Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
NJM586

Default Breaking noise !!!

Hey Guys/Girls

I recently put 17 inch wheels on my fiesta WQ (Audi A8 replicas) and lowered it 2 inches all round (Pedders sports ryders) in doing this i have noticed a massive increase in breaking noise i was wondering do all you guys out there that have put 17s on your fiesta have this problem?

It is quiet annoying and very loud !!!! i was thinking it is the actual tyres but it only makes the noise when im breaking

The best way to describe it is if the break pads are used up and rubbing on the discs the only thing is the car only has 18000 kms on it i bought it brand new 1 yr ago and i have had a look at the pads and they look fine do you have any suggestions to what it could be it is booked in for the guys at Macarthur ford to have a look at but we all no what dealers are like any suggestions would be great

thanks guys

NJM586 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
bru20vt

Only suggestion is that with weight transfer to the front under brakes is causing the wheel to rub (is the offset and width right on those Audi A8 replicas). Does it do it when you apply the brakes at very low speed.

dom
bru20vt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
NJM586

Yeah it does it at low speeds as well !!! i cant see it being the wheel rubbing as there is still a good 2 inches from the Tyre to the guard

Yeh all the offsets are correct got them professionally installed at a wheel tyre place im just wondering if they could be the tyres they are a brand i have never heard before but even with the 15s on the fiesta it still made the noise not as loud tho !!!!
Old 16-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
mcdougall
Starter Motor

i got 17"s on my fiesta, and the brakes are a bit louder for me when i first start reversing out of my driveway but once ive been driving for a while it isnt loud.I just put it down to getting them warmed up.
mcdougall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
NJM586

Thanks for the suggestions guys every bit of info helps

Yeh i do break heavy so maby it is the break pads i think i might change them just to be safe any suggestions on what good break pads to replace the old ones with ? As i am driving it up to QLD next week
Old 16-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Put the 15's back on for a test and have a listen.

maybe because you have opened them up to the outside air they are actual quite loud in the working application.

Cheers
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
NJM586

Good idea i didnt think of that

I will put the 15s back on this afternoon and let you no the out come !!!

cheers guys

Last edited by NJM586; 16-12-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 16-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
NJM586

Ok i put the 15s back on the front and took the car for a drive the noise stopped but what i did notice is on the 17s the wheel shop put a aluminum round cap in the center of the 17s what i think is happening is this cap is spinning as the wheel is turning and it is grinding against the disc!!!

So we made pivots in the aluminum and glued it into the rim with loc tight this will hold it in and will not grind anymore!!!!

once this was done i took it for another drive noise was back when breaking so i have come to the conclusion that it is either the tyres or what Twinpiston said the outside air causing the noise i have posted a picture of the rims tell me what you guys think ????

cheers
Old 18-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Als_Zetec
Rated G

NJM586

Did you take it to the dealer yet? Let us know the outcome...

As for replacement pads, I just put EBC Greenstuff on my Fiesta and I'm loving it. Cost is very comparable to OEM and performance is far better.

Ali
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
NJM586

Als_Zetec

It is booked in for this Saturday morning but im expecting them to say its the tyres as it never made this much noise with the 15s on but will get them to check it out anyways and let you guys no the outcome !!!

Im getting them to check as well when im driving at around 2100 rpm - 2300 rpm i get a whisle noise this may be the air induction im not to sure but i am very picky and as it is only 1 yr old i want to take advantage of the 3 yr warrenty it has on it so i will get them to check this out as well !!!

If you guys have a reason for this whisle noise please let me no so i dont make a fool out of myself at the dealership

James