Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #31
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriblz06
I know this may sound stupid, but would anyone be able to give some steps on how to go about painting the side strips. (eg what type of sand paper, primer) Im totally noob when it comes to painting stuff, never done it before. used:
Me too man, don't stress. I just wanted someone else to ask the question before I did :
I'm guessing start with a low grit sandpaper (coarse sand) and work to a higher one (finer sand).

then primer it, 2 coats, then paint 2-3 coats.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #32
819_FLY

I dunno wether going a couple coats of clear on top aswell would help, give something to stop fading and can apply wax, polish over it if you desire.... im not full into the painting thing either, but when I get a can in my hand im pretty deadly with doing coats.... :

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #33
skriblz06

I researched on some other car forums and read up on how people done some DIY painting on some of their cars. The painting procedures were for some DIY painting of his side skirts but he mentioned it was same process for his mouldings as well. Here is a quick overview of what I found (if someone knows if these are the right/wrong steps then feel free to correct):

1: Use wet 600 grit to sand it down
2: Give them a good rinse and get a cloth to dry it down
3: Use plastic primer
4: Spray, wait to dry, sand with 1200 grit sandpaper to remove running or uneven sprays, dust off any sanding done, spray and keep redoing until satisfied
5: The last step should be sanding as paint will go on sanded primer surface?
6: Apply the colour coded paint, do as many coats until you are satisfied
7: Apply clear coat

well I don't know if these are the right steps but sounds pretty much right. Might give it a try on Friday
skriblz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #34
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

if you want a smooth surface i would use a high fill can after plastic primer. this is easier to sand to a smooth finish than the plastic itself.

tip: use acetone to wash the parts being painted instead of water.

with step 4.....you shouldnt get running in the paint if you do light coats. trick is, is to not rush the painting process. i for one took a long time to resist temptation of rushing the process which more often than not ended in me spending hours sanding out runs and . more light coats are better than a heavy coat.

+ painting a smooth surface is alot harder and time consuming than painting a rough surface as there isnt as much texture in the area for the paint to grip, therefore making it easier for the paint to run.

also, avoid fondling the part being painted as oils in your skin can stay on the painted area which can make the paint not stick very well and might be subject to peel later in time.

as for clear coat, i usually put minimum of 6 coats on. this will be suficiant for polishing and cutting back in future. remember that aerosol can paint is NO WHERE AS GOOD as 2Pack coming out of a spray gun.

anthony
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post