Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Ford unveils programs to woo GM, Chrysler buyers

A good read. Ford are capatilising well on GM and Chrysler's situation. Consumers confidence is certainly on the Blue Oval's side with record GM/Chrysler owners trading in for the Ford product.

link

Friday, May 22, 2009

Ford unveils programs to woo GM, Chrysler buyers

Financial problems of rivals gives Ford opportunity to lure new customers
Bryce G. Hoffman and Alisa Priddle / The Detroit News

As Chrysler LLC and General Motors Corp. move to dismantle brands and close dealerships, other automakers are moving in to pick up the pieces.

Analysts said it will take a couple more months to fully gauge consumer reaction to these moves, but Haig Stoddard of IHS Global Insight said one thing is already clear: "Ford is likely to be the big volume winner."

While Chrysler touts the benefits of "quick-rinse" bankruptcy -- something GM is expected to soon enter into as well -- Ford Motor Co. is in the middle of one of its most aggressive new product roll-outs in years. And as the other automakers take tax dollars, Ford's decision to mortgage its U.S. assets before the credit markets collapsed has allowed it to eschew federal aid, at least for now.

Now, the Dearborn automaker is unveiling pilot programs to give Chrysler customers more money to help pay off their loans so they can buy Ford models. If the strategy works, Ford may soon be doing the same thing for GM owners.

"We're going to be aggressive," said Ken Czubay, head of U.S. sales and marketing for Ford. "But we're not going to be predatory."

Ford dealers across the country are seeing more and more Chrysler and GM trade-ins, he said.

"There are a lot of people out there that don't like the concept that government is running these companies," Czubay said. "They're also disillusioned by the resale value of their products."

That is becoming a real problem for Chrysler owners, said IHS Global Insight's George Magliano.

"Their prices are dropping 40 to 50 percent from what the residuals should be," he said.

As a result, Ford dealers are finding that many Chrysler owners owe more on their vehicles than they are worth. That makes it difficult for them to afford a new car or truck, so Ford is making additional money available to dealers to help them bridge that gap.

Czubay would not give specifics, saying only that the amount varied by model and was less than $1,000.

Ford also is providing additional training to sales and service staff at its dealerships to help them "transition" Chrysler and GM customers to Ford products.

Long-term view 'critical'

Michael Robinet of CSM Worldwide said Ford needs to be careful not to get greedy, particularly as Chrysler and GM increase the incentives on their vehicles to offset the negative publicity generated by their financial woes.

"Ford incentive action has gone down, and we applaud that," he said, adding that it is critical that Ford maintain that disciplined approach. "The long-term view is still critical here. A fire sale doesn't make a lot of sense."

Though its sales remain down with the rest of the industry, Ford has gained retail market share in six of the last seven months, and seems poised to do it again in May. Ford is also boosting production as its cross-town rivals idle their factories to reduce excess inventories.

Magliano predicted that Ford's factory output could actually begin exceeding last year's levels by August.

Jesse Toprak of Edmunds.com has been tracking Ford's conquests -- customers who previously owned other brands -- and says sales data shows that, since the beginning of the year, more GM and Chrysler customers are switching to Ford. That has accelerated in recent weeks, with the percentage of customers who trade their GM or Chrysler vehicle in for a Ford product increasing by 5 percent to 10 percent, depending on the brand.

"That is actually a big shift, because those patterns rarely change by more than a percent or two," Toprak said, noting that his numbers are only beginning to reflect the impact of Chrysler's bankruptcy filing. "They're likely going to continue to gain even more momentum and steal more customers from Chrysler and GM in the coming weeks."

Toprak said he believes Ford can sustain these gains, too, because it is investing more money in new products than GM or Chrysler.

"They're making minimal investment in new products because they're worried about their survival," he said. "That gives Ford an additional advantage going forward."

Asian carmakers benefit

Toprak said Korean automakers are also picking up some sales from GM and Chrysler, but he said most of those customers prefer to stick with an American brand. Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. have picked up some new customers, too.

With every automaker struggling to make it through one of the biggest downturns in the industry's history, Magliano said no one can afford to pass on the opportunity to increase sales at the expense of the competition.

