Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
arnhemal
Starter Motor

Question Oil Price Affecting Service Costs

GDay,

I have a TDCi which just went in for its 15K service.

I was quoted, over the phone, 8 days previous, $220 for the service.

Service was done, wife picked up the car and the cost was $263.

I enquired at the dealership. Was told that the increase in price was due to the price of oil rising!!!

I turned around and left. There were other issues that arose from the service that i wanted to discuss but with that reply, and the attitude, free of course, why bother.

Is it just me or should i enquire further.

Needless to say, my car wont be going back there.

BUT, to balance, i do love the TDCi. It is a great car, pity about the service.

Alex

arnhemal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
819_FLY

oil isnt even expensive so the reply they gave you was utter crap. It is no where near 100 dollars a barrel like it was 12 months ago so that shouldn't even factor to the cost let alone 43 dollars extra.

My car is due for its 15k service in 1k and I know for certain I am not taking it to a Ford Dealer, Ill get mine done at an Ultratune or somewhere decent.

All I can say is get a written quote prior to getting a service done and strictly tell them to do only what is listed on the service, they do any "extra" and try and charge you more pay only what the quote says. They have a problem with that let them chase up the rest, because they should have honoured your request of what was needed to be done for the car and they disclosed what they would do. So you should be fine.

Once again Ford Service never ceases to amaze me.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

What sort of oil?

was it fully synthetic?

Oil suppliers do not increase the cost of oil that much in a short time, maybe they quoted on mineral oil and then used synthetic oil??????

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the LT TDCI is supposed to have fully synthetic oil but theford dealer used Delvac MX 15w 40 at $54.73 for 5.5 litres.The only other "real" consumable thing they provided was a primary filter for $30.86
Total cost if 15k service was $295 so you did better than me!
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
arnhemal
Starter Motor

yeah, its Delvac MX @ $62.40 with a filter at $28.60.

The big issue is the disparity between quoted and actual and then the "reason" afterwards.

I just hate the lack of transperancy and then the attitude/reason afterwards.

I shall attempt to get some sense from them via email, but i wont hold my breath. I just wont use them again and wont recommend them.

Alex

Last edited by arnhemal; 07-03-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: not so good spelling
Old 08-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Oil filter was $29? Surely that's a joke...
I know I don't have a turbo diesel, and don't know anything about the turbo diesel parts costs, but the petrol oil filter cost me $7.50 when I bought one from Ford spare parts about 6 months ago.
As has been said, don't go to Ford dealers. Go to UltraTune because they can service under warranty as well, and they're much, much nicer to deal with, because they fight for the sale, rather than expecting people just to come back to the dealer for the servicing.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with not using the dealer service is when Ford don't do recalls but send service alerts like they did on the BF model brake hoses. If you aren't using the dealer you do not get the free replacement hoses, in fact the first you know you need them is when they fail.... and of course any warranty claims become more of a challenge than they need to be if the blame can go to your non ford service agent.
I take the view its a limited form of insurnace while the factory warranty runs.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
20focus05
I wanna XR5

sorry marg but I hear so many issues with workmanship from dealers it could well be safer to chance it with the hoses.
I'm a mechanic and I dont trust my local dealer which is a shame.
They bullsh!ted to me to many times and broke to many things which I just ended up fixing myself.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Its more expensive because the dealers aren't making money selling cars anymore.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
BrisVegas
Noobie

is it worth going back to Ford for the last service on my car before the warranty runs out??

I've been happy with the price & service at Ultra Tune (Wacol, QLD) but am wondering if it's worth taking the car back to (Denmac) Ford for it's 75,000km service later this year. Ford has been close to twice the price on the services so far, so I keep sticking with Ultra Tune. Only issue I have is a squeak in my steering column which they'll probably pretend not to hear no doubt... :roll:
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I'd get an RACQ vehicle inspection, then go to the Ford Dealer for your final service and get them to fix any problems highlighted by RACQ under warranty
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
arnhemal
Starter Motor

Update

I am having a discussion with the dealer today.

I am looking forward to their replies and undoubted denial of everything, but we will see.

I shall post again tonight.

Alex
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
arnhemal
Starter Motor

Finally,

They admitted to everything, changed their policies and procedures, quoted me the wrong price $220 is for petrol, $293 for diesel and have credited me the 30k service.

We shall see if it was all talk or not.

Alex
Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Congratulations and were they nice about it?

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
arnhemal
Starter Motor

Ummm... actually yeah, they were pleasant about it. I steeled myself for a fight but they did the right thing.

Give em another go, i suppose.

Alex