Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Classifieds suggestion?

just wondering if its possible to consider putting in the suburb as well as the state in the classifieds catagory? it seems im always asking location on stuff. Thoughts?

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Depends on how much information we really want to gather, see what others think.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any chance of being allowed to have a x-series only for sale section?
It would be easier than having to sort thru the hundreds of e-series for sale threads just to find parts for real cars!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz351
It would be easier than having to sort thru the hundreds of e-series for sale threads just to find parts for real cars!
Some people might argue the fact that a XC is a real car! : :
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Most people wouldn't. : : :
Old 08-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
VIBEBA
huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Is this guy for real or what cuz??:

VIBEBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
VIBEBA
huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351
just wondering if its possible to consider putting in the suburb as well as the state in the classifieds catagory? it seems im always asking location on stuff. Thoughts?
Sounds ok to me..

VIBEBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz351

Definately required- for sale posts find themselves pushed out of the way on the first day.......categorisation would make this so much easier to buy/sell.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any decision on the x-series for sale section?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I would be more inclined to start a E series Sales section than run with an X series one at this stage
Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

I already suggested that to the mods of the ozecruisers, but was pretty much pushed to the kerb with it! which i think is ridiculous.

cheers
scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

thats because you mentioned it
Old 15-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
LimeGlaze
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
Definately required- for sale posts find themselves pushed out of the way on the first day.......categorisation would make this so much easier to buy/sell.

Agreed! Perhaps a "Pre EA Falcon" and "EA Falcon on" section for Falcon Parts, and "Other Ford Vehicle Parts" criteria so as not to add too many thread stubs, while still giving some organisation to the classifieds? I feel you'd also have to apply this categoristation to both For Sale and Wanted sections to make it fully workable.
LimeGlaze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

I think the reason the "issues" seem to be common with the FS forums is because it is the forum where users have the most controlover what gets posted, and more importantly, how it gets posted.

We have implemented templates that now require you to post pictures, as well as a set method of describing the parts and their location. I'm not sold on putting the suburb into the thread title as a rule, mainly because it would be very difficult to manage (how many different ways of naming suburbs are there - quite a few).

In regards to seperate sections for models - I'll be honest and say a straight out NO to this IMHO. Reason being where do you stop - E/AU/BA/BF/FPV/Tickford etc - and where do parts that fit multiple models go etc. Very difficult to manage and maintain.

All of these issues can be solved by users making sure they accurately represent and fill in the information required to start a FS thread. Read the stickies in the FS forums to see what this is, and if we can all start doing this, I think we will find no further need for classification.
Old 15-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #15
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I'm not sold on putting the suburb into the thread title as a rule, mainly because it would be very difficult to manage (how many different ways of naming suburbs are there - quite a few).
What about the post code and state??
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
What about the post code and state??
state is already visible in thread titles, postcode is a good idea though.
Old 19-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #17
LimeGlaze
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I think the reason the "issues" seem to be common with the FS forums is because it is the forum where users have the most controlover what gets posted, and more importantly, how it gets posted.

We have implemented templates that now require you to post pictures, as well as a set method of describing the parts and their location. I'm not sold on putting the suburb into the thread title as a rule, mainly because it would be very difficult to manage (how many different ways of naming suburbs are there - quite a few).

In regards to seperate sections for models - I'll be honest and say a straight out NO to this IMHO. Reason being where do you stop - E/AU/BA/BF/FPV/Tickford etc - and where do parts that fit multiple models go etc. Very difficult to manage and maintain.

All of these issues can be solved by users making sure they accurately represent and fill in the information required to start a FS thread. Read the stickies in the FS forums to see what this is, and if we can all start doing this, I think we will find no further need for classification.

I would argue the main issue is the rate of page rollover in the classifieds, along with the current mixture of ads within each section, not the level of poster control on content?! Yes I will agree there are some threads with inaddequate info in both the thread title and decription proper, something the current template has obviously tried to rectify. For example - location - I can't begin to tell you how much it sh its me when people put something "funny" in their location info for their user info! Sure privacy and security are to be considered, but even using a simple state abreviation gives us all a better idea of general location for items - and lets not forget, some items just aren't worth the freight at the end of the day?!

In regards to sperate sections, no, I never suggested seperate sections for seperate models - I find the fast index long enough, let alone breaking it up even more - lets face it, it too has it's quote of "dormant" sections. I do feel the classified section would prove a more valuable tool if there was some better model organisation to it. For example, I'm primarily interested in the older model Falcons - I have 4 XA's and as such keep an eye on parts for this model. Now while I'm happy to also consider later model Falcons for suitable interchangable parts (such as later model radiators, cooling fans, wheels (of suitable offset), ...), I can see obvious changes on models where I can find very little that would interest me, as I sure owners of those models would find with my model of choice. Instead we both fight each other for prime billing on the front of the classified pages?!

May I suggest the classified sections be considered for seperation and listed as such - maintain the current seperation of the classifieds, then subsections to those sections:

- Pre AU Falcon - keeps all us old school boys happy with correct offset wheels, interchangable trim between models, ...
- AU Falcon on - For all later model Falcons, with those funny offset wheels that don't fit the earlier models, all that plastic trim, most of which you can still buy new from the dealer, ..., and lets face it - there is alot more spare parts for these vehicles than the earlier models.
- Other Ford - cos it is fordforums, not falconforums!
- Non Model Specific - for interchangable parts between models (eg, tyres, steering wheels (once you have the model correct boss to fit), stereos, aftermarket goodies, ...).

I would hope self management would make the classifieds easier to maintain if given some form of seperation, than they are now - I must admit, I do find them currently very labour intensive to modify original posts, and as such I don't bother - and unfortunately the "deadwood" within threads makes them time consuming to trek through. The inablitiy to modify posts is also something I feel needs attention - short of hassling a Mod to change an ad to throw in a "sold" word in the title, I fail to see the validity in posting "sold" to a thread, only to knock still viable threads, further down the list.

b2tf, I agree with you on the point of having forum users correctly fill out info, however I do feel they need attention to be better utilised. Sure if a flood of XA Falcon parts (or "Pre AU Falcon" parts _2: ) come onto the market, and I have to trudge 8 pages back to my add, so be it, but it would be nice to have a more workable resource at hand. I've written my reply to you, without any capricious intentions,so if I have offended you with my comments, I appologise in advance - I am simply seeking a better resource than is currently present.
LimeGlaze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #18
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

i like the above idea

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Agree with LimeGlaze - with separate sections you wouldn't see as much bumping with sellers trying to stay visible at the top of the list, and being more model specific would probably encourage more users to post for sale / wanted adds.

As for adding postcodes as part of the selling template I think this is an excellent idea - will also help when trying to workout postage costs etc...
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'll have a look at this in the New Year, and see what we can come up with. I do have a few ideas which will be implemented soon.
Old 24-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #21
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another suggestion - what about breaking up the car parts by part type? Seen another site do it quite successfully.
eg:
Wheels and Tyres
Body
Trim
Drive Line
Stereo
Wrecking
Other
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #22
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Admins / Mods,

Just wondering if any more thought has gone into splitting up the FS sections either by model or by part. The turnover is quite high at the moment and sellers who are doing the right thing by not bumping are disappearing into the ether pretty quickly.

Another suggestion I have is to limit any FS thread to either the thread starter (for updates - clarifications) or mod / admin and force correspondence to PM which would go a long way to cleaning the FS section up.

cheers,
Ben
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #23
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Though it has merrit here are my thoughts

The site does not evolve around the for sale area, we as owners, or the forum, do not generate a revenue stream from it, it is there as an add on benefit.

A large percentage of users who buy and sell items do not contribute to the rest of the site.

As mentioned the site is going into an upgrade cycle, so there will be minimal tweaks based on the unpaid time it takes to do so.

Cheers

Gary