Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:34 AM   #61
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as much as i love the Ford GT the vette is much more practical, on par with performance and in the states a load cheaper to buy. The C6 Z06 is a brilliant car for the money, I have seen docos of the development of this car, the amount of laps they did around the nurburgring makes that sabine schmitt from TG look like a new comer hehe.
Old 29-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #62
Ultimatefighter
Starter Motor

Default Yeah... yeah you wish!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
yeah, but the American Ford GT is better
I ain't seen any ford or dodge that can beat my Vette!! not even those over
rated Euro's..
Old 29-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #63
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatefighter
rated Euro's..
You dug up a year old thread for that fine 1st post. :
Old 29-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #64
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatefighter
rated Euro's..
Assuming you own a C6 Zo6 it's a nice car but still not worthy of the Ford GT.
Old 29-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #65
Bent8
Long live the GT !

The Z06 is essentially a track car, which means it's gonna give you a sore backside on the average road (especially on our roads).

Then there's the price, for $230K you can get a new FPV GT, supercharge it, stick some Koni's on it, tint, CAI, tune etc etc and have change to build your own private race track to drive it on...and then at the end of the day, drive home in complete comfort.

Can't do that with the Vette let alone carry 5 adults or tow a luxury boat plus to top it all off, it's not even a FORD!!!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 29-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #66
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
The Z06 is essentially a track car, which means it's gonna give you a sore backside on the average road (especially on our roads).

Then there's the price, for $230K you can get a new FPV GT, supercharge it, stick some Koni's on it, tint, CAI, tune etc etc and have change to build your own private race track to drive it on...and then at the end of the day, drive home in complete comfort.

Can't do that with the Vette let alone carry 5 adults or tow a luxury boat plus to top it all off, it's not even a FORD!!!
Why compare it against an aussie falcon period, i mean they were both built for difference purposes. The Zo6 is a raw sports car while the GT is a family/company car platform. As for the price there not $23oK because thats what they cost from the factory its $23ok cause theres at most 2-3 shops who are raw's accredited that can convert & compliance them hence they charge what ever they feel like, i saw a Shelby GT5oo advertised in perth today for $22o,ooo. New their $45,ooomsrp but go between 5o-6ok with dealer markup's.
Old 30-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #67
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Its a MLC car....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 30-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #68
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Why compare it against an aussie falcon period, i mean they were both built for difference purposes. The Zo6 is a raw sports car while the GT is a family/company car platform.
True dat but the whole point of the Vette is that you get supercar performance at a bargain price, but by the time you get it through Aus compliance/dealer markup, it doesn't have much going for it.

A Porcshe 911 Turbo is just as fast but still costs well over $200k, an M6/SL55 are also supercar fast but are just too expensive.

If I had the money, I'd go with an FPV because you don't have to spend a lot of money to get it to go and handle like a track car.

A standard 4.6L Mustang GT cost's over $100k here in Aus and even the GT500 (1781kg) would be no better than a supercharged FPV GT on the track...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 30-09-2007, 02:29 AM   #69
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I like his comment re the Corvette near the end of it...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uSHcJk...elated&search=
Love the powerslides hahahaha.

(sorry mods for posting the link here)
Old 30-09-2007, 02:40 AM   #70
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
True dat but the whole point of the Vette is that you get supercar performance at a bargain price, but by the time you get it through Aus compliance/dealer markup, it doesn't have much going for it.

A Porcshe 911 Turbo is just as fast but still costs well over $200k, an M6/SL55 are also supercar fast but are just too expensive.

If I had the money, I'd go with an FPV because you don't have to spend a lot of money to get it to go and handle like a track car.

A standard 4.6L Mustang GT cost's over $100k here in Aus and even the GT500 (1781kg) would be no better than a supercharged FPV GT on the track...
An FPV GT would hose a stock GT500 on any circuit.

The cars in the Z06's category, in Australia, stack up like this...

1. Porsche 911 Turbo
3.6litre Twin-Turbo 353kW 680Nm Flat-Six
0-100 in 3.2, 1/4 in 11.4, 310km/h top speed, 7:40 on the Nurburgring
$327,000

2. Ferrari F430
4.3litre V8 360kW 465Nm
0-100 in 3.5, 1/4 in 11.5, 315km/h top speed, 7:55 on the Nurburgring
$385,000

3. Lamborghini Gallardo
5.0litre V10 383kW 560Nm
0-100 in 3.7, 1/4 in 11.8, 309km/h top speed, 7:52 on the Nurburgring
$396,000

And then you have... the Chevrolet Corvette Z06, with a 7.0litre V8 with 377kW 637Nm, 0-100 in 3.5, 1/4 in 11.5, 317km/h top speed, 7:42.9 on the Nurburgring at $230,000.

Even with our overinflated prices, it is still argueably better value then any of the others, and only the Porsche is definitively faster. However, where it falls down for the extreme asking price is ride quality, build quality and interior quality, appointment and fit & finish. Every review I've read and seen (Top Gear etc) says it feels like a cheap car. Top Gear even reckon its a horror off the track. Which indicates something... it was built to cost the $65,800 it does brand new in the 'states, not $230,000.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 30-09-2007, 02:42 AM   #71
Steffo
LPG > You

Oh... forgot to add... for $252,000 you can pick up a 911 GT3 with its 305kW 407Nm 3.6litre Flat-Six which can hit 100 in 3.9 sec, storm the 1/2 in 12 flat and do 307km/h. Whilst being slower in a straight line then the rest of these cars, it ran 7:39 on the Nurburgring (using that track as a benchmark, based on earlier comments in this thread).

:
Old 30-09-2007, 03:03 AM   #72
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

TheSuspension set up puts the Vette to shame...230K for that? 'sif
Old 30-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #73
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, after all that criticism let's move on to the Calloway C16.
650hp, 0 - 60mph 3.3 sec, 1/4 mile 10.97 @129mph, US$140K
Take a look ... http://www.callawaycars.com/
Old 30-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #74
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
OK, after all that criticism let's move on to the Calloway C16.
650hp, 0 - 60mph 3.3 sec, 1/4 mile 10.97 @129mph, US$140K
Take a look ... http://www.callawaycars.com/
And what relevance has a modified Corvette got to talk of the standard Z06 being sold in Australia? There are better ones then that anyway, look up the Lingenfelter 427TT for one.

Oh wait... I just clicked the link and now I'm not sure if that thing is Corvette based or not... oops...

It looks it.... hrm.

:

Last edited by Steffo; 30-09-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 30-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #75
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I'd love a Z06 but at $230K they are dreaming. Its supposed to be the affordable supercar...yeah right.

For that money my chequebook would be visiting Porsche, Ferrari ect.
Old 30-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #76
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
1. Porsche 911 Turbo
3.6litre Twin-Turbo 353kW 680Nm Flat-Six
On a side note, the Porsche actually makes 620@2700rpm with a 60Nm overboost function which only lasts about 10secs...sorry to be nitpicking

Old 30-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #77
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
On a side note, the Porsche actually makes 620@2700rpm with a 60Nm overboost function which only lasts about 10secs...sorry to be nitpicking
I'm well aware of that. Oh, its torque peak starts at 1950rpm, not 2700rpm. There's a reason I've listed 680Nm. Think about it. You're about to race... are you not going to turn the Overboost function on? Just the same way as when you're about to race your E60 M5/E63 M6 you'd put it into 500hp mode.

:
Old 30-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #78
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
I'm well aware of that. Oh, its torque peak starts at 1950rpm, not 2700rpm. There's a reason I've listed 680Nm.
Yeh I thought you already knew that

I was reading a review on this car the other day and they also mentioned that the tiptronic is 3 tenths faster than the 6-speed manual!!...Porsche says the manual won't let the turbo's spool up quick enough...

Okay back on topic, check out this vid of the Z06 getting to 190mph from Motor Trend magazine...I knew the Vette was fast but damn it really is fast!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0

Old 30-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #79
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Yeh I thought you already knew that

I was reading a review on this car the other day and they also mentioned that the tiptronic is 3 tenths faster than the 6-speed manual!!...Porsche says the manual won't let the turbo's spool up quick enough...
What's surprising about the manual being slower? Its about time our transmission technology has got to the point where we can make an automatic change gears faster then the weakest link in the combination - the human. The days of manual being faster are long gone.

Plus the auto is getting scrapped late this year/early 08 for the PDK. Twin-clutch electronic sequential with 8ms (0.008 sec) shift times. Mmm.

:
Old 30-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #80
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

You know, I'm that much of a car nut, I'd almost sell up and move to the U.S. to drive a GT everyday. I love those damn things so much it hurts.

Daniel.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #81
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
And what relevance has a modified Corvette got to talk of the standard Z06 being sold in Australia? There are better ones then that anyway, look up the Lingenfelter 427TT for one.

Oh wait... I just clicked the link and now I'm not sure if that thing is Corvette based or not... oops...

It looks it.... hrm.

About the same relevance of what a 911 GT3 RS will do around the "Ring"

And ... oh wait ... sacasm is the lowest form of wit.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #82
burnz
VFII SS UTE

vid of the holden 500
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...6b000be7d2.htm
ford vs holden
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=15379
Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #83
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

[QUOTE = Steffo] What's surprising about the manual being slower? Its about time our transmission technology has got to the point where we can make an automatic change gears faster then the weakest link in the combination - the human. The days of manual being faster are long gone. [/QUOTE]
Not quite. The XR6/XR8 manuals seem to be quicker around circuits than the autos.

[QUOTE = Steffo] -An FPV GT would hose a stock GT500 on any circuit.
[/QUOTE]
I didn’t think that the GT500s were that slow! Times for stock FPV GT’s don’t seem to be that quick around a circuit – but they do the Grand Tourer “drive across states in a day” thing quite well.

