Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
SA-AUII-MAX
true blue

Default Who knows?

I did start a thread before 'AUII – Auto trans problem???', thank you for the help and advise given, but my problem is that I'm almost done with the rebuild of the tranny, and I can't really say: "that was the problem".
Besides very fine shavings from 2 bearings, those have been replaced, and a few friction plates that were not so great anymore, there is nothing else I can see wrong. All frictions plates have been replaced so are all the o-rings, gaskets and seals. Checked clearances, all within spec. Oil-pump looks new, so what else could it be that I had no foreward drive before? The only thing that I have not checked is the valve-body. Besides the "evil" that might be inside there, does somebody has an idea why I had no foreward drive?
Before I removed and stripped the box, a test was done to all the solenoids, they were clean, no error codes.

SA-AUII-MAX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

When you say the solenoids were tested, what exactly did they do. Sounds like one has failed.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
SA-AUII-MAX
true blue

At the agent we put it on the diagnostics test unit and went true the whole program.(took about 60min.)No error codes, everything is clear and in working order. Did replace before the box problems a couple of electrical components to get rid off error codes, but these were all engine based.
Old 26-11-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Well being that i assume you checked out the sprag and that was along with all the clutch packs, i'd be saying that you have some sort of oil problem, be it to low, a blocked port in valve body, or maybe the pump in the trans itself is cactus.

Another cause could be the touque converter itself may be stuffed.

The valve bodies do have small nulon check valves in them, that with time and dirty oil, shrink and block oil galleries in the valve body, but I don't believe any of them can cause you to have no forward gears.

As for solonoids, none of them turn forward on or off, so i don't think thats your problem.

From memory they are as follows

solonoid 1 - gear selection
solonoid 2 - gear selection
S3 - switches between varied S5pressure and full line pressure to clutches
S4 - switches between varied S5pressure and full line pressure to bands
S5 - variably line pressure
S6 - light shift pressure
S7 - touque converter lockup

S1 & S2 - in combination change between 1st-4th, both on is 1st, both of is 3rd, but cant remeber which way around it is for 2nd and 4th.

You can run the trans by simply applying the gnd and 12volts to any of the solonoids etc S5, to run thru gears, may tell you something like if you have it apart checked them doing a full in out movement when pulsed.

Apart from that don't be scare'd of the valve body, its realitively simple compared to the rest of the box you've had apart.
Old 26-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
SA-AUII-MAX
true blue

My mate, thanks for the info. I was thinking about to simulate gear shifting but now you mention it as well it's something I have to do. I still had reverse, which seemed to work well, so if the converter went for a **** (you know), it should effect reverse gear too. Anyway, somehow in the old days, a lot of people seemed to be scared to take carburetors apart, meanwhile if you take it apart with sense it's not difficult at all. A valve body can't be that different. Last but not least, by the looks of it you dig guitars, go to www.musicmaker.co.za, that's my online magazine, it's for free, perhaps you like it.
Keep you posted, thanks.