Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #121
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Whose supporting an illegal act? :

I'm not supporting the consequences.
It was a generalised comment for some here, not particularly you, seems you missed that so I apologise. My quote of you ended with the comments on him losing his car.

Last edited by geckoGT; 09-03-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #122
Wally
XP Coupe

What's going on here! Some numbskull in a Cefiros does a burnout in a busy street and members here being pinged and abused for having differing opinions, many of them tongue in cheek.

Who decided that anyone with an interest in cars automatically belongs to a brotherhood of behaviour? The police aren't so stupid as to know what this guy was about. You would have to draw a long bow in associating Ford Forums with a Jap import and similarly red rag posts with increased anti hooning laws.

Surely an honest robust debate is better than shutting down or shouting down on topic comments that may not be popular. Observers know AFF promotes safe driving, it's moderators don't need to bring a gun to a fist fight at the first sign of decent.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #123
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I was a generalised comment for some here, not particularly you, seems you missed that so I apologise. My quote of you ended with the comments on him losing his car.
Fair enough, sorry I missed it, makes sense now! Cheers
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #124
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
What's going on here! Some numbskull in a Cefiros does a burnout in a busy street and members here being pinged and abused for having differing opinions, many of them tongue in cheek.

Who decided that anyone with an interest in cars automatically belongs to a brotherhood of behaviour? The police aren't so stupid as to know what this guy was about. You would have to draw a long bow in associating Ford Forums with a Jap import and similarly red rag posts with increased anti hooning laws.

Surely an honest robust debate is better than shutting down or shouting down on topic comments that may not be popular. Observers know AFF promotes safe driving, it's moderators don't need to bring a gun to a fist fight at the first sign of decent.
A lot of what you are referring to was some members supporting his actions and telling the rest of us that we are wowsers and zealots because we don't. That is all.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #125
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the footage last night, I thought that the crowd reaction was just as disturbing as the stupid behaviour itself......all the whooping, yelling and laughing. It could have been any one of 50 people in the immediate vicinity in that driver's seat.

Granted, the guy didn't kill anyone. Not this time, but as GeckoGT alludes to, what about next time, and the next after that? Its a behaviour thing. He's there impressing himself, and trying to impress the crowd. The bogans yell their appreciation and fist-pump the air. The driver just laps it all up. If a couple of good looking birds give him a glance due to the mahem, then better still. Mission accomplished. That's the mentality.

Sooner or later, he'll be going a bit quicker, or the surface will be wet, or the camber of the road different, and then it'll be the ambos and fireys who have to clean up the mess and everyone will be asking why it happened.

Wouldn't have mattered if there was a sanctioned race track 500 metres down the road. He wouldn't have attracted the attention of the punters on the track, so it wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #126
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

OK having a read here I really really feel sorry for most of the PC brigade...look and taking note of your posts about WHAT IF...

You must never travel on a plane... - What if it crashes..
You must never have se>< with your partners - What IF she gets pregnant/ he/she catches AIDS.
I am surprised you post on the internet cause what IF you got a virus.

No one died, No one was injured, it was a decent patch that was ripped and in the end quite funny with the police car being a moron as well... do I condone it NO....but I dont think the bloke deserves his car crushed, and I certainly dont think he deserves jail time...yeah 3 years or 5 years jail for ripping a patch...you get less for manslaugher these days...everyone is on this high horse about hoons this hoons that...dam in Vic if you travel 3km's over the limit people in the community these days want you drawn and quartered. Get over it and yourselves just a little...stop with the WHAT IF BS...the FACT is it didnt happen...

Craig
Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #127
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The question is:

Would this DH have done this act if he had access to a Drag Strip or track?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #128
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
The question is:

Probably.
I remember a friend telling me about a guy who was going to do some hektic street racing when he gets his p's. My friend said why don't you just go to the strip and he replied "off streets for pussies" or something along those lines. :
Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #129
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
The question is:

Yes, because he's a DH and cares nothing about the law or the safety of other people.
People who are SELF-responsible will not behave like this on the road in public regardless of whether facilities are available or not.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #130
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
As for JC your forum location is only missing the word half.
GT450

Another senseless contribution.
It amazes me how a group on here can easily get away with saying what ever they wish with little comment or belittling from others, yet others cannot repeat the same comments without being tortured or belittled.

Must be all about the car one drives.

Truely amazing!

Last edited by J.C.; 09-03-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #131
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MYVYSS,

I understand where you're coming from, but I think a bit of context is required here. I don't believe that all those here on AFF having a go at the guy are claiming that they've never done anything wrong themselves. Hell, there's probably not too many of us who haven't done a few clicks over the limit on a good road, or given it a bit of stick from time to time. That's not really the issue. IMO, its a bit more of the old "time and place" issue that requires some tact and judgment, of which this guy showed none.

I'll explain......A few clicks over the limit on a quiet country road on a dry, sunny day with no other vehicles around, and nothing on the side of the road except grass is still technically speeding, and yes, you'll be banished to hell for it according to the lawmakers. Campare that to say, speeding at night, in the wet, down a suburban road with countless other cars around, pedestrians, and a road lined with buildings and people. Technically, its the same offence (i.e. exceeding the speed limit), but I know which one deserves more criticism. I also know which one grabs the news headlines, and which one also attracts the ire of all those car haters out there. As with many things in life, there's a time and a place to do things, and a time and place not to. Its this seemingly basic mental skill that evades a growing amount of people.

IMO, people are jumping on this guy not solely for what he did (a slow speed burnout), but for the attitude that goes with it....arrogance, over-confidence, no respect for the law, and a mindset that typically means he wouldn't worry about doing other far more dangerous acts. Not to mind any thought for others who just want to enjoy the evening without listening to a piece of rubbish bouncing off the limiter in putrid cloud of cheap tyre smoke.

Its an attitude and behaviour thing for me, as much as the act itself.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #132
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent

IMO, people are jumping on this guy not solely for what he did (a slow speed burnout), but for the attitude that goes with it....arrogance, over-confidence, no respect for the law, and a mindset that typically means he wouldn't worry about doing other far more dangerous acts. Not to mind any thought for others who just want to enjoy the evening without listening to a piece of rubbish bouncing off the limiter in putrid cloud of cheap tyre smoke.

Its an attitude and behaviour thing for me, as much as the act itself.
good post, and on topic too
Depending on the condition of his tyres before the skid, there could have been more than just smoke coming from them. "would you like a steel belt or chunk of rubber to your face, with your coffee sir?"
I know it's back to the 'what if' thing, but there's also mechanical failure to take into consideration, not just the drivers ability to keep the car straight, on a densely populated street..
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #133
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Great stuff here from quite a few ......

Just to reiterate, we all have done silly things, but where and for what reason is the difference.

For those that think he turned himself in because he is a good bloke ..... he did after his face and car was plastered on ACA ..... not before.

For the others that think he is a top bloke ..... just remeber he made it damn harder for you to modify or own a high powered car. Remember that when you are at Macca's on a Friday night with your mates.

Just another nail in the coffin for the car enthusiest.

Thread closed ..... not because of the differing opinions ..... because of the mud being slung by grown ups. (Insert question mark here)

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #134
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I know you locked this one Dave but we all like a happy ending.

Closed Thread