Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Default Reply from Patrick Conlon (minister for infrastructure) Re Adelaide Motorplex

I thought I'd post this up, its more 'maybe' from the alp but at least they responded.

Quote:
To Mr. Rann

It was with great suprise to read the Advertiser's article titled "Fight is on for $25m motor sport venue" (24/7/09). The article claims that
The Land Management Corporation has blocked the building of a motorsport venue. I urge you to look into this, as the venue has numerous social and economic benefits for the state. As well as circuit racing, the venue would provide a much needed 1/4 mile drag strip. There are no operating 1/4 mile drag strips in South Australia, and myself and others are forced to travel interstate to race and spectate at considerable cost. Drag racing is one of the true blue collar sports that people such as myself can get involved with. The Clipsal 500 is great to watch, but I am unlikely to ever be in a position where I can participate.

I would think that a labor government would see this as an opportunity for the state and its people. I have watched your government make changes regarding the Adelaide City Council's planning powers to help bolster development. I hope with this in mind you will ask the LMC to reconsider its decision.

Regards,
Barry van Laatum

Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
smally289
growing up is optional

Well thats killed it off then. You guys may as well get behind our Riverland 1/4 mile track. We have the land, EPA and Native Veg clearance and the local council is also supporting us. The $$ chase is on.
Oh, and free camping at my place (3 minutes from the track) for anyone entering a Ford!!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
COUPE 72
coupe 72

I bet if Lance Armstrong wanted to build a veladrome or bike track there, there would be a ground breaking ceremony there tomorrow. Just more evidence of the government hiding behind red tape and Rann's jerky knee.
As for the Riverland project, i will support the venture but i wont be able to take my family to every meeting, there definately needs to be a track here in Adelaide and could be a real benefit to your track if both parties work together and cross promote.Where i believe the racing community will support the Riverland track, racers will travel no matter where the tracks are but to pull big crowds from Adelaide on a regular basis will be a challenge. With the growing TV coverage on one i believe the riverland track will gain great exposure like the recent meeting in McKay in Nth Queensland which was some good racing, hopefully your track will gain some good level of sponsorship.
Good luck to riverland drag racing club, i wish you every sucess but we still need a track here in Adelaide
If Gillman is truely dead will the consortium walk? What are their back up plans?
COUPE 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
PALE ALE

Well, today is the day the consortium is supposed to be having their meeting with Pat Conlon. Going by that letter of reply, it doesnt look good for the Gilman site. Hopefully they can negotiate another parcel of land, where I dont know, maybe Monarto?
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Barry_v
rocknrolla

an update from www.adelaidemotorplex.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Micheel
Hi Everyone,

Have just returned from a meeting with Minister Conlan. Attendees were as follows: Federal Member for Port Adelaide, Mark Butler and his PA, Wayne Gibbons, CEO of Land Management Corporation, Minister Conlan and his PA/Chief of Staff, Tony Thornton and Harry White, both from ANDRA, Adam Willis from CAMS, the Investors and myself.

Whilst the meeting did not produce the desired outcome with Gillman, I was still buoyed with the response received. The Government will not or cannot release the Gillman site to us until they receive the outcome from studies being undertaken on the Salt Pans and possible reclamation there of.

Minister Conlon was supportive of the Motorsport Complex to the extent he has directed the LMC to undertake a review of other potential sites that maybe suitable for our use.

There is another meeting with the LMC set for the middle of December to discuss the findings of the above review.

Whilst I understand that everyone will be disappointed with the above result, I ask you to realise that this is all a numbers game for the Government. It is now that I need as much support as you can rally for the project. Please continue to write or even make appointments with your Local Member to discuss why you want the Motorsport Complex to happen.

We are at a crucial time - I believe we are close to achieving our goal but it is time for all Motorsport Taxing Paying Enthusiasts to rally together. The Government is all about numbers - if we have the numbers the Government will act, if not - all will be lost.

So, please - do not sit on your backsides and wait for everyone else to do the job. HELP US!

The Election - March 20th 2010!
Old 13-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE 72
I bet if Lance Armstrong wanted to build a veladrome or bike track there, there would be a ground breaking ceremony there tomorrow. Just more evidence of the government hiding behind red tape and Rann's jerky knee.
Hardly. Velodromes are getting as rare as drag strips in Australia.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Hardly. Velodromes are getting as rare as drag strips in Australia.
Ya know what mean though, Rann will spend bucket loads on other events but wont support motorsport unless theres somethin in it for Labor in South Australia like the clipsal 500. And Lance Armstrong is Ranns new best friend.

You dont see Rann in the states chasing Larry Dixon and John Force to race in Adelaide.

P.S. Does Anna saying that if people power doesnt win the gilman site and all is lost and that the consortium will walk if they dont get it? Ihope not, otherwise their credability will also be lost!!!

Last edited by COUPE 72; 13-11-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 13-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE 72
P.S. Does Anna saying that if people power doesnt win the gilman site and all is lost and that the consortium will walk if they dont get it? Ihope not, otherwise their credability will also be lost!!!
where did you get that idea? in her last update (which I posted) she mentioned other sites being discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Micheel
Minister Conlon was supportive of the Motorsport Complex to the extent he has directed the LMC to undertake a review of other potential sites that maybe suitable for our use.
The government rhetoric is changing, instead of turbo tom dismissing the idea completely we've got real discussion on the plan. I think the signs are more positive now than they've ever been.
Old 14-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
where did you get that idea? in her last update (which I posted) she mentioned other sites being discussed.

The government rhetoric is changing, instead of turbo tom dismissing the idea completely we've got real discussion on the plan. I think the signs are more positive now than they've ever been.

The government are discussing other options but the consortium want Gilman i just hope that if Gilman is no longer an option that the investors dont walk because they didnt get their prefered option. Maybe im paranoid but they may have specific reason other than racing for that particular site that no other site can give and it may be the only reason the unnamed investor is involved. if its not important to the consortium where the motorplex is built only that is close to the cbd then there is no problem and my reservations will have been for nothing, and im happy for that to be the case. i am not questioning the intent of Anna or Roc or any other drag racing enthusiest campaining on this project.

Anna's body language after the meeting with Mr Conlin didnt look very positive to me, I just wonder some times about the consortiums motives and the lack of information coming from them. i know they wouldnt want to discuss alternative locations until all efforts are exhausted at Gilman but not all the investors are drag racing people and they want return on their investment and rightly so.
Old 14-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
PALE ALE

I too think that not all is lost, the federal member for Port Adelaide attended the meeting, as did a member from CAMS, hopefully if Gilman is found to be unsuitable, the LMC will find suitable land somewhere. I was told today, that WSID,KWINANA are both closer to residential housing, than the Gilman site will be, if I can work out this "Google Earth" thing, I will check it out

Last edited by PALE ALE; 14-11-2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: spellin
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post