BP Ultimate 116 53.21%
Caltex Vortex 98 31 14.22%
Mobil Synergy 8000 42 19.27%
Shell Optimax 49 22.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #61
buickman
buickman

I use the Safeway premium (Caltex Vortex ) 4c discount. No real probs but have used all types of fuel in the past and found no diffs in performace. Only shell optimax I have found gives better fuel comsumption on country runs so I use that when doing long trips.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 AM   #62
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I've changed back over to Mobil 8000 from Optimax. No reason really. Just wanted to see how she runs again with the 8000 (I'd tried it once before but didn't really give it a go and stayed with Optimax) It seems to be a little more responsive with the 8000 and a bit smoother. My idle seems to have smoothed out a little too (have had issues with it being very erratic) so I don't know if it's just coincedence that it's a little better since putting the 8000 in. We'll see ...
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 06:50 AM   #63
bowsaw

I used ultimate on my trip, cant get it in town, only Shell Premium(95), i got nearly 600kms from a tank, doing between 140-150, pretty good for that speed.
bowsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #64
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I was unaware of the new Vortex98, When I looked on the caltex site to search what servo has it within 100 km of me I could find none, maybe it is yet to be realesed in QLD
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #65
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Finding premium where I am currently in the NT is a nightmare - but when regular unleaded cost $1.35 at the last place I filled up... let's just say fuel cards are great haha.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #66
pugslyxr6

Ive found with my XH XR6 that I get more milage with Optimax, although it does run a little rougher than 98 Ultimate -probably because of the lesser cleansers used. I stick with Optimax for distance and power, and go Ultimate for city driving.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #67
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gave Opimax a go again last week, and I found that my BA XR8 ran poorly on it. This has been the 4th time I have tryed it in this car and each time it is a dud. My fuel consumption is terrable on Optimax, It goes from 480km a tank of ulp to 420 a tank of optimax. and 530 on Ultimax.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #68
BLUE MOON RACER

I had been running Optimax for nearly 2 years in the GTP and found it to be very inconsistant from the same servo some weeks it would ping and other weeks it was fine. My company has shell cards so it was easy for Tax purposes but have found with the custom tune on the flasher it was pinging more frequently so ive starded alternating between BP98 and Vortex98 all ok but have to pay for it now out of the pocket.

Michael
Old 13-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #69
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Mobil synergy is the fuel.Optimax is not.Standard shell makes my car go better than optimax
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #70
SSbaby
Banned

I mainly fill up with BP Ultimate and Mobil Synergy... I'd definitely steer clear of the Optimax... unless your engine is stock.
Old 16-02-2005, 12:23 AM   #71
GTHO3_2

Why r u voting for BP IMO this is the worst fuel i got 173kms to the tank on this shit on mobil i get at east 350kms i will never go to bp not even to buy there milk
GTHO3_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 02:56 AM   #72
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

POLL = BP Ultimate by a long, long way..
For me, BP or Caltex for anything. Those two businesses are miles ahead of all the others. New stores for BP, woolworths/safeway backing caltex..
I wouldn't trust Shell as most of there stores still look cheap and they're probably thinning their fuel in anticipation of maybe buying some new stores or ice cream fridges in 2020 when they catch up.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #73
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

I found using Shell Optimax that my EB went through more fuel then if I was just using normal unleaded. The injectors started having problems after switching to Optimax. Putting Spitfire didn't help much, so I had the injectors replaced and ran it on normal unleaded. It runs.. err ran fine just with normal unleaded and I got better fuel economy.

Now I use Vortex and Valve Saver in the MkI, haven't had a problem with it. Although that thing does run on the smell of an oily rag. :P
Old 17-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #74
ProjectXR

I usually allways use shell optimax and works pretty well for me....not a drama with it, ive also used synergy 8000 and vortex 98 and found that they work good as well, atm ive got a full tank of vortex but when i run it empty i'll have to give the ultimate a go to see how it is.

so for now i'd say vortex is my choice
ProjectXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #75
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

hmmm i might have to give BP ultimate a go...
i always found that optimax made my car run a bit smoother than the others, as i had weird idle issues as well. i've probably only used Ultimate once, as BP isnt really on my way to work or back etc but i will endeavor to give it a go.

