Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Auuteage

Default how much for a used diff centre guys?

What would I be looking at?

Being poor, Im not going to be paying $1300 to get a reco one put in.

Ill get someone to fit a used one, and it will last as long as it lasts.

I think you have to replace both wheel bearings as well dont you? thanks...

Auuteage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends on where you live mate.have a hunt around ,you should be able to get a reco one fitted for under a grand.expect another 300 or so for for some gears if you want to change the ratio while your at it.
don't worry about the wheel bearings they'l be fine
Old 21-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Auuteage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
depends on where you live mate.have a hunt around ,you should be able to get a reco one fitted for under a grand.expect another 300 or so for for some gears if you want to change the ratio while your at it.
don't worry about the wheel bearings they'l be fine

this is interesting. The mechanic told me that first up to replacve the wheel bearings to see if that is the cause. If that dosent fix it, it would be the diff, as the diffs crapping out is common on AU's. But having replaced the bearings wont be a waste IF it IS the diff, as you would have to replace them anyway when putting in a new diff centre. hmmmm.

Dunno. All I know is ,. is the car currently sounds like a prop aeroplane!
Old 21-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auuteage
this is interesting. The mechanic told me that first up to replacve the wheel bearings to see if that is the cause. If that dosent fix it, it would be the diff, as the diffs crapping out is common on AU's. But having replaced the bearings wont be a waste IF it IS the diff, as you would have to replace them anyway when putting in a new diff centre. hmmmm.

Dunno. All I know is ,. is the car currently sounds like a prop aeroplane!
Have you tried jacking the car, one side at a time, start it and put in gear (hope it not a LSD!) and see if you can pick where the sound is coming from? Another trick is cut a metre or two off the garden hose and put one end to you ear and the other on the diff or bearing. You will soon find out whats up! Mechanics can do this a lot safer on a hoist so I would be putting a big question mark next to your bloke. DONT FORGET to chock the front wheels. Both sides and back and front. AND DONT GET UNDER THE CAR WHILE THIS IS GOING ON!!
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Auuteage

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella
Have you tried jacking the car, one side at a time, start it and put in gear (hope it not a LSD!) and see if you can pick where the sound is coming from? Another trick is cut a metre or two off the garden hose and put one end to you ear and the other on the diff or bearing. You will soon find out whats up! Mechanics can do this a lot safer on a hoist so I would be putting a big question mark next to your bloke. DONT FORGET to chock the front wheels. Both sides and back and front. AND DONT GET UNDER THE CAR WHILE THIS IS GOING ON!!
No I havent, Im not experienced enough in these matters to do that, which is really annoying. Accelerating a car to 80 on a jack is enough to frighten the bejesus out of me anyway.

The mechanic did diagnose the diff as the problem by being in the car as I drove it. He didnt get up on a hoist and look at it or anything. I \ think I need to find out for sure first, though he did seem pretty sure that he couldnt think of what else it would be...
Old 21-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
Another trick is cut a metre or two off the garden hose and put one end to you ear and the other on the diff or bearing
A stick or broom handle works best
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
No I havent, Im not experienced enough in these matters to do that, which is really annoying. Accelerating a car to 80 on a jack is enough to frighten the bejesus out of me anyway.

The mechanic did diagnose the diff as the problem by being in the car as I drove it. He didnt get up on a hoist and look at it or anything. I \ think I need to find out for sure first, though he did seem pretty sure that he couldnt think of what else it would be...
You do not have to accelerate -just put it in gear and let it idle...
Old 21-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Get an new mechanic.... When driving put it in neutral and see if it is still grinding away. If it is it is probably a wheel bearing. Then you can go around left and right hand corners to identify which one. A diff usually only makes noise when under load - so when you deaccalerate the noise should change and it should get a lot quieter. You never know, it may be a universal joint as well. But definatly get someone who knows what they are doing to do any work for you, other wise they are going to charge like wounded bull's.
Old 22-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
Auuteage

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella
Get an new mechanic.... When driving put it in neutral and see if it is still grinding away. If it is it is probably a wheel bearing. Then you can go around left and right hand corners to identify which one. A diff usually only makes noise when under load - so when you deaccalerate the noise should change and it should get a lot quieter. You never know, it may be a universal joint as well. But definatly get someone who knows what they are doing to do any work for you, other wise they are going to charge like wounded bull's.

Well there is no noise in neutral. Yes under load there is noise, BUT it does change when I get off the accelerator but it gets maybe even louder. What does this tell you?
Old 22-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Sounds like wheel bearings for sure, they can be very annoying!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Auuteage

Quote:
Well there is no noise in neutral. Yes under load there is noise, BUT it does change when I get off the accelerator but it gets maybe even louder. What does this tell you?

sorry, if I put it in neutral while in motion, YES the noise is stil there. Hmmm, so guys...we are thinking more like a wheel bearing at the moment? Ill get another second opinion on it this week. But I cant do it till the weekend. Heres hoping if it is a bearing it dosent seize before hand. I have 1500kmss to get through before it will be looked at.
Old 22-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a similar noise at around 90km/h, it vibrates when accelerating and when decelerating, from anything over 90 sounds like an aeroplane and vibrates like anything, it seems like it could be uni joints on mine....putting in neutral lessens the noise and vibration a bit, but it's still there....
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
Auuteage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
i have a similar noise at around 90km/h, it vibrates when accelerating and when decelerating, from anything over 90 sounds like an aeroplane and vibrates like anything, it seems like it could be uni joints on mine....putting in neutral lessens the noise and vibration a bit, but it's still there....

Thats exactly what I have going on, exactly. Not a heap of vibrating, but still there is a bit. Certainly sounds like a prop plane. Uni joint hey? Do you know if they are likely to seize up in a hurry?
Old 22-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it won't sieze as such, they just wear out and get loose...all i know is it's definitely coming from the rear end, where i can't tell cause i have noone else to drive the car or listen in the back for the noise...but if it's uni joints they can cause driveshaft vibrations
Old 22-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
Auuteage

Quote:
it won't sieze as such, they just wear out and get loose...all i know is it's definitely coming from the rear end, where i can't tell cause i have noone else to drive the car or listen in the back for the noise...but if it's uni joints they can cause driveshaft vibrations

would these vibrations be magnified when under braking? Im finding the vibration/shaking most there...
Old 22-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably not, does it vibrate through the steering wheel when braking or in the rear? it could be as mentioned wheel bearings or even brakes or tyre pressures/balance
Old 22-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #17
Auuteage

Quote:
probably not, does it vibrate through the steering wheel when braking or in the rear? it could be as mentioned wheel bearings or even brakes or tyre pressures/balance
through the steering wheel. Its not massive, but its there. Its the aeroplane noise Im most keen on diagnosing first. Thats the problem.
Old 22-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #18
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

around what speed does it do it? does it do it only when braking or if you only take your foot off the accelerator, without braking?
Old 22-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
Auuteage

Quote:
around what speed does it do it? does it do it only when braking or if you only take your foot off the accelerator, without braking?
Only under braking, no vibrating otherwise that I notice. The plane noise comes in around 80 or so, and changes when I get off the accelarator, but is still just as loud.