Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Ronz
Starter Motor

Default Sat nav, your tips

Hi guys, im looking at investing in a gps of some sort. L like the tomtom one xl but Ive heard mixed things about them.

I was just wondering what you guys recommend and have in your cars just so i can narrow down my search (theres just too many on the market).

If you can give me the good AND the bad points it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ronz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
scooby

I have the Tomtom One (not the new XL). I like it. All the functions are accessed via touch screen, theres only one button for on/off. Only problem I have with it is that I can't set it up to warn of fixed speed cameras. I know it can do this. If anyone knows how, please let me know.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find that I rarely look at the map. So the voice clarity needs to be high quality. The cheaper units wont have a one touch volume control option to adjust the volume. Its anoying to have to go into the menu system to turn the volume up or down.

Im not sure if its optional on better units to search by street name first but on my VDO unit you have to search by suburb first. Makes it hard to search for a street that runs thru different suburbs.

If you make a wrong turn the GPS should recalulate its directions quickly. Nothing worse then continuing to drive in the wrong direction while the GPS unit thinks for eternity about the best way to correct your course.

Good luck and dont rush in.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Ronz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby
I have the Tomtom One (not the new XL). I like it. All the functions are accessed via touch screen, theres only one button for on/off. Only problem I have with it is that I can't set it up to warn of fixed speed cameras. I know it can do this. If anyone knows how, please let me know.

What is the difference between the xl and the standard tomtom one apart from the aesthetics? The price difference is around $100-150 and might be a good option for me. How is it with recalculating the route if you miss a turn?

I went and had a look at the tomtom one xl today and i really like it, but like i said, i have heard mixed reports.

But so far its on the top of my list.

As for the speed cameras, this site was recommended to me by a guy at work. http://www.ozpoi.com/Safety_Cameras.html

It also has service stations, banks etc.
Ronz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
mudwaa

I have the Garmin Nuvi310. had it a while and pretty happy with it. has bluettoth for phone which i one reason i bought it. saves getting a hands-free kit. touch screen. good voice directions. go to Garmin site to d/load redlight and fixed speed camera software. only prob is it and any sat/nav can get confused in the city. tells to turn right when there is an island in the middle and such, but on the whole they are very handy especially if you have no idea how to get somewhere.
mudwaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Can't go wrong with a Nokia 6110!
Old 22-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
Can't go wrong with a Nokia 6110!
Or in my case a Nokia N70 with a GPS receiver and Tom Tom software and maps
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have TomTom OneXL. I like it... got it for $560 with a 2Gb SD card thrown in by JB Hi-Fi, so i thought that was a good deal.

It's pretty good, it's very accurate. But as with all GPS, you also have to use your brand and/or common sense.

Example 1 - My GPS directed me to turn right but there's a "no right turn signs" (this was in Parramatta).
I dun think my TomTom OneXL recognizes "no right turns".

Example 2 - My GPS went emo when I use it on CBD ("Timmeh" was there to witness it). It just couldnt locate me nor give me directions. Tim reckons it's the tall buildings that hinders the satelite thingi.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
mudwaa

i know that some of the Nokias now have GPS but i think u are charged to use it. is that correct?
mudwaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I second the Garmin Nuvi range, they're awesome and the models with bluetooth are fantastic.

I have a VDO Dayton unit and it's pretty average but does the job. Just.
Old 22-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #11
morbo

Depends on what nokia you get i think. If you have a dedicated GPS I think it might be free. I think Nokia 6110 uses Route66 or something? I may be wrong.

I've had TomTom and Nokia Maps running on my Nokia e65. Ive found the tomtom to be really better in routing. Its generally a lot simplier and often the route is much more faster than the Nokia Map's suggestion. That said, i prefer the Nokia Map's voice instructions - a lot more intuitive imho.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
raymon81

I have a Garmin and i like it. I like it alot. Can't go wrong with Garmin. Buy a Garmin.
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Yeh it uses Route 66 but the maps are included free and there's no charge to use it. It's totally stand-alone GPS.
Old 23-09-2007, 01:49 AM   #14
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a look at the new NAVMAN series S30 S50 S80 S90i

Just come into the market and are top units for the asking price.

90% of navigation is voice guidence so only 10% just to have a quick look at the screen to see a street name but now with the new NAVMAN there is text to speach.

EG. in 200m turn left onto Canterbury Road
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby
I have the TomTom ONE and its brialliant, have made my own custom menu etc for it as well.

I also have mine setup for all fixed speed cameras, and can add more if they are not there.

Send me a PM and ill help you out with it.

Chris
Old 23-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #16
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronz
What is the difference between the xl and the standard tomtom one apart from the aesthetics? .
The only difference between the ONE and the ONE XL, is the XL is a wide screen version.
Old 24-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
amlohac

stay away from the nokia gps phones they suck hard. Get a dedicated GPS like a tomtom or a navman, i have a navman, about 2 years old now, the only problem i have is that in some built up areas in the cbd in melbourne satellite connection is a bit slow. But im sure thats all been smoothed out by now.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Street Directory?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #19
scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Street Directory?
So old skool...we're gadget freaks
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #20
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Street Directory?
ahhh... the rice boys really like their fully sick aftermarket UBD's....

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #21
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Have a look at the new NAVMAN series S30 S50 S80 S90i

Just come into the market and are top units for the asking price.

90% of navigation is voice guidence so only 10% just to have a quick look at the screen to see a street name but now with the new NAVMAN there is text to speach.

EG. in 200m turn left onto Canterbury Road
I agree. These look good. Only the S30 is out. The others come out soon. I don't think all of them do text to speech.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #22
Ausrodder
EL XR8 LS Focus

Garman's work really good. All the way from Melbourne to the middle of Queensland!
Ausrodder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #23
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like that one - tells you of the street name.

My old Tom Tom may be retired yet..
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #24
NA XR6
!!

Navman never had a drama with it
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #25
photn
AFF Post NAZI

SydWay Always Accurate, UBD is great too.. never let you down and can survive a car rolling!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

We've found a lot of Garmin units to be coming back into work as returns due to faulty screens etc, the LCD's just for some reason tend to die or display really rough, not sure why.

Personally Im a Navman fan and would have one over a Garmin, havent used the new S30 yet but have used every other one in their old range, and for the price ($388) the S30 would be a bargain.

Pioneer have also released their AVICS2 not long ago, and it looks like an excellent unit. Yet to try it on a long distance trip but the bluetooth capacity is very strong (I can connect to it when Im about 200m up the road from work) and it's a nice looking unit.

If you want in-dash options, VDO also do a fair few systems and are the OEM ones on a lot of Ford vehicles.
Old 29-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #27
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Had a look at the Navman S30 today. Looks the goods. No text-to-speech or BT though. But at 350 bucks, its pretty good value.

Looked at a Garmin Nuvi 250W a couple of weeks ago. That was pretty good too. No Text-to-Speech or BT either. It seems to have gone up in price though. Couple of weeks ago, you could get them for 410. Now cheapest I can find is 540 bucks.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post