Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #31
fg_nitro

http://www.stihl.com.au/Products/pro...m?iModelID=425

That might help !!
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #32
Gaz
Got Ghia?

I don't see the issue, if you don't pay a fine, then you don't deserve the privilege of driving. Because it is just that.

Do the crime do the time (or pay the fine).

However there should be safeguards, after the fine is overdue you are contacted and have 30 days to pay before clamping starts Use registered post if need be, no 'oh I didn't get the fine' crap.

Have fun if you cut it off, that's then criminal damage - the fine would have been much cheaper.

I don't like private companies (IE Wilson and others) that clamp - in those cases I would remove it myself and change my license plate, thats cheaper than their fines ;) This is different that offences against the law, not crappy parking companies that have a history of shoddy bs fines and activities.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #33
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Oh Sorry... seems like everything you say is a joke!!
I dare say it's a conspiracy :
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #34
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done. another way to clog up our already overflowing court system
Old 21-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #35
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I personally like the idea. I think this should be in every state. As for all the secenarios that people are saying what if? I cannot think of any scenario other than someone stealing your number plate that it could be unjustly used.

I mean think about it. This is not going to be get fined and it goes straight on your car, it will be months down the track after you have had lots of chances to do the right thing and deal with it. Which means you would have had letters upon letters upon letters letting you know of the outstanding monies. Now for those people that say "oh what I forget to change my address when I moved and did not get these letters? " My answer to that is simple, if you have failed to change your address with the relevant authority within 28 days of moving, it is yet another offence you have committed and should have another fine for failing to do so on top of the outstanding fines you already have.

What about borrowing peoples cars or other drivers, once again if you cannot trust that person to do the right thing and let you know, DO NOT ALLOW others to use your vehicle.

It's simple pay your fines and wheel clamping will never be your issue to deal with.
Old 21-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #36
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddyxe51
I was thinking more of a 9" petrol grinder.
Husqvarna and Stihl power cutters do a damn good job!
Old 21-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #37
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I personally like the idea. I think this should be in every state. As for all the secenarios that people are saying what if? I cannot think of any scenario other than someone stealing your number plate that it could be unjustly used.

I mean think about it. This is not going to be get fined and it goes straight on your car, it will be months down the track after you have had lots of chances to do the right thing and deal with it. Which means you would have had letters upon letters upon letters letting you know of the outstanding monies. Now for those people that say "oh what I forget to change my address when I moved and did not get these letters? " My answer to that is simple, if you have failed to change your address with the relevant authority within 28 days of moving, it is yet another offence you have committed and should have another fine for failing to do so on top of the outstanding fines you already have.

What about borrowing peoples cars or other drivers, once again if you cannot trust that person to do the right thing and let you know, DO NOT ALLOW others to use your vehicle.

It's simple pay your fines and wheel clamping will never be your issue to deal with.
Agreed.

I wonder how long it takes people to 'remember' to cough up the cash when their car is sitting in a holding yard clamped?

We have a few threads on the behaviour of children / young adults against authority yet we have adults here beating their chests saying God help anyone who tried clamping their own cars or ways of outsmarting the clamps should they get them (even though you will only get clamped if you break the law).

Tell me, what do you feel like doing to a person who owes you money, and has been avoiding your continuous requests for payment etc?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #38
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not about "coughing up the cash" damnit there are many reasons that people don't pay but that is not the issue here - it is a removal of someones' property that is likely worth far far more than the fine amount - no I do not go and take someones' car when they owe me money because that is going too far fullstop. Also you don't see financial institutions running around taking and holding cars in lieu of payment. TRUST ME there are hundreds of options for them to recoup their monies without using wheel clamps.

Also I feel that its not just the "unlicenced unroadworthy lawbreakers" that will be clamped as others will be unjustly caught in the crossfire and if introduced and accepted by the community at large then their use which may be all well meaning and just to get the community to accept them will ramp up and they will be used for anything and everything. Park incorrectly and get clamped in some countries (UK) imho the ends don't justify the means clamping the car will mean it will be there longer illegally parked. It happens all the time they push their barrow to get a change and the community at large accepts it then all of a sudden the reasons for their acceptance get lost as the authorities twist and push the change to the limit to enforce their will (in the case of motorists it is to reap money) this will lead to clamping for smaller and smaller fines and then to clamping for parking too long and it will snowball on and on. I can see no good from the use of wheel clamps at all there are other less publicly humiliating and covert ways to recover money why they are choosing wheel clamps can only lead to bad things for motorists.

some examples of money recovering methods that cost the tax payers as a whole very little

1. garnish tax returns/welfare benefits till fine is paid (of offender)
2. bump up price of registration to fine holder to cover fine (of offender)
3. don't re-issue licenses (any of them) until fine is paid (to offender)

I fail to see when these options are open to them any reason to introduce wheel clamps unless they are heading somewhere sinister :Up_to_som

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #39
Wally
XP Coupe

Perhaps the reason the fines aren't paid is because the penalty was too high in the first instance.

We can't escape the fact there are many many people out there who aren't the brightest jewel in the crown; they are usually the ones who have small incomes and more liable to bend the rules for survival and entertainment. Push hard enough and chances are someone in the neighbourhood is going to be burgaled or violently robbed so that cash converters can make a "loan" to pay the fine.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #40
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Perhaps the reason the fines aren't paid is because the penalty was too high in the first instance.

