Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Wally
XP Coupe

Default Show me the Money

I'm having a bit of trouble with the maths and wisdom of the funding being given to the auto industry.

Take the ecoboost investments for instance:- the total spend is supposedly $230m, of that $42 million is from its Green Car Innovation Fund. That program is a 1 for 3 grant, which means the Feds will kick in 25% of the expenditure. It suggests to me that the true spend is $168m and therefore Ford's investment is $126m, or is there a $62m ineligibilty?

The other quandry I have is if the Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme shelled out $3.8b between 2001 and 2007, where did it go? I know Ford got $52m for development of the FG, and Holden along with Toyota and Mitsubishi got some cake too, but $3.8b shelled out only for Holden to accumulate $350m and Ford $250m losses 2005-2008?

The current planned expenditure to the car industry by the Feds is $3.2b more than already commited, presumably by the previous govt. A total of $6.2b assistance is budgetted in the period 2008 - 2021:

Automotive Transformation Scheme (ATS), 2011 - 2020 = $3.4b
Green Car Innovation Fund, 2009 -2019 = $1.3b
Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme 2009 - 2011 = $79.6m
Mergers and consolidation within the components sector 2009 = $116.3m
Suppliers integration into national and global supply chain 2009-2010 = $20m
Enhanced market access scheme 2009 -2010 = $6.3m
LPG vehicle scheme = $10.5m
Balance = $1.2673b

The key planks for the assistance are $5.6b in automotive exports 2007-2008, $16b industry investment (to access all eligible funding) , around $10b p.a. service sector inputs, jobs, protectionism, yadda, yadda, yadda. And we are supposed to be proud of ourselves because Australia is one of only 15 countries who can build a car from scratch.

On top of this there are state govt handouts like $6.7 million Victorian Automotive Manufacturing Action Plan and $30m from the SA Govt for the Cruze.

We know Holden can, but haven't accessed the $200m line of credit, Ford have the $42m green fund gift, Ford Finance have $550m line of credit, Holden have $149m green fund gift for the Cruze, but where is the rest?

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post