Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Kawasakirider

Default EA damaged, bad night :(

Had a bad night last night.... got a call from a friend... She said she wanted me to drive to pick her up, then drive to her cousins house and drop her back into town for a get together and that she'd pay me. I'm thinking sweet even if it's only $20 I need the money bad.

My gf wanted to come so we jump in the car and take off. I live half an hour out of town and her cousin does, also, so I'm driving to town, back to her cousins, back to town and then home. Round 200 k's.

We pick my friend up and then go to get her cousin and we get near her town and the temp starts going up and we are in the middle of NOWHERE. So I think .... I pull over and pull into this old farmhouse off to the side of the road. It has a big ditch going into the driveway that I should have seen but out of frustration didnt and it cracked my front bar really badly.

So I fill it up with water and manage to nurse it to my friends cousins house and we take off back into town. I keep nursing it and the temp is about half way, then we get near town and it starts surging and and the temp skyrockets so I pull into the 24/7 servo over the hill.

Water starts ****ing from the passanger side of the engine and I'm like, sweet, either a welsh plug or a heater hose....

We are all stranded there for hours and we eventually get the girls to where they are going because my grandfather came and picked us up. It was way to dark at that stage to see what was going on so I came back the next morning (today)....

One of the heater hoses had blown (in the worst position mind you lol, had to take the air filter assembly off the CFI to get to the hose clamp at one end) so I go into town and get a replacement and I replace that. Then I pull the front bar off and put it into my grandfathers car. I fill it up with water but in my haste I didn't know you had to pull off the hose at the thermostat and let it bleed out like that, I thought it was like my ute where I just kept it running and filling it up until there were no bubbles and it got an airlock pocket in it. So I go to drive home and it's running perfectly, nearly get there and my LPG starts acting up because the converter wasn't getting any hot water and it froze. Switch to fuel and limp the last km back to the local mechanic near my house. He reckons my head gasket could be done...

To top it all off, I have had a crack at repairing my front bar and it looks like a dog's ***. I couldn't get the blade putty to work too well and there's dents and in it everywhere. Sprayed it white with a can and I am very dissapointed in it. I'll have to fix it later on when I have some time/patience.... (I did fix the cracks with fiber glass btw)

So NOW my car is screwed and I have no cash. All because I tried to help someone for just a bit of extra fuel money to get to school.

The girls were very appologetic and nice about it, though. I felt pretty bad for them being stranded there for ages.

Ahh the joys of motoring _ _

Kawasakirider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bu gg er. tell the girls not to worry 'cause it was going to happen anyway, just a matter of time, not their fault, not your fault, nobodys fault, as you say, thats motoring..
There's never a good time to break down or get a flat or run out of petrol.
Good luck getting it squared away and back on the road.
Old 17-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Kawasakirider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Bu gg er. tell the girls not to worry 'cause it was going to happen anyway, just a matter of time, not their fault, not your fault, nobodys fault, as you say, thats motoring..
There's never a good time to break down or get a flat or run out of petrol.
Good luck getting it squared away and back on the road.
Yeah, I told them it wasn't there fault and it was gunna happen anyway. I am just ****ed that a $10 heater hose can cause so much trouble. Especially when it was a new hose and now my front bar looks horrid. I'll get some pics of it installed on the car once I get the car back. IDK how long that will be.....

If the headgasket is gone and it costs a few hundred to fix would it be more economical to drop a 4 liter from an EF/L and keep the CFI? My mechanic said that there are substantial power gains from just swapping engines and keeping the CFI and EF/L motors can be had for $350. Ofcourse I'd still convert to multipoint later on. Just to get me on the road again....

EDIT

Oh and thanks for the well wishes.
Old 17-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel for you, sort of the same thing happened to me and when you have no money and its on its last legs its a real bad feeling. Going rate for head gaskets is anywhere from $800 and up depending how bad the head is if you get a mechanic to do it so an ef 4.0l looks the far better option especially if you can do it yourself. RE: The front bar, Ive done this too with a very deceiving driveway, if youve only cracked the bottom bar and the mounting tags on the front 1/4 panels which i assume you have, get some angle steel and pop rivet it behind the bottom bar so the crack stays away and fiberglass the tabs back on as you know. Also, take out the middle bar, looks heaps better. Mine:
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Mate, I am sorry to hear about your car, that must suck.
As an aside, getting paid $20 for 200k sucks just as much. Just keep in mind that the travelling rates in a private car for reimbursement purposes are around $0.60- $0.80 per kilometer - there is a reason for that.

Yes, newer is better best option is AU via a kit (like the ones by Aussie Car Recyclers) but EF, EL or AU will all be better

Hope you get the car back on track soon.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
As an aside, getting paid $20 for 200k sucks just as much. Just keep in mind that the travelling rates in a private car for reimbursement purposes are around $0.60- $0.80 per kilometer - there is a reason for that.
You are kidding right? Glad you aren't my mate.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stranded with the company of 2 women? Mate I could think of a lot worse!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Stranded with the company of 2 women? Mate I could think of a lot worse!
yeah I guess three would be worse....one woman is bad enough, luckily god created alcohol, so men can dull his senses enough to put up with women
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Sorry to hear that mate.
As they say bad luck happens never happens in the moment of your choosing.

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Fix up all the heater hoses/leaks and just use your car. If it uses water without leaking you will know if the head gasket is gone.
Old 18-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O boy I feel for you mate, the amount of times I have heard a hard luck story starting with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirider
Had a bad night last night.... got a call from a friend... She said

I feel for you buddy.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

What a run of bad luck!

Hope you get it all sorted out buddy.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
escapin

dont matter how they do it but chicks always cost money lol
temporary fix, save cash, new engine, fixed
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
Kawasakirider

The front of the bar from the bottom up cracked and put stress cracks through it all. I'll get pics up later. It's still shocking but it will look OK I suppose. I can't imagine the paint I've used will stand up to any abuse at all. It's just acrylic stuff from a can and I ran out of white so I did the middle bar silver out of a crappy can of spray paint. I know it won't last but until I get the cash to get some auto paint and spray it with my compressor I'll just have to keep touching it up.

The car is spewing smoke from it and has no power whatsoever. She is definitely a goner.

Mechanic quoted $1148 and with a 10% discount he said $1027 or so. Can someone link me to the aussie car recyclers? My dad is headstrong on getting this one fixed as it only had 115,000 on it and he won't trust one from the wreckers, but if I could get a more powerful engine for the same price that I knew was trustworthy I'd like that. The main thing is getting it on the road again, but I'd still like to look into the aussie car recyclers.
Old 20-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
fpvluver
just another day

i had a head problem just used some bars leaks and it woked a treat just cant thrash it mate just use that and baby it tikk you can afford to fix it properly

sorry to hear mate
fpvluver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post