Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Crazy CS
Starter Motor

Default Best petrol to use?

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2009 Ford Focus CL hatch and was reading the instruction manual, recommended to use 95RON fuel. Does this mean i shouldn't use 91 or E10?

Crazy CS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Can't speak for E10. I've never used it because I read somewhere ages ago that the Duratec HE was not designed to use E10. Can't vouch for its validity though. There have been heaps of reports that the Focus pings on 91 and alot of others have said it pings on 95 as well. I've never run into this issue though. If the manual says 95 then I'd run 95.

I found running 98 didn't have any benefits.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Certainly don't use 91. It is not tuned for it.

I know Ford advises the LR Focus shouldn't use E10...not sure on later models. I'd phone Ford to check.

I've always used the higher octane fuels, on the basis they have traditionally used higher levels of detergency additives which help keep injectors cleaner.

I'm a big BP Ultimate fan
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I had issues when i picked up the car with pinging, but as soon as i put my first tank of 95 in i had no issues. I would avoid e10 though. I use that in my work car and the car runs horrid and has terrible mileage. Ive used 98 a couple of times in the focus on long trips, but cant say ive noticed a diff.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we run our 2007 focus zetec on 91, and it runs with no problems at all.
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
Crazy CS
Starter Motor

Sweet, thanks guys.

Looks like ill be using 95RON from now on

The manual specifically says use a minimum of 95RON Unleaded. Then the next warning box underneath says you can use E10 fine. Weird.
Old 17-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
Ive used 98 a couple of times in the focus on long trips, but cant say ive noticed a diff.

They say when using 98 you will notice a difference after using a few tanks in a row. So you prob won't notice anything in the short term.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
They say when using 98 you will notice a difference after using a few tanks in a row. So you prob won't notice anything in the short term.
That is quiet true - I used it twice in a row (going up the coast from Syd, and then down to Canberra a couple of days later) but I think you're right, if I used it constantly Id notice it more!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy CS
Sweet, thanks guys.

The manual specifically says use a minimum of 95RON Unleaded. Then the next warning box underneath says you can use E10 fine. Weird.
I'm pretty sure that E10 has a RON of 93-95, or around the 95 figure.(Someone may want to explain this furthur). This could be the reason why Ford have said you can use it.

I've used United E10 (they say it's 95RON) in my 2002 Foci as an emergency and it ran fine, had no problems and seemed to idle better.
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
My car doesn't notice the difference.... but my wallet certainly does. That's why I stopped using 98.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be fair, if you are shelling out upwards of $20,000 for a car, why wouldn't you spend a few extra cents on decent fuel.
Old 18-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

I just used std unleaded in the Focus ('05, CL LS) when I first bought the car - No probs.

And I can't remember why I decided to try it on 98 RON, probably something I read on here saying "free horsepower, just change to 98 octane fuel" or something along that line.

Anyway I did try it and the car seemed to run a little better straight away (could have been my imagination).

I have kept using 98 and fuel economy has definitely improved as has acceleration. Most notable 40 – 80, or 60 – 100, that sort of thing.

I’ll give it a burl using 95 over the next few weeks and see if there is any difference.

Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
alky89

the bastard zetec needs 95 anyway and 98 is only a few more cents. if im going to the track i'll definitely use 98. i've been suckered in hard by bp ultimate's promise of a cleaner, more powerful engine so i like using that.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alky89
the bastard zetec needs 95 anyway and 98 is only a few more cents. if im going to the track i'll definitely use 98. i've been suckered in hard by bp ultimate's promise of a cleaner, more powerful engine so i like using that.
there was a thread on this in the turbo falcon section of forum I think it was, and much information was pawed through by geckogt iirc and it revealed that 95 and 98 do the same things in terms of engine cleaning and the like, 98 is clearly higher octane but its so marginal I believe for the increased cost over 95 its not justified - they push the 98 harder with more advertising jargon and spin as I believe the profit margin is higher on this fuel than the 95 imho using 95 octane instead of 98 will show zero difference - in my XR6T I noticed no difference switching between 98 and 95 except for the cost to fill it up - so I use 95.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The '08 definately runs better on 98R.

I find E10, standard 91R run fine, but have flat spots top end.

I've not noticed a difference using 95R, only the 98R.

Depends whats in the kitty. Definately runs better on 98R!!
Old 18-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy CS
Sweet, thanks guys.

yeah that's right. octane and ethanol are separate things.

some brands' E10 is only 91 octaine but others are 95 so as long as the octane is high enough it doesn't really matter if it's got ethanol or not

fairly sure that when shell v-power racing was still around with 101 octane it had up to 10% ethanol. same goes for one of the other independents, that offered 101 octane fuel that was E10.
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #17
Crazy CS
Starter Motor

ah fair enough... learn't a lot about petrol in the last few days.
Old 19-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #18
BlackLS
yum

The LS manual tells that 91 and E10 is fine... Seems like they've revised that for the LT manual.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We own a LT TDCI and a CL LS petrol 5 speed. When we bought the CL I rang Ford and they confirmed it would take 91E10. When I used to drive it on mainly freeway on E10 91 it gave 6.6 litres per 100kms. Now my wife drives it still on E10 91 and it gives 8.6 litres per 100kms on metropolitan running.
At times the LS engine has pinked so we would run 98 or 95 for a while which cured it as did the ususal 15000 km service. Petrol quality varies so the pinking never bothered me.

The TDCI driven on mainly freeway work gives 5.4 litres per 100kms.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post