Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
aarcai0705
Starter Motor

Default South Australian buying a used car in Victoria

Hi everyone,

Looking at becoming a proud owner of a G6E Turbo, seeing as a fair few of you on here talk about them like its the second coming! However most of the cars I look at are generally better priced in places like VIC and NSW. Being from SA, what's the best approach to get a car over here?

Cheers
Azz

aarcai0705 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Go to maugham(sp) thiem ford on port road, they are probably one of the top dealerships, and come highly recommended.
Goodluck with the hunt and well done for picking such a good car!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
aarcai0705
Starter Motor

Bought the EL from there back in 2003! And just recently had a G6ET as well which I kept eyeing off but wasn't quite there financially. Peter Kittle had one sitting around for a while too for $40,888. An '08 model with 31,000k's on the clock. Seemed quite cheap. Driven by CEO of Malalla council

Current Ride:
1997 Mitsu Mirage CE with 200,000kms and still going strong!

Future Ride:
2009/2010 Ford G6E Turbo (Can't wait to get back in a blue oval)
Old 14-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to the SA dealers with the VIC prices. Add on the cost of a one way flight over there and there is your bargaining tool.
Old 15-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
kit351
Starter Motor

I'd probably fly over and drive back. You could try a car carrier joint like Camerons or Tolls and see how much they'll charge to bring it over.
kit351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
aarcai0705
Starter Motor

Well that's what I was going to do... But from a registration point of view is it worth registering it in the other state then transferring it later? Or is there a way of being able to get a permit to drive it back?

Current Ride:
1997 Mitsu Mirage CE with 200,000kms and still going strong!

Future Ride:
2009/2010 Ford G6E Turbo (Can't wait to get back in a blue oval)
Old 15-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
dreadin86
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcai0705
Well that's what I was going to do... But from a registration point of view is it worth registering it in the other state then transferring it later? Or is there a way of being able to get a permit to drive it back?
Hey mate, im from adelaide and i bought my BA XR8 ute from a Wights motor world dealer out in country victoria last year. Cost me $59 to fly over there, an i was lucky enough that they arranged to pick me up from the airport once i landed. Once i went over the car n payed for it, they printed up a permit which gives u roughly 48 hours to drive your car back un-registered to South australia.
Once u get back in sa u have to take your car thru a plates n number identification place at regency. Just beware that they go over your car like a mini defect station! I got done for being too low, so i had to get that corrected before i could get the all clear to register my ute in sa.

Hope this helps

Coming soon: Kaaz diff w/ 4.11 gears - Pursuit pod gauges ( oil pressure&volts)
dreadin86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Gaz
Got Ghia?

make sure you get the cash back for cancelling the rego and not the dealer
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

As above, some states you can get the car rego'd in your name, Vic no. Have them strip the rego, GET THE CREDIT FOR IT in your purchase price, and pay to dollars (stuff all) for a permit (dealer will arrange, even on weekends) to drive it back. They'll remove the plates but thats fine, I drove a Ka back two months ago plateless and noone batted a eyelid.

Then here its off to Regency ....

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
prydey
Rob

you don't have to cancel the rego if it has vic reg on it. not until after you transfer it to s.a. reg anyway.

a lot of vic people/dealers cancel it on you because they then get refunded for the remaining rego.

I.D check is about $21 at regency and there is also a place at lonsdale that does it on wed and thurs. i'll be there on thursday. just drove a focus back from n.s.w.! i've bought a falcon from vic, focus and falcon from nsw, and falcon and tarago from qld. not all for me. i've never used a carrier, i just fly to where the car is and drive it back.

regency don't put the car over the pits. its not a roadworthy. they will pick on obvious things like tint and ride height but thats it. all they do is make sure the numbers all match and its not stolen or rebirthed.

once you get the I.D check done, you take that round to motor reg, and there you pay for new rego (as well as stamp duty etc). the old rego is cancelled. they should give you a receipt (maybe when you hand in old plates). then send this off to vic rego for a refund of remaining rego, minus any admin fees.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a xe in vic 18 months ago and drove it home. I let the reg lapse and wrote a letter to vicroads informing them that it would no longer be reg'd in vic and sent the plates back to them - no issues.

Took the vic reg papers to servicesa and rego'd the car on the spot. Didnt get asked to do regency, drove the car round happily for six months before the rebuild.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Prydey I understand your point about rego refunds but you can play that game in keeping your interstate status until the deal is near struck. Saves them providing RWC also.

Do you know where that leaves you in a legal sense though? The owner/dealer needs to lodge disposal within 14 days, and Victorian registration isnt transferable to a interstate licensed driver far as I know....?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

i'm not sure what you are getting at. the interstate rego is cancelled when you apply for s.a. rego.

rwc's are also worthless in s.a. they don't care if the car has one or not.

i have bought cars in qld, nsw and vic and in all instances they had rego on them. i believe you have a 14 day period to tansfer the cars into your name, but i always get it done at the earliest opportunity. plates are handed in and receipt sent to relevant interstate office. on all occasions i received a refund of whatever rego was left on the vehicle minus any admin fees.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post