Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Stupid council rules

Ok, now I try and minimise the impact I have on others. I try and have some empathy.

We have a fantastic boat ramp near our place that is used by LOTS of people, especially in peak season. Sometimes cars (especially those with trailers) are parked up to 2km away up big hills. Usually we give fellow boaties a lift up the hill when we can at the end of the day, but I digress.

My trailer yacht takes a bit of set up so I get down there very early, set up, launch and then call my wife who will then drive down with any crew or guests we are taking. They will meet and park at our place about 10 mins away and come down in one car instead of taking spots at the ramp.

Now with the boat off the trailer, my tow car and trailer take up much less room. In some 'car with trailer' spots I can easily fit the Mini wholly within the same spot as the 'lane with the empty trailer. So instead of parking the Mini in another car only spot (also very limited) I asked the Sutherland Council if I parked a car with trailer attached AND the Mini wholly in the same spot - purely to help parking issues - would that be ok?

The response was while we appreciate what you are trying to do, all cars in a 'car with trailer only' spot must have a trailer attached. Notwithstanding there already IS a trailer attached to one of the cars (and a decent sized one at that), they said the Mini would be fined. I even offered to run a chain from the back of the Mini to the Fairlane so it was 'attached' - to no avail.

Now this is all fine with me, I will just take another spot that I don't really have to just so we don't get fined. For certain the Mini would be fined though - it is Sutho Council after all.

As a boat owner I wholly agree with them cracking down on cars only parking in cars with trailer spots, but when there is definately a car with trailer in the spot surely common sense should prevail?

My name is down on the waiting list for a mooring (so I can keep the boat in the water and not bother with the ramp) but they are even scarcer than boat with trailer spots at the ramp after 11am on a sunny Sunday! Will still have to drive down to the ramp in at least one car with the dinghy anyway.

Maybe I just shouldn't worry about others?

Last edited by Pinch; 24-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
SeduceXR
Seduce FG XR8

Sound like Greys Point boat ramp to me, am I close?
SeduceXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grays Point - Too easy! Not that many great ramps in the Shire!
Old 24-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

The rules and restrictions and costs with owning a boat these days are beyond a joke imo, I gave the boats up years ago when they introduced licencing for them. Good on you govenment / stuff up another 'once was' enjoyable hobby for everyone!.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Hitman
Way over here

Pity you cant put the mini 'on' the trailer, that'd stuff'em
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Pity you cant put the mini 'on' the trailer, that'd stuff'em
My little bro is a boilermaker.... could be a goer!
Old 24-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
The rules and restrictions and costs with owning a boat these days are beyond a joke imo, I gave the boats up years ago when they introduced licencing for them. Good on you govenment / stuff up another 'once was' enjoyable hobby for everyone!.
Even worse was I just lost my dry storage for it when my brother in law moved out of his house. It has now ended up in commercial storage at $240 per month! A mooring is only $177 a year (when you can get one). The trailer alone is pretty easy to stash in a mates yard, not so with a 7m long 3m high boat on it though.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
SeduceXR
Seduce FG XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Grays Point - Too easy! Not that many great ramps in the Shire!
If I'm feeling lucky I sometimes try gunnamatta bay, but that ramp is truly horrible and if there's no parking your pretty much stuffed, not many places to park around there. But the popularity of grays point alone shows how many good ramps there are to choose from
SeduceXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeduceXR
If I'm feeling lucky I sometimes try gunnamatta bay, but that ramp is truly horrible and if there's no parking your pretty much stuffed, not many places to park around there. But the popularity of grays point alone shows how many good ramps there are to choose from

When we are going proper sailing we usually put it in at 'Hole in the Wall' off Hawkesbury Esp at Sylvania Waters so we can get out on to Botany Bay. But if we a re just going for a motor, or swimming/picnic its Grays Point.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

i understand your view, but the problem is that you might be wanting to do this for the right reasons, but some smarty will then do it because you've done it and then can use you as his excuse. So basically council says ''thats the rules, stick to it''

Talking of council rules, we are in the process of building a new home, and i said to council that i wanted to put a 6000Ltr underground water storage tank under the front lawn, but to do so i had to build a small retaining wall at the front and fill behind to raise the surface level to cover the tank. Council said '' no retaining walls, no unnessesary fill, you cant do it'', so ive had to put a 3000 ltr above ground tank. I thought water storage & re-use would be a priority?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
i understand your view, but the problem is that you might be wanting to do this for the right reasons, but some smarty will then do it because you've done it and then can use you as his excuse. So basically council says ''thats the rules, stick to it''

Talking of council rules, we are in the process of building a new home, and i said to council that i wanted to put a 6000Ltr underground water storage tank under the front lawn, but to do so i had to build a small retaining wall at the front and fill behind to raise the surface level to cover the tank. Council said '' no retaining walls, no unnessesary fill, you cant do it'', so ive had to put a 3000 ltr above ground tank. I thought water storage & re-use would be a priority?
Screw the council in that circumstance imo, if it's under the ground they wouldn't of known it was there anyway!. It's your land - in the end realy you have a legal right to do what you do with your land ( to an extent ), councils don't allways win !.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post