Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

VE is definately looking tired.. Theres no doubt about it. I cant believe they didnt even upgrade wheels / specs a little?? While HSV have done the opposite? It really makes no sense, hsv will have nothing when holden bring out the VF!

VF isnt that far away neways, 9 months or so...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #32
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's interesting to read that Caradvice think the overtaking acceleration is just fine in the 3L when Drive says it's noticeably lacking...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #33
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Based on the few first drives i've just read its a case of good and bad news for Holden. The lack of any real styling change will hurt, but probably not as much as the dating interior which really is not holding up well. The minor suspension changes are largely to compensate for the lower rolling resistance tyres which probably don't grip as well.

Engine wise, well its pretty much as expected. No doubt a major improvement compared to what they have now (that wasn't hard), particulary the 4sp auto bieng swapped out for the 6sp.

The 3.0 is really the more impressive, which come as a bit of a surprise, most likely because when compared to the base engine used up till now it looks ok. The reviews of course were not against competitors, so its hard to say how the falcon would stack up. Go auto noted that the 3.6 while improved doe not really out grunt in any way 'competitors' (read falcon) top level engines. Being 40nm down on FG probably doesn't help any.

The 3.0 certainly is better than many may have predicted (6spauto helps there) but once again it was not compared to its rivals. If anything the 3.6 shows just how pointless the 3.0 is since the smaller engine was only 0.5L/100km better on the highway and within a litre on the slower stuff.

Also of note was the quoted numbers which didnt' really seem any better than FG was achieving on test drives early. maybe some of the FG owners could get on here and let us know what sort of fuel burn the FG achieves on the highway because i think it was doing in the 7s at times which is what this 3.0 gets according to early reports.
.................................................. ..........................................
EDIT: Found this about FG XT fuel economy in a go auto review from when FG was launched in mid 2008.

A trip down the highway from Campbellfield to Geelong, which included some heavy traffic, resulted in a simply stunning fuel economy figure of 7.4L/100km. Of course, the figure was higher around town, but ended up averaging 10.4L/100km after a mix of city and highway running.

Of course, different drivers, different roads etc. etc. i understand. Just pointing out that based on what the scribes have outlined (country roads, some windy stuff, 100km/h etc.) the VE MY10 is not really doing anything a FG XT hasn't done OVER A YEAR AGO. I think the Falcon/Commodore comparions will be interesting to see just how much advantage (if any) the Holden really has RE fuel economy. Performance wise i think Falcon still has it easy.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....

Last edited by Swordsman88; 08-09-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #34
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

When your daddy is broke, theres not much room for a pocket money allowance.
Lucky they got the engine.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #35
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a picture somewhere, Of my centre thingo on the FG T, was getting 10.1L/100km of combined (read good 50/50 mix) of highway and bumper to bumper brissy traffic, i'll see if i can find the picture, That was after 7000km's too....not just over 200km's.

Apologize all around, its 10.2L/100km.

Damn, i thought i was saving the planet :(

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door

Last edited by GT69; 08-09-2009 at 10:44 PM.
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #36
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I think they could have cleaned up the interior a little. Exterior is fine especially in SSV form. The change is no different than say EB-ED, VR-VS, VY-VZ or BA-BF2.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #37
Ratmac
Starter Motor

Im surprised anyone here would make fun of holden for not updating the look of the ve.
The BA was released in 2002 and barley changed in appearance until 2006 thats 4 years.
The ve is only 3 years old and a physical update is most likely going to be next year.
Holden seem to have a new strategy of releasing updates as opposed to series and they will have to wait until they sales figures are released to see if this works or not.
I wouldn't call it a flop just yet....
Ratmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #38
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

From the topic thread , 'ARE YOU SERIOUS ! " , the last 2 to 3 years worth of holdens imo have all looked pretty much the same no matter what model it is, and they still all have small interiors as usual. Holdens were cool back in the 70's & 80's ( the old slr 5000's , old Monaros etc etc ) , but these days they realy lack individuality imo, they're all the same these days. Give me an Ford anyday.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #39
vee-eight
Starter Motor

On the gm forums, theres a topic on the 3L being almost pointless because in all except 2 or 3 models its in, it uses more fuel and is usually put in cars not suitable, too heavy and 4wds and therefore suffers performance wise... The interiors in the V models is holding up fine i reckon, its that junky cheap one in the base ss and omega models that is just horrible from day 1!

Good on them for changing the engine though, just hope the 3.6 sidi ends up as good as they say.

At the end of the day fords and holdens tactics are the same, they just go about it in different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Based on the few first drives i've just read its a case of good and bad news for Holden. The lack of any real styling change will hurt, but probably not as much as the dating interior which really is not holding up well. The minor suspension changes are largely to compensate for the lower rolling resistance tyres which probably don't grip as well.

