Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default AU1 Fairmont climate control display problem

Hello

My Dad has an AU1 Fairmont. His little climate control display has been playing up in an unusual manner. The numbers sort of fade away. Sometimes you can see some numbers and sometimes you can see other numbers, but rarely can you see everything at once. For example, when it displays outside temp, you often see 4 degrees instead of 24 degrees and things like that...

The weird thing is that every now and then, the entire screen works properly, just for a bit. Then it goes back to is usual partial view which it has been doing for a few months now.

Is there likely to be some connection problem? The globes are obviously not the problem as it does periodically come back on properly and then parts of it disappear. It has had other problems before and the display has been taken apart and fixed, for other reasons. Thinking something may have been damaged or knocked in the process.

Any ideas? I know the are temperamental things!

Thanks

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
peterban
AULTD

Do a search on this as there is a mob in Vic that fix them for about $100 sent through the post.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most companies that fix them seem to do it on a swap-over basis. If you want the one you have repaired, there's a place in Mitcham called Ringwood Speedo's that will fix it for $75. It's the strip that runs behind the LCD panel, it gets affected by the heat.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I posted mine to this guy. Got it back fixed a few days later.

http://www.geocities.com/liquidxtal/index_ford.html
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Common Problem with these , mums has fried too , getting new unit from ford - $298

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
XRchic
Hello

Thanks guys! Dad is sending his unit off to that guy in Melbourne, as per the link above. Thanks for your help!

Jac

Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Stop!!! Drop it into the liqidxtal guy and get it fixed and warranteed for $70 ish!!
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
Stop!!! Drop it into the liqidxtal guy and get it fixed and warranteed for $70 ish!!
I think thats who I meant... LOL. I thought he was in Melbourne, but maybe he isnt. Anyway, thats the one. I had a look in the Common Problem thread and saw lots of refences to it! Good stuff, he is very happy.

By the way, good idea on the Common Problems thread, excellent idea!

Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Norton
Tuned by HPF

I'm up to my 4th display in 5 years (AU3 Fairmont).

Lucky it's still got extended warranty....As soon as I start to lose digits it goes in for a new one!

I will run out of warranty in a year or so and then it's at my cost.

Regards.

Norton
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #10
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I posted mine to this guy. Got it back fixed a few days later.

http://www.geocities.com/liquidxtal/index_ford.html
I just wanted to say thanks for the info guys! Dad posted it off to this guy last Monday and received it back on Thursday, all fixed! It had been driving Dad crazy for ages and he he is absolutely stoked. He is really happy with it and he is sending the guy an email to thank him for his good work and good service too!

He would recommend this guy to anyone who has a similar problem!

Thanks

Jac

Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #11
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I just wanted to say thanks for the info guys! Dad posted it off to this guy last Monday and received it back on Thursday, all fixed! It had been driving Dad crazy for ages and he he is absolutely stoked. He is really happy with it and he is sending the guy an email to thank him for his good work and good service too!

He would recommend this guy to anyone who has a similar problem!

Thanks

Jac
Glad he's got it sorted.

I was really impressed with the fixer guy (can't think of his name).

A relatively inexpensive fix for something that is so noticeable when it's not working correctly.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #12
Kryton

i have a LCD temperature sensor for my RC cars.
sometimes the LCD display does the same as described above....fades out etc.
a few minutes in the freezer seems to fix it for long time.
dont really know how you would go about getting freezing air onto the display in your car but that is all it needs to fix it.
might even be to just go to the trouble to remove it and put it in the feezer for a while...unless you can think of another way?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
mickbag
innocent bystander

I went to the guy in Melbourne that ronwest mentioned http://www.geocities.com/liquidxtal/index_ford.html
... his name is Ayhan and he is Moorabbin... he did an on-the-spot changeover with a 12 month warranty for $120 or he could repair my old one for $110 (but I would have to come back and collect it later in the day)... he takes it out and puts it back in for that price... very friendly and quick... recommended. Now our Fairmont's interior is perfect!

Last edited by mickbag; 04-07-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: adding
mickbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #14
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Yours too ey?? .. god it annoys me .. 1 thing us fairmont boys have to suffer with!!!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nversace
Yours too ey?? .. god it annoys me .. 1 thing us fairmont boys have to suffer with!!!
not just Fairmonts and at least you can get change over units, LTDs have different woodgrain to the Fairmont/ Fairlanes and guess what they are scarce as hens teeth and naturally he didn't have a change over unit in stock. still to his credit Ayhan took mine out, rebuilt it and reinstalled it in under 2 hours and threw in a cup of coffee as well... definately recomended
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #16
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Common Problem with these , mums has fried too , getting new unit from ford - $298
No ! Stop - don't spend the money - you can fix it for less than $80 using the liquidxtal guy!
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #17
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nversace
The AU message diisplay centre is an abortion of a design. I know the person who was responsible for that product and it doesn't surprise me that the MDC has many problems.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post