Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #91
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Not sure for other states, but FIRST ad into the olympic opening broadcast was the FG ad. Thats a good start.
from memory it was the second maybe third here in vic holden together was the first

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #92
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
I saw the ad last night. Now I think Ford should really push that ad, show the public how Holden's new smooth 'Go Better' marketing campaign is just defending their dud Commodore which lacks in safety. Edit: Oh and many other areas too.

Not a bad thought. Holden say go better - Ford take the next step. "The competition says 'go better', well at ford we have with a 5 star safety rating, The all new Ford G-Series- Gone better!"

or something similar
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #93
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about time Ford ran with something ,i honestly expected them to remain silent for another 4 or 5 months,maybe they wont play catch up with Holden this time.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #94
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFella
Wow it got the maximum safety rating in side impact despite not having Airbag curtains - which proves that it would be impossible for Ford to do better even with side airbags
It is my understanding that The diff betw curtain Airbags, and the head/thorax that are standard is REAR occupant protection.

ANCAP does not (AFAIK) measure REAR occupant protection.

So Airbag Curtains would likely have little or no impact on the score
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #95
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Not a bad thought. Holden say go better - Ford take the next step. "The competition says 'go better', well at ford we have with a 5 star safety rating, The all new Ford G-Series- Gone better!"

or something similar
Love the idea of "Go Better, With Falcon, Mondeo, Focus 5 star safety, we've already gone better!"

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #96
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
from memory it was the second maybe third here in vic holden together was the first
Yep, plenty of prime time and mum time adverts for the 5 Star Falcon during the Olympics!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #97
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I had a family, the safety aspect would be a huge factor, also the passive safety, which ANCAP does not test.
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #98
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz

or something similar
Balls, something sadly not present at Ford's marketing department.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #99
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Are the ratings weighted at all?

I've got a Golf and it's a 5 star rated car (but not the reason I bought one) but I'd certainly prefer to take an impact in a BF (let alone an FG) as there are larger crumple zones and more intrusion space than I would the Golf.

If they're not, I think it's an oversight to put the Mazda2 on par with the FG in safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
My Daughter .....will in future make buying decisions on safety ratings.
No they're not weighted. That's the point I was making before. The Dog and Lemon Guide states the point quite well as a qualifier when it lists the car's NCAP rating: "You should also be aware that in actual road smashes the driver of a smaller (lighter) car is far more likely to die than the driver of the larger (heavier) vehicle it collides with. A Daewoo Matiz weighs about 725kg and a Range Rover weighs about 2500kg."

What worries me with all this ANCAP publicity is that there are many who would unthinkingly go and buy, say a 5 star Yaris and think they're invincible. So when hit by say a 2 star Jackeroo, maybe the Jackeroo driver mightn't be so good after the accident but the Yaris driver may be dead by comparison.

I'm not advocating buying the Jackeroo in this case but I'm saying that people need to consider a number of safety factors in the buying decision:

1. primary (active) safety - the car's ability to avoid the collision in the first place (the Wheels magazine WASP tests are the place to look for this since unfortunately we don't have any other independent testing of primary safety as they do in the US).

2. secondary (passive) safety - how the car protects you in a crash (NCAP/ANCAP testing).

3. mass - OK we don't all want or need a Ford Territory but it will protect you better than a Fiesta if hit by an SUV size vehicle (but not by a Mack truck obviously!)

So OLDFORDNUT I'd be telling your daughter to look at all these criteria and strike the best balance between the three. The good news is that if you can't afford one of the expensive safe Euro cars, Ford's the next best manufacturer when it comes to engineered in safety. Holden I would rate as indifferent (e.g. VP seatbelt saga) and Toyota I would rate as often criminally, certainly cynically negligent on primary safety, though paying service to secondary safety for the publicity value only. On balance I would certainly rate the new Falcon as striking a good balance on all three criteria (though happy with my Terri thanks! : )
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #100
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whoops I meant *active* safety in my previous post not *passive*.
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #101
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

Default ANCAP fg falcon crash test

i dont know if any one has posted this i found on you tube the fg falcon crash test if any one wants to see why is scored 5 stars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3DGo3eqlZY
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #102
aye you
The Origional, The Best

very impressive, even that side pole impact, hold's up quite well
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #103
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Excellent result, the cabin looks almost untouched.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post