Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Default My day at Wakefield Park

On Sunday I took the Fofo down to Goulburn to compete in a Supersprint being run by Thornleigh Car Club.

Had an absolute blast.

I hadn't competed down there for nearly two years so i was feeling a little rusty. Not to mention the last time i was down there i was running in a Datsun 1600 rally car that wasn't really set up for tar work.
I'd spent the three previous weekends working on the car, getting it up to scratch and was pretty pleased with how it was running.

Down there I was running a newly installed HiTech mufflers system (extractors, hi-flo cat, 2.25" cat back) and a set of Khumo v700 rubbers, half worn on the back, came off a sports sedan I think, and a brand new set on the front which my brother in-law hooked me up with cos he sells racing tyres. Apart from that the car is stock (k+n panel filter but that hardly counts as a mod)

I started the day doing 1min 25s but by the end of the day (and the end of the rear tyres) i was doing 1min 20s (can't remember the exact time down to hundredths, I'll post them when i get the official results if anyone wants to compare).

That time put me miles ahead of the other car in my class, it was a Subaru impressa GS or something, the front wheel drive model. I think the best i saw him do all day was a 1min 28 or something.
In fact i was at the pointy end of type 2 in my engine cap class (type 2 is defined as Modified road registered vehicles) and could have possibly won that class)

The highlight of the day was when I was sent out with a mk II (or mkIII not sure) Toyota supra who nearly pushed me off the track BEFORE we passed the timing marker (technically we were still warming up. supersprints are a time based race, not a position type event. You need to put in the best time, not finish first) and then proceeded to hold me up through the twisty part in the middle of the track for those who know it. I then went on the embarrass him by leaving him for dead in a straight line drag down the main straight:the_finge He then nearly ran into me at turn 1 which really ****ed me off because he's supposed to give me room but there was no way he was going to catch me through the corners up the top of the circuit. I think he got the message because i didn't see him for the rest of the run.
i proved my point by putting 3secs on him on my next run :

What the car did do:
Went like the clappers
surprised me by not getting a lot of body roll
used bugger all fuel
The clutch lasted the distance!, it used to make a squeak under heavy load but now it doesn't.
Showed up a few dedicated race cars (most likely driven by not so dedicated race drivers hehe)
most importantly it beat my sisters V8 commodore rally car a few times. That was the main goal for the day, in the same car we're usually on par with each other, even though she's had a few years experience on me.

I'll post some photos when i get them off my dad's camera.

A quick thanks to you guys for giving me all the help and info i needed while i was preparing my car for this event, Cheers.

Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post