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #76
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
Now I use Vortex and Valve Saver in the MkI, haven't had a problem with it. Although that thing does run on the smell of an oily rag. :P
We used to have an XD that did that. Used to run on exhaust fumes from other cars.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:44 PM   #77
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

If I don't use Optimax in my Rolla, she idles badly, chews through fuel, pings and backfires... I think she is a fusspot and despises your average ULP.

So tell me, as I am uninitiated in the world of petrol, what is the difference between all these fuels?

I tried Vortex the other day (only put in $10 as she was nearly empty), wasn't as responsive as Optimax, but if it's better for my car then I will give it a fair go and do a few tanks over the next few weeks.

I am nowhere near a BP unless I travel for 30 minutes, so unless it is particularly great petrol, I notice a fantastic difference, and I am on my way down the mountains anyhow, I will not be trying Ultimate anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #78
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

After giving Mobil 8000 a go for a while I've actually gone back to Optimax. I found the 8000 to be less responsive down low and top end when to compared to Shell.

My car responds ALOT better to Optimax and I get more out of the tank.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #79
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i paid 88 cents for petrol today and everyone else was 1.02 that was shell at tingalpa b4 the gateway... go figure ..
Old 07-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #80
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my xr6 vct would ping at 4500 rpm+ with regular ULP , however it starts the best with Ultimate and vortex98 , takes ages to start and stumbles with optimax.....

When driving however , the all feel the same to me with the exception of ULP

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 11:05 PM   #81
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1.14 i wish down im melb its been 1.17 for the last 4 weeks and round 1.23 on weekends
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #82
pb02
inconceivable!

I've used Optimax for years and would swear by it, that is until I tried BP ultimate.
I get on average 30-50 kms more per tank and the car runs much better!
On a hot day with the air con full blast I would have trouble with the idle and the car would suffer from heat soak. I've never once had any idle problems like that with the BP Ultimate.
Only problem is there is no BP near where I live!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #83
jaredthecabot

Go buy the latest edition of 'Autosalon' magazine... They sent premium from the 4 main retailers to a lab that does octane testing for a blind test. the result?
BP Ulitmate 98.5
Mobil Synergy 98.5
Vortex 98 98.5
Caltex Optimax 98.6
Have a look next time you're at the newsagents...

Although this doesnt take into account the detergents etc.. but is interesting nonetheless
Old 08-04-2005, 09:44 PM   #84
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've been running both 98 Vortex and Ultimate for a while. For some reason when I fill up with Vortex 95, the gauge takes an eternity to register what's in the tank. I don't have that problem with the other two.
I found I get better milage from the Vortex and more punch from the Ultimate but less milage.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #85
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Running my first tank of Vortex 98 (took ages to find it available) & it feels OK aganist my regualr Optimax & BP Ultimate.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #86
james

i have had a shit run of 98 fuel lately, im sticking with BP Ultimate 98

Caltex 98 - inconsistant
Optimax - inconsistant
Synergy - Good and bad batches
Old 11-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #87
neil101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Optimax or ultimate, both seem to do the job okay for me I have had one bad tank of optimax. Point of interest my ED (which is modded) run fine on either I get the best economy out of optimax but she revs a lot smoother on ultimate. My XR8 runs best on optimax go figure.
My Dad was telling me (he used to work for shell in sydney) that Bp servo's in sydney is basicly shell fuel anyway with a few extra additives I don't know if this is the case with there premiums though.

Neil

03 XR6T lighting strike auto prem sound 19's
383.9rwkw

96 EF series 2 XR8 sedan manual
neil101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post