Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default sound proofing

There is a thread suggesting sound proofing with a product such as Dynamat is needed to get quality sound from an upgarded audio system. Has any one used this sort of product in a hatch and do you need to cover all the interior surface of the Panels or just "most" ( say 3/4) of the area to stop panel resonance.

I wanted to use it to reduce road noise in an LT model hatchback.
Research suggests the hatch and wheel arch areas are most vital and probably front doors. Any views?

marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

If you're intending on installing it yourself, I'd start with the boot area. For sedan drivers, the front and rear doors would be the best place to start.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
ebayholic

i'll be doing something similar pretty soon
Apparently: Sound Deadener Proof Dampener on ebay is easier to install.
ebayholic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
~Spyne~

i've used it extensively in my previous vr commo, and now my 07 tdci. dynamat 'extreme' and stinger 'roadkill' are the two best products to use as they are easy to apply, do not peel off after time/exposure to heat (or cold), and do a damn good job of reducing panel resonance.
other good products include raammat and soundoff.

the best places to start are in the front doors, directly behind the speakers. then if u want to spend more money you can completely line the inner and outer skins of the front doors. the hatch door/lid can also be done if you have a subwoofer.

in terms of reducing road noise, you are better off using other products such as dynaliner (another dynamat product), carpet underlay, rubber compound underlay or other similar sound absorbing/blocking products. (dynamat extreme and stinger roadkill are mass-loading products which reduce the resonant frequency of a panel)