Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default ACT government looks to reduce local speed limit to 40km/h

http://www.caradvice.com.au/49411/ac...imit-to-40kmh/

Quote:

ACT government looks to reduce local speed limit to 40km/h

November 27, 2009 by Matt Brogan

ACT Minister for Transport, Jon Stanhope, is urging Canberrans to have their say on whether speeds limits around busy retail and commercial precincts should be reduced to improve the safety of pedestrians and cyclists.

Canberrans have until Friday December 18 to provide feedback on whether the 40 km/h speed limit, which currently applies in school zones, should be expanded to other areas of the ACT such as shopping centres and community facilities.

Stanhope said an independent review, commissioned by the Government, had confirmed a 40 km/h speed limit could improve the safety of vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists in areas of “high activity”.

“The ACT Government is exploring whether to expand the 40 km/h speed limit to targeted areas where there are significant numbers of pedestrians and cyclists.

“We are inviting Canberrans to have their say on whether they believe a 40 km/h speed limit would be appropriate for their neighbourhood shopping centre or town centre,” he said.

Stanhope said even small reductions in speed limits could significantly improve the likelihood of a pedestrian or cyclist surviving a crash.

“The risk of death to a pedestrian or cyclist struck at 60 km/h is greater than 90 per cent compared to 30 per cent at a collision speed of 40 km/h.”

The debate follows calls from Sydney’s Lord Mayor Clover Moore, who in August said that the CBD and inner suburbs needed 40 km/h limits to protect pedestrians.

She said pedestrians were involved in 23.8 per cent of road accidents in the City of Sydney in 2007 compared to the state average of 8.3 per cent.

“Just 15 per cent of people travel to work in the Sydney CBD by car, and the rest, 85 per cent, travel on foot, by bike or public transport.

“It’s time we made this majority a priority,” she said.

The ACT Government is yet to decide exactly where the reduced speed limit would apply if approved.

“Further consultation will be undertaken with locals and traders if the proposal is supported by the community,” Stanhope said.

Canberrans can provide feedback by completing a questionnaire available online at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/, or in hard copy at Canberra Connect shop-fronts and public libraries.
Old 27-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“The risk of death to a pedestrian or cyclist struck at 60 km/h is greater than 90 per cent compared to 30 per cent at a collision speed of 40 km/h.”

Yeah at 40km/h you just end up with a shattered spine, but you'll be alive!!!

what they fail to say is in the CBD and such arias you would be hard pressed to get to 60km/h unless it's early morning or late night when there are verry few pedestrians, hell larst time i drove into the Perth CBD in Peak hour my average speed would have been 20km/h.
Old 27-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

These ideas always make me laugh, of course lower speed limits reduce risks, why not just ban cars and make us walk?

It seems pedestrians are incapable of looking before crossing the road, if 40kph is good, everyone walking must surely be better.... :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I wouldn't worry about this too much, think CBD's. Its *not* a replacement for the built-up area default.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

ACT !! Yea so much hot air down there..
They can use sails...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is my say "Get effed" :

Drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists down here just suck, the speed limit aint the problem it's already slow enough.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

fair few spots in my area are 40kph, sucks the big one
Old 27-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

How about we teach people to look before they walk on the road instead eh? Novel idea for the ACT Govt to consider

Now Quattro RS3 powered
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

get them all off the phones, ipods, etc when theyre crossing the roads. nearly scalped some young kid two streets across from me playing on his phone listening to music. i didn't see him until he stepped out from behind a car to cross. now, i was doing 50, and i'd have killed him if he didn't suddenly stop and look.
id have killed him at 40 too. who's fault would the media say it was? whose fault would it really be....
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Build bridges or tunnels keep them off the road its for cars.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
get them all off the phones, ipods, etc when theyre crossing the roads. nearly scalped some young kid two streets across from me playing on his phone listening to music. i didn't see him until he stepped out from behind a car to cross. now, i was doing 50, and i'd have killed him if he didn't suddenly stop and look.
id have killed him at 40 too. who's fault would the media say it was? whose fault would it really be....

A mate of mine hit some lady in his garbage truck because she was listening to her ipod and couldn't hear the truck coming. before he knew it she'd walked out between cars and he'd hit her.

guess what everyone straight away assumed the truck driver to be at fault even though she appears to have failed to look.

back on topic i was always taught look left look right look left again then if clear cross. dropping the speed limit is only gonna increase risk taking by pedestrians who think he's only doing 40 i'll cross easily untill somebody gets hit. whats next 30?
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Who allowed this to be published?
We should be very quiet about this kind of thing.
Imagine if the Vic or NSW govt saw this story, they'd be all over it like Carson Kressley on a wheelbarrow full of buttholes.
So please everyone, SSShhhhhhhhhh!

Quote: