Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Default Throttle body anyone?

I read a lot abt throttle bodies in american forums. They go on and on abt throttle response. Now I do understand theres no/marginal performance gain. But I wouldn't mind a bit more throttle response from my focus.

Has anyone down here tried them?...I wanna hear from them

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
simonr
Focus Rookie

ive got one!! Focus Central 65m... i picked up for 200bux but its sitting in my garage! they are hard to put in! i snapped my TPS twice trying!!!

im gonna get it put in next time i goto my mechanic!!! for my next service which is coming up very soon!
Old 16-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Keep me informed......Im getting one pretty soon anyway. Prolly FC or CFM

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Old 21-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
roden21
RODENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifeliveit
Now I do understand theres no/marginal performance gain.
Now please, don't get me wrong but surely this can't be true ?

Replacing the OE part with a 65 plus diameter thottle body MUST give the engine a noticable power gain. The least you are doing is allowing an increased air-flow IN to the system, the same way a free flowing air filter etc. does and so on through the engine to an increased diameter exhaust to allow the unrestricted air OUT.
roden21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Contrary to popular belief, a larger throttle body does not necessarily give MORE air to the engine. Even though the dia of the throttle body is increased, the size of the inlet manifold remains the same.

What a larger throttle body does, is it gives the extra amount of air the engine needs ( like when u stomp the pedal), WITHOUT DELAY, instead of sucking it all the way from the airfilter. Hence the improvement in throttle response.

Old 21-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
roden21
RODENT

Sorry 1lifeliveit, I stand corrected :(
Old 21-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

It depends on the restriction. If the engine is getting all the air it can use, then creating a bigger inlet for the air will not improve air flow because the engine frankly can't use it. Otherwise you could simply keep going up in size in the throttle body and get constantly improving performance. (Let's try a 100mm throttlebody!!!)Similarly if a 3'' exhaust is allowing all of the exhaust gases to escape easily, then putting on a 4.5" exhuast is not going to allow even more exhaust gas to escape.(ignoring backpressure issues etc etc)

You can only increase intake and exhaust flows to a level where the cylinder head can handle it. Giving the head more air than it can handle won't increase performance.

In the High-Performance Ford Focus Builder's Handbook, it suggests that the standard Focus throttle body is not, in itself, a restriction:

"Adding the Focus Central 65mm throttle body resulted in a gain of 1-2 horsepower, with the majority of the gains coming after 4,000rpm. Apparently the stock throttle body did not represent much of a restriction at the power level"

However when tested on a 200hp supercharged Focus (therefore more air being drawn through the system), adding the 65mm throttle body (before the supercharger) did show an increase of 12-13 horsepower

On a turbo however (remembering that the turbo is before the throttle body) the 65mm showed no performance gain compared to stock throttle body, since the turbo was able to force sufficient air through the throttle body.

Wish I could have said it shorter than that!!!!

(And just saw there were two replies while I was typing!!)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
roden21
RODENT

With ALL of that taken in to consideration, ie, the OE throttle body on a normally aspirated Focus not being a restriction, does anyone know if work can be carried out on it to improve the throttle responce. If this is the case, it could save some of us some hard earnt cash through not having to purchase a new throttle body from OS.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

On the LS focus you would need to get a flash tuner and change the throttle body mapping
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

U can port the OE throttle - which means instaed of buying a bigger throttle body, u can kinda shave the inner side of the TB to make it bigger. Im not a big fan of this. But....

See this

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=58

Old 22-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Run on 98 Octane, use a high flow air filter and good spark plugs and leads, that should keep it snappy all for less than the price of a Throttle body.
Old 22-02-2007, 12:53 AM   #12
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

I do all of the above...and it is kinda snappy...but I want it snappIER :-)

Old 22-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Then I'm afraid you need to start spending big bucks for 1-2 HP. That or get a supercharger.
Old 23-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #14
simonr
Focus Rookie

Ok so i took my car in for a service and now im FINALLY getting my throttle body put in by my mechanic..

I previously tried to put it in myself with no luck..

My mechanic tried but he said the engine light came on and was idling rougly..

So apparently the holes that were pre drilled on the TB was wrong.. So he sent my car off to an auto electrician to fix it all up.!