"Incentives are at record levels," he said. "The Asians are aggressive. Toyota is pushing leases to try to take advantage of the weakness in Detroit."

There have been internal debates at Ford about just how aggressive it should be.

On one extreme, some marketeers have advocated a no-holds-barred approach, including direct mailings to every GM and Chrysler owner in the United States noting the uncertain future those companies face and offering cash incentives to buy a Ford. Others are anxious to avoid the appearance of gloating at their rivals' troubles.

Czubay said Ford has decided to focus on its new cars and trucks.

"We're going to aggressively market the new products," he said. "We still have some very capable Asian and European competitors."

Old 26-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I'm still wondering how long it'll be until Ford or Toyota attempt the same thing here in Australia.

If you were looking at picking up market share in the current conditions I know who's customer's I'd be going after!
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not convinced that Holden will suffer to the full extent
When you have people like Rudd at the top who look at the Holden badge and immediately soak their pants while the word, 'Australian' comes to their mind, they will ensure that they stick around.

Now Ford on the other hand, I am not convinced.
Sure, Ford has only been manufacturing cars here since 1925, but that isn't important.

As a result, I don't think Ford are going to capitalise on the theoretical Holden carcass.

Don't snap my undies.

Last edited by uranium_death; 26-05-2009 at 11:25 AM.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Ford dealers across the country are seeing more and more Chrysler and GM trade-ins, he said.
This isnt necessarily a good thing - what are the dealers going to do with a whole bunch of cars that nobody wants??

Also, I don't think Holden will find themselves in the same situation, but it will be lean pickings for a while for them.

It will be interesting to see if the increase in market share for Ford + easing of the GFC + returning to profit puts GRWD back on the table for consideration.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I am not convinced that Holden will suffer to the full extent
When you have people like Rudd at the top who look at the Holden badge and immediately soak their pants while the word, 'Australian' comes to their mind, they will ensure that they stick around.
I agree that Holden wont fold, but at the same time it's an opportunity to create doubt in the mind of the consumer. Sales will be effected if people start thinking that GMH might not be around in 6-12 months time.

Why let the facts get in the way of a good story, GMH are masters at it.
Old 26-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed on many points.

But I don't think Holden is in much danger.
The government will make sure they survive to the best of their mundane ability.
Ford could use it, yes. But I doubt they will.

I really wish Ford pushed the "Australian" tag a little more though.

Holden release the VE Commodore, calling it the "billion dollar baby" with the media all frothing at the mouth over it, while the (in many regards) superior FG gets two minutes on the news, with the presenters clearly not giving a crap, having been fed a lot of media rot over time.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Agreed on many points.

But I don't think Holden is in much danger.
The government will make sure they survive to the best of their mundane ability.
Ford could use it, yes. But I doubt they will.

I really wish Ford pushed the "Australian" tag a little more though.

Holden release the VE Commodore, calling it the "billion dollar baby" with the media all frothing at the mouth over it, while the (in many regards) superior FG gets two minutes on the news, with the presenters clearly not giving a crap, having been fed a lot of media rot over time.

The coyote article did make the mention that Holden and HSV could fail.

Also if you see the XR6 35,888 drive away ad, it does say that the car is an Australian designed and built car.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The coyote article did make the mention that Holden and HSV could fail.

Also if you see the XR6 35,888 drive away ad, it does say that the car is an Australian designed and built car.
I think "uranium_death" is talking about something more overt, like the "Holden Owners Grant" or "Holden Means A Great Deal to Australia" Ad's previously run by GMH.

I agree totally, Ford need to stick it's Australian history in the publics face, and let them know where they're going in the Future (as opposed to GMH).
Old 26-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I think "uranium_death" is talking about something more overt, like the "Holden Owners Grant" or "Holden Means A Great Deal to Australia" Ad's previously run by GMH.

I agree totally, Ford need to stick it's Australian history in the publics face, and let them know where they're going in the Future (as opposed to GMH).

Its a start at least. Problem is the Ford brand is a US engrained brand as opposed to Holden with is an Australian engrained brand.

Hopefully next year with the Falcon Anniversary coming up they can push the Australian image.