Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
With the greatest of respect I used to be just like you and unless governments
drop the hammer and force people to do different things nothing will change.

How much do you really need your car in the city or is it just more convenient?

Unless you use your vehicle for commerce I see no reason to take it all the way in,
you could park and ride 5-10 km out. I agree it would take a huge increase in
public transport budget because Brisbane is still very ordinary in that regard.
well there is always the safety thing, how many bashings, assaults, robberies ,stabbings occur in broad daylight, i`ll give you the answer, plenty, would you want your daughter or your son travelling by public transport, not this bloke, its a different world out there to what it was 40 years ago, not too mention lack of comfort in public transport, have you noticed all the new trams ,trains have less seats so they squeeze more sardines in the carriges....standing room only!, if QLD public transport is anything like Melb`s there probably no functioning air conditioning.

Last edited by mik; 14-02-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: i forgot stabbings.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm58
Are you for real these people have bought their cars with their own money paid for their licence and rego and you agree with them being told that they can't drive them to work or anywhere else in the city they choose
Yes.
For the good of our cities, the politicians should say enough.

But they won't, so you and your mates will spend longer and longer in traffic waiting to get to work.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
well there is always the safety thing, how many bashings, assaults, robberies , occur in broad daylight, i`ll give you the answer, plenty, would you want your daughter or youn son travelling by public transport, not this bloke, its a different world out there to what it was 40 years ago, not too mention lack of comfort in public transport, have you noticed all the new trams ,trains have less seats so they squeeze more sardines in the carriges....standing room only!, if QLD public transport is anything like Melb`s there probably no functioning air conditioning.
Like I said there are big problems with public transport and under funding.
I doubt that security problems occur in peak hour rush - that's when I'm talking about.
Old 15-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In any regard, when has any politician rushed to fix a transport problem that costs billions to cure?

Right, they'll leave it to the next one and the next one after that. I can almost guarantee you
that our grand children will be complaining about transport and getting to work....
No one will make the hard call, they all love their fat cat jobs too much to rile the electorate.

Newman is an ex-army engineer who wants to be remembered as a builder like Clem Jones
but in reality he is a pale impersonator of that great, former Lord Mayor.
Old 15-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #35
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IIRC, there was also talk of a congestion tax to be imposed on people driving into the city. Similar to a system in London I believe. Maybe this talk is all about into easing into yet another tax.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Like I said there are big problems with public transport and under funding.
I doubt that security problems occur in peak hour rush - that's when I'm talking about.
you don`t use public transport i think.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #37
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
IIRC, there was also talk of a congestion tax to be imposed on people driving into the city. Similar to a system in London I believe. Maybe this talk is all about into easing into yet another tax.
That was first flagged by former Lord Mayor Jim Soorley but not supported by the current administration. I do know Newman is not anti car, I know he loves his V8 Jeep.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #38
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if QLD public transport is anything like Melb`s there probably no functioning air conditioning.
If we're talking rail, then the whole train doesnt work
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post