Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Lynch'd

Default Help! Accident damage repairs.

Guys,

Really in need of some advice here as i'm not sure if i'm having one pulled over me. Details of the accident are here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11270176

Its currently being repaired but 2 things I need advice on badly. I'm way out of my depth on both the experience and technical side of accident repairs and only have common sense to rely on.

1) The front bar (not sure if this is the correct technical term) wore the brunt of the impact. Being a structural part of the car I was under the impression this would need to be replaced as it would compromise the structural integrity in any future impact. Well I was told today by the repairer that it has just been repaired (without removing it) rather than replaced. See pics below. Is this safe?? Should I be concerned about this??

Before:

After:

2) I am still after advise on the broken engine mount. Is this a common thing to burst in an impact? What other damage could it cause?

Any and all assistance or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They should really replaced that front rad support... I would be jumping up and down as its not an expensive cosmetic part.... I hope they are giving you a new front bar!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a small front on last year - 15-20km into the back of a stationary car where the driver took his foot off the brake and rolled down the hill into the next car. The prang dented the front of the bonnet down, cracked the bumper in the middle and bent the grill all up.

I claimed it on insurance and this ended up being a $4000 job just on my car. They had to replace the front crossbeam (not sure on its actual name) and you can only get them directly from ford and they cost $870 or thereabouts - It's where the airbag sensors are (they cant be repaired, they must be replaced - what i was told)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have expected them to replace that support. Mine got bent in a similar way when I was in an accident (in my BA) and they replaced it.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
They should really replaced that front rad support... I would be jumping up and down as its not an expensive cosmetic part.... I hope they are giving you a new front bar!
Ok thanks. I'm now chasing up the rad support with the repair shop manager now. As for the front bumper bar I've been told by the insurance company it will only be a reco one. Apparently their policy is to only replace with new OEM part if its within new cr warranty period (mines 04 so its not). If outside this they can replace with reco, non OEM or otherwise and only needs to be relative to the age and condition of the vehicle. Thankfully the ute had been detailed only 2 days before and is/was in mint condition. Look out if the new front bar isn't the same!

(Sadly I do have a sneaking susspicion they may be trying to repair my old one as its dissapeared and they keep coming up with excuses as to why i can't see the new one : ).

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Old 26-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
silverau11
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch'd
Ok thanks. I'm now chasing up the rad support with the repair shop manager now. As for the front bumper bar I've been told by the insurance company it will only be a reco one. Apparently their policy is to only replace with new OEM part if its within new cr warranty period (mines 04 so its not). If outside this they can replace with reco, non OEM or otherwise and only needs to be relative to the age and condition of the vehicle. Thankfully the ute had been detailed only 2 days before and is/was in mint condition. Look out if the new front bar isn't the same!

(Sadly I do have a sneaking susspicion they may be trying to repair my old one as its dissapeared and they keep coming up with excuses as to why i can't see the new one : ).

hate to say it but more than lilkely they will be repairing your old bar. shops can charge out 75% of the cost of a new bar by quoting a second hand one then fix yours good money to be made. id be paying them some extra money to primer the whole bonnet not just front edge you will get a better finnish especialy if you got stone chips
silverau11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

ewww....

Are they dodgy brothers or something.. Whos the insurer.. I would want new parts only....
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverau11
hate to say it but more than lilkely they will be repairing your old bar. shops can charge out 75% of the cost of a new bar by quoting a second hand one then fix yours good money to be made. id be paying them some extra money to primer the whole bonnet not just front edge you will get a better finnish especialy if you got stone chips
It really ____ me that they're allowed to do this! For an accident that wasn't my fault I end up with a bunch of reco or repaired parts all over the front of my car.

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

My Build Thread
Old 26-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
ewww....

Are they dodgy brothers or something.. Whos the insurer.. I would want new parts only....
Insurer I wont name but lets say they are well known and are renowned for insuring performance cars for younger drivers.