Engine wise, well its pretty much as expected. No doubt a major improvement compared to what they have now (that wasn't hard), particulary the 4sp auto bieng swapped out for the 6sp.

The 3.0 is really the more impressive, which come as a bit of a surprise, most likely because when compared to the base engine used up till now it looks ok. The reviews of course were not against competitors, so its hard to say how the falcon would stack up. Go auto noted that the 3.6 while improved doe not really out grunt in any way 'competitors' (read falcon) top level engines. Being 40nm down on FG probably doesn't help any.

The 3.0 certainly is better than many may have predicted (6spauto helps there) but once again it was not compared to its rivals. If anything the 3.6 shows just how pointless the 3.0 is since the smaller engine was only 0.5L/100km better on the highway and within a litre on the slower stuff.

Also of note was the quoted numbers which didnt' really seem any better than FG was achieving on test drives early. maybe some of the FG owners could get on here and let us know what sort of fuel burn the FG achieves on the highway because i think it was doing in the 7s at times which is what this 3.0 gets according to early reports.
.................................................. ..........................................
EDIT: Found this about FG XT fuel economy in a go auto review from when FG was launched in mid 2008.

A trip down the highway from Campbellfield to Geelong, which included some heavy traffic, resulted in a simply stunning fuel economy figure of 7.4L/100km. Of course, the figure was higher around town, but ended up averaging 10.4L/100km after a mix of city and highway running.

Of course, different drivers, different roads etc. etc. i understand. Just pointing out that based on what the scribes have outlined (country roads, some windy stuff, 100km/h etc.) the VE MY10 is not really doing anything a FG XT hasn't done OVER A YEAR AGO. I think the Falcon/Commodore comparions will be interesting to see just how much advantage (if any) the Holden really has RE fuel economy. Performance wise i think Falcon still has it easy.
vee-eight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #40
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmac
Im surprised anyone here would make fun of holden for not updating the look of the ve.
The BA was released in 2002 and barley changed in appearance until 2006 thats 4 years.
The ve is only 3 years old and a physical update is most likely going to be next year.
Holden seem to have a new strategy of releasing updates as opposed to series and they will have to wait until they sales figures are released to see if this works or not.
I wouldn't call it a flop just yet....
For me, it's all that massive advertising about the 'billion dollar baby', along with the media adulation the Commodore receives.
The BFII was also able to compete damn well with the VE, despite it being from the AU platform and apparently outdated...

I prefer the look of the VY/Z over the VE. VE looks ghastly in Omega form...like an East German model beefed up with steroids.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 01:49 AM   #41
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Hmmm Caradvice article reads like a advertisement. The coverage of the 3.0L is like a marketing blurb focussing on its 'strengths' and glossing over its weaknesses.

Sacrilege or not, I'd like to test drive a SV6 with the 3.6 SIDI in manual form, could be a hoot.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #42
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Hmmm Caradvice article reads like a advertisement. The coverage of the 3.0L is like a marketing blurb focussing on its 'strengths' and glossing over its weaknesses.
Yes having read that it is pretty much a first off the rank, copy and paste of the holden press release. This happens from time to time and the first bunch of reports are always light on drive impressions because the manufacturer limits both availability and the test route. And media outlets push to be the first to press. The inconsistencies in the launch reviews so far is pretty much proof of this problem.

Also don't discount the reviewer. Different scribes have different bents...its not bias per se just bug bears they may have. I know of one go auto reviewer who is very pro Ford because he loves how they drive and the euro direction....but others at the same website have praised Honda because of interior fitment and turned a blind eye to somewhat lesser handling. Its personal preference and when you are talking early impressions like this you get a fair bit of that.

In the long run i trust caradvice (and go auto, carpoint etc.) to generally get to more of the truth of the situation in the longer term. As for Wheels and others well these days sadly i'm not so sure. Drive/Caradvice are pretty useless and biased respectively, as most on here realise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Sacrilege or not, I'd like to test drive a SV6 with the 3.6 SIDI in manual form, could be a hoot.
Well its important to know thy enemy...so go for it!! BUT, the problem isn't whether a SV6 3.6 SIDI is a hoot, its if it is more of a hoot than a manual XR6 FG. Time will tell but i think old Henry will be up to the task.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #43
Need_a_V8

How is it a new model? Its still VE and its not called VE II either. Its just a model year update. I didn't see a MY07 to MY08 or MY09 change either.
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I dont see a point is starting ANOTHER Holden thread as as this is meant to be apart of the MY10 model.

E85: Commodore’s next big thing

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25762A0019991C
thats all well and good, but where's the e85 infrastructure?? where do i fill up my e85 powered vehicle. until that really takes off, sales off alternate fuel vehicles will struggle.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #45
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Yeah, it's true. It'll always look cr@p
That's a golden comment right there.

Quote: