Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #31
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
WA seems to be worse in terms of tolerance. Not sure if this is still valid.

Quote:
The speed camera tolerance in Western Australia is set ridiculously low. The Assistant Commissioner of Traffic believes that drivers should only be given 1 km/h tolerance which is the in built error factor in the Multanova speed camera.
http://www.policespeedcameras.info/foi.html
Not sure about the WA tolerance, but this info from the link you provided was certainly interesting:

"Technical data on the Multanova 6F - Ka band (Australia):
Traffic margins of error: 25 - 100 km/h: ± 3 km/h
100 - 250 km/h: ± 3% (under rounding up to next integral value)
..."

So if the accuracy of the measuring device is only +/- 3km/h, and they allow a "tolerance" of 3km/h - then essentially they give you no tolerance whatsoever, and it is possible to be booked whilst going exactly on the speed limit.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #32
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

i believe im one of the lucky few, the only points ive lost(or is it gained?) have been some i took for my dad. i use my cruise control and make sure it sits just under sixty. that way i watch the road, not my speedo, and nothing ever goes wrong. i realise not every car is equipped with this, but, thats not my point. like alot of people have said, dont speed, dont get done. if its so hard to "watch the speedo/the road wah wah" well, maybe we should ask the thousands of other drivers how they hone and refine this incredible skill of just driving and not getting caught.. i know i had this skill somehow, when i drove my dads 1997 ford mondeo, no cruise, for nearly 2 years, and didnt get pinged once. or the myriad of junk piles i owned for 2007. none had cruise, none where anything flash, yet i was still able to stay under the speed limit, and not get a speeding fine. somehow, and i may be wrong...but its almost as if people want to get caught. its pretty basic. check your speedo at a glance, when theres a break in the traffic, and you should be fine. dont check it when its obvious something is going to bank up, or some old lady's crossing up ahead. end rant!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #33
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
How many points can you aquire if you don't have a license?

They say they have a problem with people driving witout a license so they want to implement a system to take the license of more people.

The simple fact is that laws are supposed to be FOR the people not AGAINST the people and if too many people are getting fined then the LAWS is wrong and should be removed.

The problem Victoria has is that it is like a heroin addict, it has tasted the joys of money from speed cameras and now is addicted to it.
Like all addicts it will make any excuse and tell as many lies as it needs to ensure its addiction continues.
They care as much about safety as heroin addicts cares about all the people they rob, it is just a means to an end.

The funny thing is the stupid naive people who say things like "if you dont speed you won't get fined". This is like the do gooders who constantly rabbit on that drug addicts, paedofiles or murderers are really just nice ordinary people who had a bad childhood or rough time and deserve a second, third, forth, fifth etc chance.

But you victorians vote for the these idiots so you get what you deserve.......
Flappist, can you move to vic and i'll vote you in, im not exactly spoilt for choice at the moment and i have to throw it to someone.. :togo:
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #34
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These threads always turn out the same don't they?

I've been caught several times, I always knew when I was speeding or not. Its not hard really.

It's always the boys who think they are sick drifters on the street, that can't manage to keep their speed under 60 without staring at the speedo? :
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #35
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
These threads always turn out the same don't they?

I've been caught several times, I always knew when I was speeding or not. Its not hard really.

It's always the boys who think they are sick drifters on the street, that can't manage to keep their speed under 60 without staring at the speedo? :
I think whether or not someone can stick to the speed limit without speedo-watching is not really the point of the thread...

It's simple really - going by the report, Vic seems to have a huge problem with large number of drivers that have either lost, or very close to losing, their licence.

Are Victorians bigger hoons than the rest of the country, or is it another factor, such as the tight camera tolerances, and underhanded way in which they sometimes deploy the mobile cameras?

Surely the government should have seen this coming? The magical windfall of revenue from fines didn't just come out of thin air.

flappist - I couldn't agree more - except for the voting part. :
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #36
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Yep, drive around all day not watching the road, just your speedo, run over deaf old ladies crossing in front of me while i am doing 57kph. Not my fault.

When you do 700km every week, you have to drive for a living in a well maintained car, then to be penalised while driving safely but accidentally creep 4 kph over the limit is ridiculous.

Comments like this belong on the pedestrian and i hate all cars forums, im sure it exists.

Policing should be about safety.:sm_drool:
Yeah and it's comments like yours that make forum membership frustrating and at times a pointless exercise as no sooner does someone mention police, traffic laws and enforcement people's brains explode and strings deteriorate into name calling and rhetoric.

I drive everyday too, about the same amount of 'km's. maybe more and usually all day. Have for the past 23 years since I got my licence and I can glance at the speedo quite regularly and still not run over old ladies, puppy dogs and other small fury animals, BUT I can do this and know pretty much how fast I am going AND I don't even have cruise control. It's called throttle control and car craft. If this is a concept that has you baffled then you might as well not drive anymore as YOU are the one not in control of your vehicle at any given time.

Policing is about safety and if you can not control your car by not driving it over the posted speed limit, then....are you not in control of it? and therefore out of control? and therefore not safe? The privilege of being able to have a license means that you also have a responsibility to obey the traffic laws, if you can't do that then you lose the privilege of holding a drivers license. Simple.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not so naive as to not believe that a 3kph tolerance is an excessive tolerance rule, I live in NSW so I don't have to put up with this so I do empathize with you. This is probably the reason why so many Victorians are about to lose their licenses.

Lobby the Government to force police to raise tolerances on speed detection equipment. You pay taxes for politicians to do things like this on your behalf...might as well take advantage of it.

Put the petition on here, I'll sign it.