We can't escape the fact there are many many people out there who aren't the brightest jewel in the crown; they are usually the ones who have small incomes and more liable to bend the rules for survival and entertainment. Push hard enough and chances are someone in the neighbourhood is going to be burgaled or violently robbed so that cash converters can make a "loan" to pay the fine.
Phwew!!! I feel a whole lot better now knowing that the people getting their wheels clamped are everyday battlers like me and there may be a reason that my house gets burgled so they don't have to abide by the same rules as every body else!! give me a break!!
Old 21-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #41
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
its not about "coughing up the cash" damnit there are many reasons that people don't pay but that is not the issue here - it is a removal of someones' property that is likely worth far far more than the fine amount - no I do not go and take someones' car when they owe me money because that is going too far fullstop. Also you don't see financial institutions running around taking and holding cars in lieu of payment. TRUST ME there are hundreds of options for them to recoup their monies without using wheel clamps.

Also I feel that its not just the "unlicenced unroadworthy lawbreakers" that will be clamped as others will be unjustly caught in the crossfire and if introduced and accepted by the community at large then their use which may be all well meaning and just to get the community to accept them will ramp up and they will be used for anything and everything. Park incorrectly and get clamped in some countries (UK) imho the ends don't justify the means clamping the car will mean it will be there longer illegally parked. It happens all the time they push their barrow to get a change and the community at large accepts it then all of a sudden the reasons for their acceptance get lost as the authorities twist and push the change to the limit to enforce their will (in the case of motorists it is to reap money) this will lead to clamping for smaller and smaller fines and then to clamping for parking too long and it will snowball on and on. I can see no good from the use of wheel clamps at all there are other less publicly humiliating and covert ways to recover money why they are choosing wheel clamps can only lead to bad things for motorists.

some examples of money recovering methods that cost the tax payers as a whole very little

I fail to see when these options are open to them any reason to introduce wheel clamps unless they are heading somewhere sinister :Up_to_som
If it's not about coughing up cash, what's it about? Also "you don't see financial institutions running around taking and holding cars in lieu of payment. TRUST ME there are hundreds of options for them to recoup their monies without using wheel clamps."
Never here of a bank or finance company repossesing a vehicle 'cause the payments have not been made??

All 3 of your brainstorms for recovering money would take at least 6 months(depending on wether you paid rego on a 1/2 yearly basis or not).It's akin to me saying "hey, you broke the law, but never mind I'm going to let you decide how you would like to be punished", Oh thank you, can I just put it on my rego when it's due, I should be a little more financial by that time, and I may have also worked out another scam to stall you for another 6 months!!
Old 21-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #42
Wally
XP Coupe

Right on cue Zdco. You know the message I was conveying, but the opportunity to demonstrate feigned indignation just doesn't come along that often does it. I'm sure we all were so poor we had to carry the horse to school. Some people aren't as bright as you and don't rise to the occasson.

Perhaps you take a Monday morning off and attend the courts to see the types who are being pinged with fines they obviously have no capacity to pay. Many of them are recidivists.

If you were from the burglarly capital of the world, the one where pensioners live in caged houses for fear of violence you would know that punitive rules do not apply to thugs. Last time I heard form my father in law the plague that started in Perth has now spread all the way to the hamlets dotting the southern coast. Things are going swimmingly well with over governance and draconian thinking over there aren't they.
Old 21-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #43
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
Which one of these stops the person from driving their car around unlicensed?

Don't people with outstanding fines already have there tax returns garnished or am i thinking about something else?

Is it about recovering money or stopping these ************** from driving around?

And yes, before anyone jumps in, i know a jerk with a clamped car can always borrow, buy or steal another but its still a better option than all those.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #44
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Actions speak louder than words (and generally get the desired results)... if they didn't, The Godfather, Sopranos Underbelly etc etc will be a right bore to watch now won't they :
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #45
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Right on cue Zdco. You know the message I was conveying, but the opportunity to demonstrate feigned indignation just doesn't come along that often does it. I'm sure we all were so poor we had to carry the horse to school. Some people aren't as bright as you and don't rise to the occasson.

Perhaps you take a Monday morning off and attend the courts to see the types who are being pinged with fines they obviously have no capacity to pay. Many of them are recidivists.

If you were from the burglarly capital of the world, the one where pensioners live in caged houses for fear of violence you would know that punitive rules do not apply to thugs. Last time I heard form my father in law the plague that started in Perth has now spread all the way to the hamlets dotting the southern coast. Things are going swimmingly well with over governance and draconian thinking over there aren't they.
I wonder if they are not recidivists because maybe they choose to be ??
If I choose to use ACA TV show as an analogy,(please don't accuse me of being a supporter or viewer), but I always love the couple who have been screwed by the system, and can't afford to "pay the bills, pay the fine ,we was robbed, cry cry cry," whilst they're sucking back $20 a pop packs of winny blues and patting the 40kg rotti (that eats his own body weight of food per week)
I understand the courts being full on a Monday morning(used to pass one every monday on the way to work).And yes, did take the time to understand why(PM for more info).
As for carrying the horse to school,figurativley speaking ,yesI did carry the horse to school, and I will never! be accused of feigning indignation!! Indignation is not to be feigned!
Old 21-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #46
Wally
XP Coupe

Good so you know the dropkicks I'm talking about. Fortunately at least QLD has a fairly well run SPER program, where the fine can be paid directly from the dole in fortnightly deductions.

I think govt has to be careful they don't become too staunch. They will always get vocal cudos and pooh poohs from the Mr. Bumbles in life, but many of us prefer a Mr Brownlow making the decisions.