Really wish i'd read the fine print in the policy a little closer. I fork out a fortune for full comp on my car and even when not at fault (ie, they aren't paying for a thing as the other guy had full comp through another insurer) they try to cut corners on the repair job.

My Build Thread
Old 26-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
Hitman
Way over here

Why is your insurance paying for the repair, I thought that was what the other guys insurance is for?
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Ok, so we've figured its J.C. Best to name the insurer mate, rather than having others sitting paying premiums who will get the same experience when they renew.

If this is the case, it may be a message to them to get off that insurer when they can reasonably afford another.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
Lane351

By looks of the damage to to the Reinforcement bar with the right pry bars that is an easy repair and acceptable by the insurance company
Lane351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Why is your insurance paying for the repair, I thought that was what the other guys insurance is for?
My insurance company isn't paying for the repairs, they just organise them and claim it all back off the other guys insurance company.

The bit that doesn't make sense to me is the only thing they have to lose here is a customer (me) and yet they insist on cutting corners and stone walling me whenever I query something. :
Old 26-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Lane351

Quote:
My insurance company isn't paying for the repairs, they just organise them and claim it all back off the other guys insurance company.

The bit that doesn't make sense to me is the only thing they have to lose here is a customer (me) and yet they insist on cutting corners and stone walling me whenever I query something. :
Doesnt look like they are cutting corners the original welds are still intact just need a bit of a pull forward fyi I'm a panelbeater by trade for over 30yrs and thats what I would have done
Lane351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
A good tip that I learnt from someone thats a bit accident prone, he knows who he is if he looks at this
If it wasn't your fault, dont even bother telling your insurance company just do it all through the other persons insurance... Im about at the end of my ordeal of someone reversing into the front of my ute a few weeks back when it was parked at work. Its booked in for repair on monday, everything is paid for how I wanted it to be

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane351
Doesnt look like they are cutting corners the original welds are still intact just need a bit of a pull forward fyi I'm a panelbeater by trade for over 30yrs and thats what I would have done
Sorry I need to distinguish here between the insurance company and the panel beater. The panel beater has chosen to repair that bar and your feedback is exactly what I was looking for. I haven't looked that closely at the welds to check but thankyou for the feedback.

The cutting corners was a reference to the insurance company on a few other things when conducting the assessment like telling me oil sprayed throughout the engine bay was old (clearly not and turned out to be a broken engine mount), the deep gash across one of the headlights would be "barely noticeable" when the front bar went back on and therefore would not be repaired, and that the missalignement between the quarter panel and drivers side door that was out to nealy an inch after the accident was "normal" and "all cars have them". I could go on for hours with my concerns about the assessment but that's for another thread.

My Build Thread
Old 26-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #17
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
A good tip that I learnt from someone thats a bit accident prone, he knows who he is if he looks at this
If it wasn't your fault, dont even bother telling your insurance company just do it all through the other persons insurance... Im about at the end of my ordeal of someone reversing into the front of my ute a few weeks back when it was parked at work. Its booked in for repair on monday, everything is paid for how I wanted it to be
Yes I realised this is how I should have done it a little too late. Being my first accident I figured i'd paid all this money for full comprehensive insurance I might as well let them do all the running around and paperwork. MY MISTAKE. You live and learn I guess.

My Build Thread
Old 26-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
f100racing
1977 F100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane351
Have to agree. Seen this repair many times, totaly fine.
Also agree in paying a little extra to get the whole bonnet primed, far better result.
f100racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
Lynch'd

Still dont like it and will definately push to get it replaced but i'm a little more comfortable hearing a couple of people say its been repaired before.

