Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #31
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From this article
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25768C00119D55

"Meantime, direct liquid injection (LPI) continues to be on track for the Falcon “in the latter half of 2010”, said Mr Burela."
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #32
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
Yeah, I know. I heard a rumor that Ford are developing a new Falcon hardtop with a supercharged V8. I won't hold my breath.
This ones the best rumour :

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #33
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
From this article
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25768C00119D55

"Meantime, direct liquid injection (LPI) continues to be on track for the Falcon “in the latter half of 2010”, said Mr Burela."
Cool .. I'll pickup my EGas XR6 end of this year, let Ford iron out the bugs and get service staff used to fixing it, then buy a direct-injected version in three years
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #34
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
Actually the first small car in Australia with a factory LPG option was a Datsun 200B in the late 70's.

Cheers, interesting. A small car on LPG must cost peanuts to get around in.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #35
tommyd
Starter Motor

This 'rumour' is absolute garbage. Every program encounters problems along the way, that's what the definition of 'engineering' is - solving technical problems. The LPI program is alive and well.
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #36
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Little more to the rumour, apparently the engine does not pass emissions testing and the changes needed to get it to pass affects the reliability of engine.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute6
If the figure that they have currently is 215kW.........What would you say.........???????? :voldar02:
They want to detune it, to bring the fuel consuption back, and performance/power back in line with petrol version.....
So how are the LED lamps / Xexons coming alone for FG2??

Lol!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Little more to the rumour, apparently the engine does not pass emissions testing and the changes needed to get it to pass affects the reliability of engine.
I see

So this seems to be a calibration/mixing issue then.

Seems fairly late in the piece to be finding out this sort of thing now though??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #39
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So how would this effect this agreement with Orbital:
http://www.orbeng.com.au/orbital/abo...ews/070509.pdf
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #40
whiskieboy

I'm not taking sides on the "rumour" but we built another handful of LI's this week for the boffins to play with.(yes I work in the engine plant)
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #41
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Sucks if the rumours are true but from past threads I have no reason not to believe WOTDAH.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #42
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Strange. Not that I doubt you, but I understand that LPG is better for emissions. That's why some hi-po cars run straight gas, to pass emissions without spending a bucket.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #43
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
Strange. Not that I doubt you, but I understand that LPG is better for emissions. That's why some hi-po cars run straight gas, to pass emissions without spending a bucket.
Yes ano no. I belive Nox is an issue with gas emissions on later models and this could be the problem here too...

Co and the normal emissions are quite easily done on lpg, however nox is a challenge. perhaps one of the lps sponsors can shed some light and their thoughts?

Cheers

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #44
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some new diesels are using Urea injection to the exhaust to drop NOx emissions, adds $120 to the servicing cost every 20k kms as it has to be refilled. (on CX7s)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #45
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just had a chat with my friend on the inside and he hinted that the issue is not due to reliability or the likes but

it is more the fact that the manifold is nearly freezing they are working on the spacing of the injectors from the manifold

he also mentioned that the reason it is being kept under wraps so heavily is ford don't want to much known as it will hold people back from getting new cars as this new system is kick a$$ and they will loose sales in the interim till they get it right for release

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #46
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Well this thread is really keeping it under wraps isn't it...
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #47
robertjp

Wasn't this one of the problems in the "original" LPi system where the injectors were freezing. Maybe they'll have to install a secondary heating system to keep the temperatures higher.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #48
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Like the old de-icing circuits on carburettors. Motorcycle had regular problems with carbs freezing up in cold climates, thus a coolant circuit was integrated across the fuel bowls.
Old 19-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #49
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
just had a chat with my friend on the inside and he hinted that the issue is not due to reliability or the likes but

it is more the fact that the manifold is nearly freezing they are working on the spacing of the injectors from the manifold

he also mentioned that the reason it is being kept under wraps so heavily is ford don't want to much known as it will hold people back from getting new cars as this new system is kick a$$ and they will loose sales in the interim till they get it right for release

