Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
98AUXR6

Default Old Cars - Worth Spending Money On??

Guys, just need an opinion. I was wondering what you guys thought of spending money on old cars. Whilst my car isn't THAT old (1998 AU XR6), it does have a touch over 200 000kms. Thing is, I will probably keep it in the long run as it is serviced on time and presently, has no problems except for a door squeak. For all intensive purposes, it drives like new.

My personal opinion is that a car with this many kilometres isn't worth spending too much on. However, I do get inspired by some of the cars in these web pages and want more.

What do you all think?? :

98AUXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

I personally feel this is a question we all need to answer for ourselves. Mainly because, you'll be the one researching and financing it, so yuo need to be able to be sure yourself that it is worth it.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

If you're going to keep it for the long run, and it drives like new, then i'd say mod it _2: It's definitely worth spending money on if it's in great condition, and the happier you are with it, the longer you'll want to hang on to it.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Man
If you're going to keep it for the long run, and it drives like new, then i'd say mod it _2: It's definitely worth spending money on if it's in great condition, and the happier you are with it, the longer you'll want to hang on to it.
What he said.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98AUXR6
Guys, just need an opinion. I was wondering what you guys thought of spending money on old cars. Whilst my car isn't THAT old (1998 AU XR6), it does have a touch over 200 000kms. :
Ive got a TX5 with 250 000kms on it and its an 89 model. Jeez must do a lot of driving. My rule is if its in good condition and you want to keep it then mod it. This was the case with mine until the clear coat started peeling and a couple of idiots denting it. Im not sure what the life is of an AU engine but would you be getting it rebuilt? Im still on the original motor and the only thing that ive had wrong with it engine wise was water pump and belts. Also had a misfire but it was just an old lead that needed replacing.

I do though think its pointless throwing money at a car that is it sh*t condition to start with unless you got a lot of money but this doesnt seem to be the case with yours. People have had problems with new cars its just the luck of the draw. Cars are unpredictable but generally if they are serviced regularly they should be good. Good luck!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
98AUXR6

We have done alot of driving. Originally it was the commuter car between Central Coast and Sydney till petrol became exhorbitant. SO did alot of km's but mostly expressway stuff. We now have a Mazda 3 to cover work duties and my wife drives the XR6.

I had a EA falcon previously that we traded on the XR6 and it had nearly 300 000k's and still went strong. On that, when things needed replacing, I replaced them with up market/performance mods.

Thanks for the advice guys, will prob do the same again, as in mod things when they need replacing. I have a wife that is of the opinion of why upgrade when it works!
Old 01-07-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bah, if you like it go for it.. Some people would wonder at my spending so much on a 30 year old car .. it's because I like it.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
98AUXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
bah, if you like it go for it.. Some people would wonder at my spending so much on a 30 year old car .. it's because I like it.
An XA Coupe is a classic. Whilst the AU XR6 is a well thought of car, I don't think it would ever make classic status. I congratulate you on every cent you spend on the XA!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You and I know it's a classic .. but the majority of the population will just see a crappy 30 year old car.
As for the AU attaining classic status ... I dunno but remember that even a well maintained early Falcon 500 is admired these days... as is a particularly nice example of an XF or EA. Classics ?? No.. Nice cars?? for sure.
If you are thinking of upgrading it soon ish ... don't.. if you want to keep it then I am all for it.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
98AUXR6

No, probably keep it long enough to turn the clock around and for it to be a 50 000km classic!
Old 01-07-2005, 05:37 PM   #11
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, the clock will turn at 999,999 ?? so add another 50K to that .. should be another 55 years
Old 01-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #12
98AUXR6

Sounds about right! I'll then upgrade to the 2060 XR 6 Volt Hi performance Battery Operated Falcon running on solar energy!!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
I agree entirely. If you like it keep it. Remember the longer you keep a car, the cheaper it is overall. Most money is lost in the "update". There are basically two types of "old cars". Beaters and classics. You decide which one you want ...

Rod
1969 AMC Javelin
1969 Dodge Phoenix 4-door hardtop
1970 Plymouth Fury III convertible
2001 Ford Falcon AUII ute
2003 Holden Commodore SV8
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

im modding my NC fairlane because i like it, people tell me im crazy because its "just a fairlane", but who cares really.
i know im not going to get back what im spending on it, but im having fun with it .....i could be wasting my money on other crap....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #15
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's only money and your's at that, if it make's you happy than do it, who know's when our time is up, enjoy it while you can.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #16
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
im modding my NC fairlane because i like it, people tell me im crazy because its "just a fairlane", but who cares really.
i know im not going to get back what im spending on it, but im having fun with it .....i could be wasting my money on other crap....

98AUXR6: lol yeah if you want to see people spending money on Non-Classic cars, check out the E-Series section! e

My EB's just ticked over 300,000km and I'm only just starting to mod it now (was 100% stock, down to the stereo!)

If I had more money, I would get another old car and throw money at it. Just think of it as an expensive hobby

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #17
98AUXR6

Thanks to everyone, everytime I think about doing something, I get the feeling I should wait till we update but as we have our hearts set on a Territory as our next purchase, a thumping sedan is far away so, will go ahead, but as I said, I can only justify it to the boss when something breaks, then again, she doesnt know alot about cars so I can talk her into a few things ahead of schedule!

Last edited by 98AUXR6; 01-07-2005 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #18
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Highway k's, well serviced...... keep driving it.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #19
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Yes, yes and yes, but only so long as it is in good condition. There is no point in throwing money into a POS that will never look good or run well.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #20
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
98AUXR6: lol yeah if you want to see people spending money on Non-Classic cars, check out the E-Series section! e

My EB's just ticked over 300,000km and I'm only just starting to mod it now (was 100% stock, down to the stereo!)

If I had more money, I would get another old car and throw money at it. Just think of it as an expensive hobby

-Dave-
HEY HEY HEY,MY XR6 WILL BE A CLASSIC ONE DAY.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU LUKE........
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 04:37 AM   #21
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

If it's running well, and in mint condition, I can't see why you can't get at least another 200,000 k's if not more.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #22
mutanti
Turbo

Ive still got the XF Ghia after 11 1/2 years, Why sell it if she purrs like a kitten and gives me no trouble.
Although I am still considering.
If i had not done any mods back then I might have sold long ago but she's unique in her own way to me.
thats why people do mods. - To make them stand out and be unique
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #23
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

I know the feeling commuting from Wollongong to Sydney put 200,000 ks on my AU2. Becuase its dedicted LPG it only cost about as much as a 4cyl to run though. IMO these kind of ks havn' really hurt the car. If you like the car, id keep it, mod it whatever most of the expense and problems with mine were over with a long time ago.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #24
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

It doesnt matter whether it will become a classic or not- I have a '78 fairmont and i am spending money on it because I love it!
As was just mentioned, whilst we see gorgeous old cars, most people see a crappy 30yr old car!

As for the milage- 200,000 on a hiway driven AU is nothing...check out the odometer on a taxi!!

Mind you, this is probably the worst place you could ask advise on spending money on old cars- a biassed bunch to say the least! :sm_headba

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #25
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Ive got a 67 model falcon that might have been around the clock up to 5 or 6 times but if you give her a good resto it can be as good as it came of the factory floor or if not better dont worry about Ks take a look at the whole picture

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post