:

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #37
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Yeah and it's comments like yours that make forum membership frustrating and at times a pointless exercise as no sooner does someone mention police, traffic laws and enforcement people's brains explode and strings deteriorate into name calling and rhetoric.

I drive everyday too, about the same amount of 'km's. maybe more and usually all day. Have for the past 23 years since I got my licence and I can glance at the speedo quite regularly and still not run over old ladies, puppy dogs and other small fury animals, BUT I can do this and know pretty much how fast I am going AND I don't even have cruise control. It's called throttle control and car craft. If this is a concept that has you baffled then you might as well not drive anymore as YOU are the one not in control of your vehicle at any given time.

Policing is about safety and if you can not control your car by not driving it over the posted speed limit, then....are you not in control of it? and therefore out of control? and therefore not safe? The privilege of being able to have a license means that you also have a responsibility to obey the traffic laws, if you can't do that then you lose the privilege of holding a drivers license. Simple.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not so naive as to not believe that a 3kph tolerance is an excessive tolerance rule, I live in NSW so I don't have to put up with this so I do empathize with you. This is probably the reason why so many Victorians are about to lose their licenses.

Lobby the Government to force police to raise tolerances on speed detection equipment. You pay taxes for politicians to do things like this on your behalf...might as well take advantage of it.

Put the petition on here, I'll sign it.

:
I love the way all of the clean skins (maybe they are closet fine payers!!) are assuming i have been caught speeding!!!!!!!!!! I haven't, You are all proving the point that you have the same mentality of politician. Im just saying the implementation of the law is ridiculous. A marked police car patroling using his discretion is much better than a camera behing a tree. Fine the guy drifting at 64 on a bend. Perhaps caution the guy doing 64 on a divided road marked at 60, But no, thats where you find most speed cameras.

Get some balls people, rather than hiding behind a poncy knee jerk statement.

I'm off to have coffee with Harold Scruby, just trying to find my cardigan. :

Last edited by tweeked; 13-03-2009 at 10:03 AM.
tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #38
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh these threads crack me up.

gotta agree with what flapp's post.
If only we could all unify and lobby the gov't for discretion and tolerance towards the driving community but yeh - dont think that will happen.. there are too many bad/dumb apples ruining it for the majority
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #39
tweeked
N/A all the way

Oh, that was decaf coffee too.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #40
colossus
Secret Sleuth

A lot of sheep nowadays - I can't believe you guys just accept this crap and say "well you won't get caught if you don't speed."

Of course this country needs laws and regulations but its just getting out of hand - all the do gooders out there need to get a life and accept that accidents happen. Increasing the police force with marked and unmarked highway patrol cars is what is needed to reduce the road toll (which is at an all time low - no not because of cameras but because of advances in engineering). Policemen have a thing called "discretion" - they can use it, a machine cannot.

"Road Safety Cameras" are a revenue raiser pure and simple - they do not exist for any other purpose.

We are fast becoming like the UK - survailence cameras everywhere, all weapons banned, everyone dobs on everyone, its a police state over there. We need to remember our freedoms and not give them up so easy. I've just been to the US and they don't tolerate this crap over there.
Old 13-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
A lot of sheep nowadays - I can't believe you guys just accept this crap and say "well you won't get caught if you don't speed."
There was a post by Flappist where he said that the public are conditioned into thinking a certain way (take a generation) and people's reaction shows that this is the case.
Old 13-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
There was a post by Flappist where he said that the public are conditioned into thinking a certain way (take a generation) and people's reaction shows that this is the case.
Anarchy is a form of conditioning too....

Old 13-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #43
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
should we follow the lead of the disgruntled postal worker? or the kid that gets bullied by the "in crowd" at school
what people should be doing instead of complaining is to give some hours of your life back and become a member of parliament. instead we all leave it to someone else and then complain when they see things differently to us
i have done nothing pro active to change our rules and regulations, so instead of complaining, i choose to live within them
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #44
3vXT

double demerit points + cameras with not enough tolerance =

3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #45
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
I love the way all of the clean skins (maybe they are closet fine payers!!) are assuming i have been caught speeding!!!!!!!!!! I haven't, You are all proving the point that you have the same mentality of politician. Im just saying the implementation of the law is ridiculous. A marked police car patroling using his discretion is much better than a camera behing a tree. Fine the guy drifting at 64 on a bend. Perhaps caution the guy doing 64 on a divided road marked at 60, But no, thats where you find most speed cameras.

Get some balls people, rather than hiding behind a poncy knee jerk statement.

I'm off to have coffee with Harold Scruby, just trying to find my cardigan. :
No, not a clean skin. I have lost my license twice due to fine default. All were for speeding and all were correct and uncontested. I was speeding, I knew exactly what speed I was doing, all of them were also in speed zones over 80 kph and none were more than 30.

I guess my poncy knee jerk point is that most people are incapable of doing what is expected of them and blame everyone and everything else except themselves because we are too embarrassed to admit we were wrong.

I'm a hypocrite, same as everyone else on this forum...but I can drive under the speed limit and still get to where I am going without my head exploding.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #46
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

I wonder if the police actually do put double point on, all they have said is talk atm, it doesn't matter for me because i never drive on public holidays @ all, there no point
Old 15-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #47
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cars and roads are getting better but the speed limits and tolerances are getting lower. After the open speed limit in NT was cut to 130km/h there was a 20% increase in road crashes and a substantial increase in revenue. NSW is looking into removing the double demerit point scheme as they have probarbly realised that more revenue can be raised on a licence of 12 points.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #48
FGXR270
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Do you realise how unbelievably unsafe that is?
And you have never done nothing stupid in your own vehicle?
I very much doubt that.
FGXR270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post