

Cool What is goin on with my car???

I have an EF XR8 165kw engine done about 170,000k with a few mods probly runs around 175-180kw but I dont no if its just me but it doesn't run like a 180kw odd car should.
This is the story, I got my car fixed about a month and a bit ago ($900) latter and it still at times runs like a peice of S^&% these are the things I got fixed
- Fuel pump
- All welsh plugs re done.
- A rough timeing fix/tune.
- Few extra bits and peices.

Now for some reason still the car needed water refilling, and now most of the time but not all the time when I put my foot all the way down it is gutless (revs really high and doesn't produce any power) but when I take my foot back a bit it kicks in and then goes the I reckon it should go, it is also very grogy when I start it up in the morning and when sitting at the lights and when I take of for the first time of the day (i know its running cold but it never used to almost clonk out when i go to accelerate). When the engine is warm (about half way temp) when I put my foot down about the time i get to 80 - 100 kmph I get the pinging sound.
I was told this is a timeing thing hence the fact I went and tried to get that fixed!!! Could this be a more major machanical problem or is it something fairly simple?? NEEED HELP!!! thanks

white_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Is it constant water refilling? Sounds like a headgasket. Running like a dog and chewing through water. Get a compression test done on the cylinders. Even if its not the head gasket, its worth getting a compression test on the cylinders.
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

a compression test will not allways pick up a head gasket. but worth a go, check your oil, if its a chocolate milk sort of color chances are your headgasket is stuffed

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
a compression test will not allways pick up a head gasket. but worth a go, check your oil, if its a chocolate milk sort of color chances are your headgasket is stuffed

That is true, a compression test will only pick it up if its blown from cylinder to water jacket, to my understanding.
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

He does have a V8, don't be so quick to jump to a head gasket, not all motors blow them like E-Series I6's ;)

It sounds like the MAF is on it's way out. Easiest way to check would be to put someone elses on for a minute, it will be pretty noticeable.

Whoever charged you for a tune and timing adjustment is lying. You can't tune E-Series without a chip, and there is no reason to touch the timing unless someone else has changed it or there is a faulty sensor.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Last edited by Aaron_EF8; 19-12-2006 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added extra info.
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
white_XR8

MAF ?? sorry new to all this
umm pretty sure he said tune but i spose he musn't have cos mine isn't chipped and i think the only reason the timeing is out is cos my mate dragged someone in my car with the car in 2nd the whole time by the end of it it was ratling to the **** house so maybe i dont no ????
white_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
He does have a V8, don't be so quick to jump to a head gasket, not all motors blow them like E-Series I6's ;)

Whoever charged you for a tune and timing adjustment is lying. You can't tune E-Series without a chip, and there is no reason to touch the timing unless someone else has changed it or there is a faulty sensor.
^^^Agreed
I'd be checking you timing if it's pinging. Give it a good service, change all the spark plugs, give the injectors a good clean, check for water leaks (pin hole leaks in hoses), thermostate, flush the radiator etc..

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the MAF basically measures the amount of air going into the engine, so the computer knows how much fuel to put in, its located after the airbox and srews into the maf housing. can be cleaned but be very gentle with the little wire.
oxygen sensors are another thing that can make your car feel a bit slugish, so there worth changing.

edit:also try to only use premium petrol, and put in some injector cleaner.
i havnt had any pinging for about a year since running premium
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #9
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Mine does this too... Im still yet to find out why its doing it...

I did discover where all my coolent was going, it turned out the radiator cap was stuffed... Got a new one and I haven't lost a drop.

Mine is very gutless when its cold, but seems to be fine when warmed up.

I changed my plugs and leads, and it still does this when cold.

I guess I'll look into MAF and oxy sensors too... couldn't hurt I guess.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post