Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
1TUFXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Light Bulbs???!!!!!

Hi All,

I am thinking about getting some super bright xenon look alike bulbs in my car. The real white bright lights.... i had a pair on my BA and they were half as powerful as my standard bulbs, can anyone tell me which bulbs they recommend, how much they are and where i can get them from?

Also, will changing the bulbs void warranty??? <--- may sound silly, but using a non factory oil filter actually voids warranty on the Fg series..

You help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

1TUFXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

There are a few options you can go for depending on your wallet. If you are looking to improve your night vision then a good Narva or Phillips +50 will give best light for your buck at under $30. The whiter you go the less penetration you'll get till you start to go blue once over 6000k (kelvin). The +50s' are around 3500k. If you have the money to spend you can go for Phillips Crystal vision at 4300k at about $50-$60 or Diamond Vision at 5000k starting at about $85 and up depending on the globe. Just as a point of reference, midday sunny day light is 5500-6000k, beyond that you start to go into the blue spectrum through to purple once you get up into 5 figures, ie. 10-12000k which are useless if you actually want to see where you are going. Around the city and in town a +50 is more than enough to see where you are going, if you want maximum light and white for highway travel look at putting HIDs' in your high beams. A good Zenon globe will put out 1500-ish lumens(measure if light) where as HID will start at 4000-ish lumens. I have 55w HID high beams at 6000k and 4500 lumens in my Fairlane and when they come on it's literally like daylight for the first 200m to about 20-25m each side of the road then because of the diffused pattern of my lenses there is a slightly spread pencil beam up the road to about 450-500m, All this from a 5" lense. I have +50s' and 100wH3 high beams plus 100w Narva Ultimas on my missus' AU wagon and my Fairlane is easily a match for it in light output with white light not yellow like her AU. Another good thing about the white light is it's alot softer on the eyes when reflecting off of highway signs compared to the yellow-er lights. The only thing with HIDs' is that they don't give max light immediately but take a few seconds to warm up. If you flip back to high beam after dipping within about 10-12 seconds you'll get pretty much full blast again but after that they start to cool down and need to warm up again but I recon that;s a small price to pay for the light output you get. Just remember it's illegal to put HIDs in your low beam unless you have self levelling suspension AND headlight wipers. A stupid law but some beaurocrat decided to follow the european standard instead of actually thinking about it.
HIDs' can be picked up off of Ebay for under $200 as a plug in replacement.
Hope this helps.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Just remember it's illegal to put HIDs in your low beam unless you have self levelling suspension AND headlight wipers. A stupid law but some beaurocrat decided to follow the european standard instead of actually thinking about it
I think you meant to say self levelling lights and headlight washers.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

It's a good law, there is nothing more annoying then HIDs blinding you every time an oncoming car hits a bump. Driving with your high beams on will also make you see further, doesn't make it good for other drivers.
Keep in mind your eyes work best in yellow-ish light, so while a blue beam looks cool, you wont be able to see as well.
Depends on whether you want Form or function.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I think you meant to say self levelling lights and headlight washers.
Yup, you're right about the lights,sorry, I drive a truck and I'm used to the self leveling being in the rear suspension and the headlight washers are generally accompanied by wipers and if I remember, when I was researching the laws before I fitted my HIDs it does mention the wipers as well as washers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
It's a good law, there is nothing more annoying then HIDs blinding you every time an oncoming car hits a bump. Driving with your high beams on will also make you see further, doesn't make it good for other drivers.
Keep in mind your eyes work best in yellow-ish light, so while a blue beam looks cool, you wont be able to see as well.
Depends on whether you want Form or function.
I agree and think the self leveling is a no brainer but the headlight washer/wiper part is just daft here in oz. Those are designed for snow and sleet in europe that will refract the light and can be washed off but out here how long do you recon a wiper will last trying to get dry, cooked and crusty bug splatter off of a polycarbonate headlight not to mention scratching the crap out of the headlight in no time flat, it's a poorly thought out law, self leveling yes but headlight washer/wiper won't work IMO.

As for seeing better in yellow light, that I guess is subjective but I find I can see better in the white light,(not blue) than the yellow light that my missus wagon has. Yellow penetrates more which is one of the reasons why they are used as fog lights but white is better for your vision as it mimicks natural daylight at 5500-6000 kelvin which is what the human eye has evolved to best see in. I agree that once they get to the blue spectrum you can't see chit but the blue lenses you see alot of these days don't light up as blue, they just counter the yellow of the regular globes and the light actually projected comes back to the 5-6000k range as it passes through the blue filter thus closer to natural daylight.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 12-11-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Anything above 4300 k and your eyes cannot take advantage - they see the yellow spectrum better because the back glare isn't quite as severe especially from road signs. Also in wet conditions your normal halogen globes are much more effective at helping you see the lines on the road - the HID and Xenon filled globes effectively mask the lines and you are driving "blind".

I recommend you stay with a +50 or +30 halogen globe. It will not effect your warranty as the heat from the globe is no more than your standard ones. I would not recommend Narva as they have a shorter life span - Philips are your better option. I personally use Wurth as I get them through the trade. They are excellent - made in Germany and definitely worth the money.

PS. I have a very personal gripe against HID globes especially in cars that were not designed for them. Bad enough we have to put up with the glare from Euro and Jap cars but when I see a Falcon or Commode with them I see RED!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he already has a thread about this

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11279115

And HID bolt in kits that arent projector style should be burnt down.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have hid 4300`s in my xr6 i don`t have any one flashing me because they are glarey , i have them adjusted slightly down and there`s no problem, hid or standard head lights, if farmer joe has a boot load of fire wood your gunna feel the pain anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post