Back on topic – I like the Z06. The C5/C6 vettes seem to have come a long way (granted they still have a way to go). If you want an ugly way of getting “good” figures look at the first Z51 package fitted to C4 vettes – they gave 1.0 lateral G with the Goodyear Gatorbacks but they were very harsh. Remember the latest Z06’s have revised dampers that are meant to make the handling a bit more friendlier. And from the photos I’ve seen of Jan Magnunssen (spelling?) setting the record lap at the ring he must have balls the size of basketballs.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #84
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
I didn’t think that the GT500s were that slow! Times for stock FPV GT’s don’t seem to be that quick around a circuit – but they do the Grand Tourer “drive across states in a day” thing quite well.

Back on topic – I like the Z06. The C5/C6 vettes seem to have come a long way (granted they still have a way to go). If you want an ugly way of getting “good” figures look at the first Z51 package fitted to C4 vettes – they gave 1.0 lateral G with the Goodyear Gatorbacks but they were very harsh. Remember the latest Z06’s have revised dampers that are meant to make the handling a bit more friendlier. And from the photos I’ve seen of Jan Magnunssen (spelling?) setting the record lap at the ring he must have balls the size of basketballs.
The GT500 is very heavy - as heavy as the GT, with truck-like suspension. Awesome live-axle rear end etc etc. Its a straight line rocket that can't turn. It's slower around corners then the old IRS supercharged Cobra.

The C4 'vette were pretty bad handlers. The Corvette Grand Sport (330hp 5.7litre GenII LT4 V8) did 8:44.83 on the Nurburgring-Nordschleife (yes, I have a bunch of readily available figures for that track). Compare that to the 2000 Integra Type R's 8:43, Bentley Continental GT's 8:40.30, 2001 Benz SL500's 8:38 and the C4 is pretty disappointing.

:
Old 01-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #85
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Here's a little comparo I put together...

As you can see the SLR kills the lot (almost) and you just gotta luv that engine note, as Jeremy Clarkson said once, it sounds like a Merlin from the Spitfire... :

Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #86
Steffo
LPG > You

Z06 is faster then that. 911 Turbo is faster then that. LP640 is way faster then that. Ford GT is faster then that. F430 is faster then that. The times on that list are all sorts of out... it should read...

Z06... 0-100 3.5, 1/4 11.5
Ford GT... 0-100 3.3, 1/4 11.2
911 Turbo... 0-100 3.2, 1/4 11.4
F430... 0-100 3.5, 1/4 11.5
LP640... 0-100 3.2, 1/4 11.4, 340km/h top speed not 309 (that's Gallardo)

:
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #87
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Z06 is faster then that. 911 Turbo is faster then that. LP640 is way faster then that. Ford GT is faster then that. F430 is faster then that. The times on that list are all sorts of out... it should read...
Guess it depends on the driver but you'd have to agree that any car that can hit 100km/h in under 4sec would be considered blindingly fast...

Whatever happened to the Carrera GT, looks like the new 911 Turbo is now faster...even though the GT has a high revving 5.7L V10 with over 600hp...

Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #88
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Guess it depends on the driver but you'd have to agree that any car that can hit 100km/h in under 4sec would be considered blindingly fast...

Whatever happened to the Carrera GT, looks like the new 911 Turbo is now faster...even though the GT has a high revving 5.7L V10 with over 600hp...
Carrera GT is not about straight-line power. Put it on any circuit and it would destroy the 911 Turbo. 7:28 vs 7:40 on the Nurburgring-Nordschleife is an example.

:
Old 02-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #89
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The C4 'vette were pretty bad handlers. The Corvette Grand Sport (330hp 5.7litre GenII LT4 V8) did 8:44.83 on the Nurburgring-Nordschleife (yes, I have a bunch of readily available figures for that track). Compare that to the 2000 Integra Type R's 8:43, Bentley Continental GT's 8:40.30, 2001 Benz SL500's 8:38 and the C4 is pretty disappointing.
From the http://www.nordschleife.no/ website no doubt? And that’s with the little 141kw Export engine not the 155kw Jap spec engine – the long straights would kill the Type R (max speed 240-250ish kmh). It’d hit it’s Vmax early and just sit there until the end of the straight.

P.S. Any laptimes for a stock RSC at the ‘Ring there Steffo? I know you don’t think much of the ITR’s but at Winton in the PCOTY tests the Renault Clios in 2002 & 2005 were slower than the DC5R & DC5S Integras. The RSC's might run better at other tracks.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 28-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #90
Blacknight
Starter Motor

I haven't driven a Zo-6 , but i own its predecessor a Zr-1 and know the handling characteristics of my ZR vs an FG GT-P man and there isn't much in them! FWIW the ZR has done 12.2 at 117 mph (stock) the FG is still to be tested but in the brake dept. its a no brainer FG leaves the ZR for dead ! mind you there is a 18 year age gap, and to justify an extra 130k for 28kmph and only 3-4 tenths quicker in the 1/4 mile not justifiable! so I bought a FG GT-P instead!
Closed Thread