Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New MAF and CAI?

I've just bought a T3 intake, just waiting for the seller to confirm the payment....

Anyway, with the bigger MAF and pipe, is there any chance of it stuffing around with my car? Im unable to custom tune my car, as i live in the outback basically... Well not really, but its to far from any dyno....

Do i need to tune the car to adapt to the new MAF and 4 inch intake pipe?

Thanks

redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
dreadly
Banned

Definatly will need a tune... you'd probably be running very lean, Occasional stall and major flat spots. Depends are T3 80mm maf? T3 intakes arnt 100mm either? think there 3 maybe 3.5". Unless your planning some semi/major engine work of sorts. Your standard au xr8 maf would flow enough. Having more air- (guessing you saw the pics in the other thread and though YES lol) is useless- unless you can move that air too, remember.
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh well have a stroker and supercharged future for this car

Supercharged within 4 mnths hopefully

Ill just run the intake with the new maf and see how it goes... If its rubbish ill change back and sell it...

Oh and my AU XR8 is faster than my mates stock BA turbs so its got somthin done to it....
Old 22-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard AU XR8s run very rich, wouldn't the maf lean it out?
Old 22-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
dreadly
Banned

I suggest you Research your own vehicle so you know whats done to it first.
I doubt it has anything mate. Spend 2 weeks looking through back threads etc, figure out a plan. Then ask questions- hence if you've already brought it, ask once it's fitted? whats the point now... we cant really help hey.
Old 23-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

As long as the MAF (actually, the sample tube) is compatible with your injectors, it may run rich, but it will be fine. Easy way to tell is if the injectors you are running are the same as the T3s, then you should be good to go. A tune will helk you lean it out a bit for better economy/power balance, but it should still run OK as is.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly
I doubt it has anything mate. Spend 2 weeks looking through back threads etc, figure out a plan. Then ask questions- hence if you've already brought it, ask once it's fitted? whats the point now... we cant really help hey.
He's not asking for advice on whether he should buy something or not; he's asking for advice on what he needs to get the thing he has just bought working. The answer to the question "How do I get this working" is NOT "Don't buy it" or "You should've asked before you bought it, but because you've bought it, we're not telling".

People come here for advice and help before, during and after a purchase, or fitting, or mod, etc; they are not interested in stupid comments.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Cam
Stroking it...

Will be interested to see how you go, I bolted on a 90mm SCT MAF and 4" piping and the car would start, and just idle, as soon as i touched the throttle it'd die. So def a retune for me, but then again its not a for OEM MAF
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

When I hooked my 90mm MAF up with the 4" intake mine started, ran, drove but wouldn't idle. It also ran a bit lean (great fuel economy though) so it's a tune you'll need.

Mine is "slightly" modified though.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
dreadly
Banned

JC what the hell are you on about??
I wasnt saying dont buy it. Or were not telling??
But surely you do some research before you buy something?
And was meaning well if it's not fitted and therefore no problem yet, how are we to know? if a, it's going to work, or b, if it needs a tune.
Answers then a, in theory yes it will work, b, wait till it's installed and you'll find out.
Just remember to swap the sensors over

Last edited by dreadly; 23-05-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 23-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
As long as the MAF (actually, the sample tube) is compatible with your injectors, it may run rich, but it will be fine. Easy way to tell is if the injectors you are running are the same as the T3s, then you should be good to go. A tune will helk you lean it out a bit for better economy/power balance, but it should still run OK as is.
Bingo, you will find the T3 maf will be only a tiny bit bigger than the stock one so i doubt you will see much difference.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Bingo, you will find the T3 maf will be only a tiny bit bigger than the stock one so i doubt you will see much difference.
What i mean is that it shouldnt harm your engine as its not a whole lot bigger.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly

During my Inspection, they found that it had an aftermarket cam, springs etc, So that was a good surpise... Its hard for me to track the history as i bought it off Range Ford who didn't even know if my car was a series 2 or 3, they priced it as a series 2 buts its a 3 ;) Lucky me! I actually just wanted the pod setup not the MAF but it was included in the price so i just thought wat the hell.... I might be selling it to someone who needs it more than me anyway.....