So i should get the car back tommorrow morning.. Im not expectin much power increase but hopefully the throttle response will be much better..

I shall let ya know!!
Old 23-05-2007, 11:46 PM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

okay my turn.. hehehe

firstly.. me and my mum both have WP zetecs. my mums one is stock as a rock.. like stock..

on mine i have had a 2" cat back exhaust done with a pod filter and i only run 98...

i noticed that the Resoponse on the car has Increased considerably to the point that when i get in my mums car and drive it (both manual) when i shift the revs dont have time to change/move up or down b4 i have it in the next gear..like when you take your foot of the accelerator clutch in then change clutch out and accelerate.. that car hasnt even responded to the fact that the accelerator isnt in..

basically. b4 you go mucking around with all that.. try getting an 2" catback exhaust, a cold air intake and run 98.. you will notice that it will become EXPTREMELY snappy cause you guys have cable driven TB's. mine is electronic... therefore there will always be that little bit of lag....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:52 AM   #16
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

IIRC LS is drive by wire too
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #17
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifeliveit
U can port the OE throttle - which means instaed of buying a bigger throttle body, u can kinda shave the inner side of the TB to make it bigger. Im not a big fan of this. But....See this
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=58
From what I've heared about doing this it's not worth doing and there's other problem.
Im not a fan as well.
What else are you going to do to the engine?
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
IIRC LS is drive by wire too
Absolutely True Piotr, i should of make myself clear sorry. was talking to 1lifelivit in regards the LR.

Old 24-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #19
simonr
Focus Rookie

Got it done this morning... and woah it makes a difference.. its like pressing the sport button or something.. instead of stomping on the throttle and waiting a half a second to rev.. its instant.. i was doing burnouts all the way to work..
also had my spark plugs done and got my lights fixed.. Havent noticed much of a power increase.. but i havent too hard,,
Old 24-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #20
simonr
Focus Rookie

Ahh yer and according to the Auto Electrician the PreDrilled hole was 0.8V out.. So they redriled another set
Old 24-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
Got it done this morning... and woah it makes a difference.. its like pressing the sport button or something.. instead of stomping on the throttle and waiting a half a second to rev.. its instant.. i was doing burnouts all the way to work..
also had my spark plugs done and got my lights fixed.. Havent noticed much of a power increase.. but i havent too hard,,
It's an LR... give it 48 hours and it'll start running rich again...
Old 25-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #22
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I figured the standard opening on the LS is about 55mm which is enuf flow for over 180 HP it's not worth messing with the standard TB. Working upstream the flex airhose and filter box could use some werk. I was thinking of an under bonnet pod connected by smooth silicon hose to TB but again I felt the gains would be small.

One day I might take the airbox off to a flow bench test and see for real what gains are lurking there.

I think the head flows ok as standard from what I read somewhere - 200 HP with 4 x TB and 3rd party ECU. The rest of the engine was completely standard, they didnt even take the cam covers off.

4 x TB would be a cheaper alternative to turbo I think wouldnt it?
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #23
photn
AFF Post NAZI

They are worth quite a Few Quid mate... looking at a couple of G.

Old 27-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr

Mmmmmmmm.........so it does work....if only it were a bit easier to put in...nyway thanks for letting us know...I still got it in mind...bloody held up with moving....would be doing it (TB) sometime soon

Some have had sticky throttles.....ny probs like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
okay my turn.. hehehe

firstly.. me and my mum both have WP zetecs. my mums one is stock as a rock.. like stock..

on mine i have had a 2" cat back exhaust done with a pod filter and i only run 98...

i noticed that the Resoponse on the car has Increased considerably to the point that when i get in my mums car and drive it (both manual) when i shift the revs dont have time to change/move up or down b4 i have it in the next gear..like when you take your foot of the accelerator clutch in then change clutch out and accelerate.. that car hasnt even responded to the fact that the accelerator isnt in..

basically. b4 you go mucking around with all that.. try getting an 2" catback exhaust, a cold air intake and run 98.. you will notice that it will become EXPTREMELY snappy cause you guys have cable driven TB's. mine is electronic... therefore there will always be that little bit of lag....
Yeah I always have run in it 98 octane (with a high flow filter) and boy it DOES make a huge diff

2" catback...yeah want that as well......so many plans...so little money :