Will the LI I6 have a plastic manifold?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #50
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32

CRICKEY I HOPE NOT . I'VE BLOWN A FEW AIRBOXES AND MUFFLERS IN MY TIME WITH na gas . I'D HATE TO BLOW UP A MANIFOLD AS WELL.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #51
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

This should never happen as the fuel is injected straight into the combustion chamber while the valve is closed.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #52
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

It will not backfire like the old systems

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #53
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

No the old system released the gas in front of the throttle body, so what used to happen on start up the computer would advance the timing as it would crank to make an easier start, so the inlet valve would be slightly open and a spark would come up the intake and ignite the gas at the mixer leaving you with the job of picking plastic out of you left headlight. The old saying of do not dribble fuel down the carbie to start it is basically the same thing, as that is when it is most likely to backfire up the intake.
Old 20-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Sure does. Suprised me as I thought the plastic would go brittle over time due to the cold.

I think they are actually a glass fibre reinforced plastic though, which may help, and also because its injected basically straight into the intake ports it doesn't affect much of the manifold bar the manifold mounting face area that bolts to the head.

Early E Gas BA motors had reliability problems, further R&D resulted in stronger conrods to stop them bending if the engine backfired, which also added another bonus by being able to use the stronger rod in the future XRT and F6.

Further R&D will fix any potential problems the LI engines may have, it just takes a bit of time. Ford also have orbital helping with the R&D. Highly unlikely it will be a big enough problem to cancel it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #55
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

The misinformation and poor guesses in this thread are unreal.

But then again some of them hold some truths.

I hope its not true but I know they have some MASSIVE hurdles to overcome with the Vialle system. Their injection timing is not as good as some other systems so the injection will actually encroach into the period when the inlet valve is actually closed.
That's one thing I know the system has a problem with. It may well be to a detriment of emissions. I don't know.
And it may well be a real issue that their manifolds are freezing due to the configuration of their liquid injectors in the manifold. Again not an issue on other systems.
i don't know I am clutching at straws here. But I do know they have some massive hurdles and I did say VERY early on in the piece that if Ford have this system ready by mid next year I will bear my bum in Burke street.

It is a real shame though. Liquid injection on a OEM Aussie built car would be a real boost for LPG credibility as a whole. But if it doesn't run right it could be disastrous

And its is not DIRECT injection LI. It is port injected.

There is only one company that has a true DIRECT injection LPG system that does not shut of the petrol injectors. And that certainly has nothing to do with this thread.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #56
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I honestly thought that if they were doing true Li the it would be directed straight into the chamber not into the port, but then I suppose this would lead to implications on recasting of the head & then Ford would also do direct petrol as well, so pays not to assume.
Old 20-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It is true Liquid injection, the LPG is injected. If it was direct injection it would be called LDI, as in Liquid Direct Injection.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #58
ChemicalHorizon

My thoughts, the lpg engine is producing too much NO and similar compounds. Fixing it, nfi.
ChemicalHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #59
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Sure does. Suprised me as I thought the plastic would go brittle over time due to the cold.

I think they are actually a glass fibre reinforced plastic though, which may help, and also because its injected basically straight into the intake ports it doesn't affect much of the manifold bar the manifold mounting face area that bolts to the head.

Early E Gas BA motors had reliability problems, further R&D resulted in stronger conrods to stop them bending if the engine backfired, which also added another bonus by being able to use the stronger rod in the future XRT and F6.

Further R&D will fix any potential problems the LI engines may have, it just takes a bit of time. Ford also have orbital helping with the R&D. Highly unlikely it will be a big enough problem to cancel it.
When FG launched, I was very impressed with the new manifold for NA I6. It is "composite" (more than one material bonded together) and I also think it's "glass fibre reinforced plastic". 8kg weight saving in the manifold and 22kg in the alloy front suspension. That's what we need to see.

I'd think heat soak from the engine once warmed would negate bits freezing up, but yeah, that first couple of minutes while the engine is cold :
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post