Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
paddy351
Ford Nut

Default Drag tyres

This topic has been talked of before but this is for drag only rims.

I am running at ford nats in Sept and i would like my xw to have more traction. I am running 15.5's with 185's and 15x8.5 with 265x50x15's and at this stage i would like to only change the rear tyres and rims to a 15x8 or 8.5 and a s/r drag radial 26x10x15. Would they fit and would i gain much in quarter times.

solid 351
toploader
std 9inch 3.5 lsd

Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would gain time if you are loosing time through wheel spin. How much depends on how well you can get the car to hook through the stickier tyres. Just because you run a stickier tyre does not mean that you will eliminate wheel spin. That size tyre should fit, but a 26x9x15 would be better.

What times are you currently running, and what are your 60 foot times?

If this is for your first outing, are your clutch, diff and unis up to it?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
paddy351
Ford Nut

The driveline is about 5,000 k's old. I understand that slicks and more traction will be harder on my driveline. My other thought was take it over as is first time. Do you drop tyre psi on street tyres at the track.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20psi on street tyres will do it just fine.
Slicks can be very hard on a driveline if the car is set to hook properly. Bent tailshafts, busted unis, smashed crown wheel and pinions, busted axles, transmissions cracked etc etc etc. This can even happen in a 300hp slug if the hit is hard enough and the traction is there, and the components are too weak.
It is better to work up to it rather than go all out if you have no previous experience. Learn your way with street tyres, or gentle launches with the slicks. Ask the fellas at the track that are running similar combinations - listen and learn. Most are more than happy to help out with advice.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Paddy351, I'm at the same point as you at the moment, nearly identical in fact! I have serious concerns over my driveline as it is. I'm looking to run around the low 11's mark so I dont have to go the next step with a cage. In order to do that with slicks I'm looking to change out my toploader for a new David Kee's item that is built to handle 600hp, explosion proof flywheel and 31 spline rear end with quality gears and billet axles. I know my clutch and tailshaft can handle the hp. All that gear should allow me to do what I want it to without breaking. Its all easy till you have to find the $$$ for it. Still might be taking mine up in september, might have to put our two white ones up against each other, now that would make a good pic!
XYLINC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #6
paddy351
Ford Nut

Yep we can do that, with the smoke you will only be able to see black stripes and orange stripes. Thanks for the info on tyre psi
Old 08-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Sounds like some fun!! You'll probably find it takes a little time to get it all set up right.

Remember slicks can bog your motor off the line.....so just that you don't stall it for the Holden team, give it a few revs!

Rule of thumb is that whatever you gain on the 60ft time, double it and that's what you'll gain over the total et. Just a rough idea. That takes into account you aren't smoking 2nd and 3rd too :

I'd recommend some solid uni joints and perhaps considered fitting some slapper bars or other rear end control device?

Not sure if you saw my latest effort at the strip with a manual & 9" diff, but the diff saddles can fold up on a hard launch and give you all sorts of issues. You can weld some extra metal plate in there and "box them up" which will stop this. Cheap insurance. I can post some pics if you like? The manuals can hit a lot harder than an auto (depending on clutch) and can put more stress on parts.

What not to do ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfGMaWh4B9A

Go the stick shifters !!!

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
paddy351
Ford Nut

I carn't wait , i havn't drag raced a car before , only bikes. I run a rear swaybar that helps a little but till i get it out there who knows ?

Adrian yes i did see that video , just shows the stress on the drivetrain with Power and Traction. I run a extreem 11inch single plate clutch and f100 uni's lets see how Wilson [the car] holds up.

thanks Pat
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Go WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO N!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
paddy351
Ford Nut

Default Wilson

yes that is him How do i give him traction for the strip ? Wilson just suited the car so well.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #11
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

lol! not sure, but he'd going to lose his hair style at 120mph!