Unfortunately I believe it went in for painting today so probably a bit late to prime the rest of the bonnet. Will have to wait and see how it comes out.
Old 26-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
Being an insurance worker it really makes me wonder why anyone would have this attiude if you have comprehensive insurance.
No matter who is at fault in the accident ALWAYS use your own insurance!!!!
You pay them for the service, make them do thier job.
That way you don't have to wait around for the other person to make a claim, pay thier excess or stuff you around.
If your not at fault and you can give your insurer the name, address, and rego of the third party at fault you have no need to worry.

By the way a little know fact (legal fact)
The other persons insurer DOES NOT HAVE TO repair your vehicle. A lot will as it can be a money saver for them, however it is not a legal requirement, they do not have to chase you up. However they do have to finacially compensate your loss but only after YOU mitigate your loss. In other words provide 2 quotes, or have the vehicle repaired yourself, provide the invoice and quote and even then on a fair and reasonable basis, meaning if a person like the OP in this thread has a car that is out of its manuafcuturer warranty had put a brand new part on rather than a recycled part consistent with the age of the vehcile, the assessor could pay what the recycled part was worth rather than what the new part was worth as being fair and reasonable. If you were to take that to court or small claims on that basis you would lose. which is EXACTLY what happens between insurance companies, which is why if you have a policy that does state new parts will be used you pay top dollar for that policy because at claim time that insurer will not recoup 100% of thier bill like most people think.
Old 26-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #21
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Not happy with the repairer's job, I always say this and not sure how many ppl/members take notice of the seriousness but why dont you have a look thru IVIC, or googgle it and give them a ring around, if he can help you, you'd be suprised with the answers you get back from this guy... I met him personally and these guys will give u the best advice... hope this helps mate, if more info is required I can help you get there contact details...
Old 27-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #22
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lynch'd, they only have to use parts that are of the same age as your car or newer.

sorry to tell you that really it comes down to costs.

if the new part is cheaper then getting it s/h, which sometimes happnens, they will use new.

it's desgined to keep costs down for everyone. if they were to use nothing but new parts on all accident damaged cars, no one would be able to afford insurance.

they only have to put you back into the position that you were previously. this includes your own ins company

ie a 2004 radiator support can be rebuilt using a 2004 rad support provided the one they are using is of sound structural integrity.

the bar that you show really has bugger all damage in the repair scheme of things. had it been bent back another 2/3 inches and the seam split then yes they would have got anotehr one.

with regards to the insurance compnay giving you grief over a gashed headlight, i'd be spitting chips at them, if it was done during the incident then they MUST repair or replace, regardless of whether you go through them or your own ins.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Well, personally, Dont give a rats **** when it comes to stuff like this, cos if im not happy with the job the repairers done (although most try to cut costs like mentioned above) I will take it further as its my car and want that thing 99.99% near perfect. everyone has a right to drive a safe valid car on the road without endangering their lives or others around...
Old 27-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #24
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

If you're not happy about the job, contact the insurer. They'd have an official channel to go through. End thread.
Old 27-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #25
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
If you're not happy about the job, contact the insurer. They'd have an official channel to go through. End thread.
Guys, thankyou to everyone who has commented here. I was not posting so I could whinge about the insurer or the repairer. Rather, I was after genuine advice as to whether the work being done was appropriate as I have zero experience with this.

Saying to just deal through the insurers complaints resolution process is all well and good if you know exactly what you'r talking about but with my understanding i could not question anything they told me. Thanks to the posts & PM's I'm far better equiped to ask the right questions and ensure my ute comes back to me in as near to the same condition as it was before the accident.

I believe the repair work will be finished tomorrow and i'm getting a second opinion on it early next week so i'll post up the outcome.

Lynch'd

My Build Thread
Old 28-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #26
Coupes and More
Formerly HAMFIST

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The work he does and the quality for his age is inspiring. keeps me always looking at his thread and a lot of people seem to get a better understanding on how to do things and what can be saved by his photo full threads 

if it was me id want them to replace it cos that one that has been repaired will NEVER be as strong as it was before. next time you crash it, it will fold alot easyer and wont be doing its job properly.
Coupes and More is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post