Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #91
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
They certainly don't like HSV.

F6 ~$2500.
GTS ~$6500.
R8 ~$5800.
Possibly a reason for this one though - the rear ends on HSV's are hideously expensive to repair if one gets rear ended because theyre not just standard commodore parts - they are bloody dear. That could have something to do with it?

I am still yet to deal with an insurer I actually like - NRMA are scum and can get stuffed, they will never get my business again after telling me that one of my previous cars was not allowed to have 17" FACTORY wheels yet the exact same model with the next year on the compliance plate could (even though there were no changes to it and that was confirmed by Ford). I have my XR8 (and have had my previous one) insured with Shannons and they are the best that Ive dealt with, the CTP is with GIO on both my cars but I still wouldn't say that I am at a point where I would 'stick' with either company. Its just because they come out in front each year that I am with them - by no means is it, nor will it ever be, a loyalty thing.
Old 25-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #92
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

To the person who couldn't obtain third party insurance because their car was modified and used for business use ... Just Car Insurance should cover that for you ... my uncle's car is the same, and they fully insure him (5-6 mods and full comp on an XR8 Ute used for work).

The key with insurance companies is to find the one that best suits your needs.

E.G - the "car club" insurers - NRMA, RACV, RACQ etc. - are generally aimed at Rating 1, 20+ year drivers with standard 4 or 6cyl Australian delivered cars. They do not aim to capture any market outside of that. As a result, they can offer many benefits that other insurers don't.

A company like AAMI attempts to make service it's point of differentiation, and it's market is spread a little broader, but attempts to capture those who value customer service.

A company like Shannons, Just Car Insurance etc. targets a much different market again. They are not competing for the stock XT Falcon, 45 year old male in a safe suburb market.
As a result they lack many of the benefits of other companies but make up for it with features like covering unlimited modifications, agreed value, choice of repairer, insuring high performance cars for young people, covering classic cars.

Find the insurer that best fits your profile and your needs, and chances are they will give you the best deal. If total cover (hire cars, free windscreens, choice of repairer, emergency assistance etc.) is what you are after then target your shopping around to such companies.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #93
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Possibly a reason for this one though - the rear ends on HSV's are hideously expensive to repair if one gets rear ended because theyre not just standard commodore parts - they are bloody dear. That could have something to do with it?

I am still yet to deal with an insurer I actually like - NRMA are scum and can get stuffed, they will never get my business again after telling me that one of my previous cars was not allowed to have 17" FACTORY wheels yet the exact same model with the next year on the compliance plate could (even though there were no changes to it and that was confirmed by Ford). I have my XR8 (and have had my previous one) insured with Shannons and they are the best that Ive dealt with, the CTP is with GIO on both my cars but I still wouldn't say that I am at a point where I would 'stick' with either company. Its just because they come out in front each year that I am with them - by no means is it, nor will it ever be, a loyalty thing.
Halfway through that first sentence I thought you were going to go in a different direction..

I had my XW GT insured with them ~15 years ago and wanted to up my agreed value, took it in for an inspection and they said that they can't insure the car because the (factory) wheels were too big and I had to change them if I wanted it insured. :

I instantly called Shannons and cancelled my 3 policies on the spot. I'm a little more tolerant these days, I probably would have just cancelled the XW and kept the other two..

I'm back with NRMA now as they have offered competitive insurance for my vehicles the last 8 years but it looks like there are much cheaper options for the potential next vehicles that I'm currently considering. I'm sort of loyal (lazy) in that I would stay with NRMA if it cost a couple of hundred bucks extra to insure with them but at the moment it's looking to be a couple of thousand bucks and I'm afraid I'm not that lazy..
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #94
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's you reason why the increase. 8125% profit. We are in the wrong business.

http://www.news.com.au/business/fine...-1225834602126
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #95
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked

Now watch the CEO and his cronies give themselves wopping bonuses. But keep premiums at their present level.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #96
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked

Absolutely.

Hopefully the media attention will ensure they now suffer a 8125% profit decrease over the next quarter. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but under those circumstances, I'd be thinking the best way to keep my customer base happy would be to take a reasonable size portion of that profit and cut each customer a nice cheque. Nothing says I love you more than free money.
Old 26-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #97
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
Now watch the CEO and his cronies give themselves wopping bonuses. But keep premiums at their present level.
Ah, yes. The cynical eye of the private sector. You forgot the payrise as well..

The company I work for made compulsory salary cuts in the US, voluntary salary cuts here (thankyou labour laws) but the big wigs took an extra 5% base salary pay cut. Those kind hearted souls.

The CFO's base salary is reportedly $500,000. His bonus last year was in excess of $30mill. His bonus this year I'm sure will dwarf that since we exceeded profits by a massive margin in a financial crisis. Did they bring the salaries of us pleb workers up? Nope.
Old 26-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #98
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Absolutely.

Hopefully the media attention will ensure they now suffer a 8125% profit decrease over the next quarter. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but under those circumstances, I'd be thinking the best way to keep my customer base happy would be to take a reasonable size portion of that profit and cut each customer a nice cheque. Nothing says I love you more than free money.
yeah thats pretty insane . i dont understand all this corperate fraud going on in australia all the time.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #99
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Jus out of curiosity, when you rang the NRMA did you ask to see if you had been changed to the new 2yr fixed car insurance deal. The NRMA is guarenteeing that it has the same fixed price for your car insurance for 2 years. So might be worth just reading it and maybe giving them a call again just to check. they are going to start running the ads for this shortly.

I know as i work and run the NRMA in ivanhoe NSW.
Old 26-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #100
TREAY81
XXXR8TED

I wont insure other than 3rd party. I have currently 4 cars and one bike none insured.

My insurance comes in the form of cautious driving, careful parking, GPS Tracker alarms and three dogs in the yard.

I have a pure hatred against insurance companies for all the shifty rip off deals they have done too many times over.

Sooner or later they will be regulated surely
Old 26-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #101
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Brave man

Nah, I would use other words to describe that situation
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post