Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #91
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
the NRL is going just fine, its the teams that are suffering because of the tiny crowds, it really is a shame when you watch old footage of the huge crowds the saturday afternoon games used to attract from the 50s through to the late 80s
But if the teams can't afford to put a team on the paddock, then the NRL will be the one that suffers. I believe very few of them actually run in the black, remove the salary cap and most teams have no hope of being able to afford a team.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #92
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
apparently the afl draft system is illegal, but most teams are happy with it so no one challenges it. was brought up on the nrl footy show after the storm fiasco.

anyone elaborate?
Its meant to be discriminatory, but cant really remember why. But they allow it cause its the fairest system for the sport.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #93
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
But if the teams can't afford to put a team on the paddock, then the NRL will be the one that suffers. I believe very few of them actually run in the black, remove the salary cap and most teams have no hope of being able to afford a team.
i agree 100%, just try getting the NRL powerbrokers to understand
Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #94
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Speculation on Greg Inglis now -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...9/default.aspx
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #95
rodderz

Would NRL crowd figures go up if they scrapped Monday night footy? They tried it a few times in AFL and numbers were'nt really that high.

Maybe the live games on foxtel stop a few as well
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #96
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
that would be great for the sport - anyone heard of tom williams, grew up playing rubgy, we drafted him. he is great when he doesn't have the ball. we just hope he never gets it
just one player of course and not a top line one at that, but the two forms of the game are totally different and require many different principles

Daniel Merret is still on a Rugby League scholarship I've heard and Brennan played League for the NT. Also Sydney have a player who has the son of a St.George great.

QAFL has been robbing the ranks of youth football in Queensland for some time. The defections are only going to make it worse.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #97
jaysway

Both K and Issy would have more respect from the RL public if they stopped saying it was for the challenge and not for the money. Please, they would both be playing League or Overseas if it wasn't for 1m and 1.5m a year being thrown at them to stay in their home country.
I say good on them for taking the money as they will both be back playing League or union after these contracts are over, but stop trying to bs everyone thats its not for the money.
jaysway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #98
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Karmichael Hunt injured a hamstring today...
Low-grade.
Before, he had kicked 2 goals and applied 7 tackles.

Showed a bit, but it didn't last...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #99
rodderz

I watched the VFL game on ABC today to see Gold Coast play Coburg, Hunt does show some promise but I think he's found out just how fit you have to be to play AFL.

A few of the young Gold coast fellas are going to be good players, one guy kicked a goal from 75m out
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #100
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Its meant to be discriminatory, but cant really remember why. But they allow it cause its the fairest system for the sport.
If an AFL player chose to challenge the draft system under 'restraint of trade' then they would win. The AFL Players Association has chosen NOT to pursue this path for the good of the game. Therefore the AFL has a Salary Cap system (with a fair amount of flexibility) and a Draft to help balance out player talent.
The NRL Players Association will NOT support a Draft (in fact they have successfully challenged in court) and so the NRL is left with a rigid Salary Cap system.
Faced with the pressure from English RL, Rugby Union & now the AFL on player payments, the only option for the NRL is to increase the Salary Cap; which will result in teams going under and then lower TV revenue and an overall downward spiral.
The NRL is the most unprofessional or most entertaining (depending on your view; personally mine is that NRL looks more & more like the WWE) run sport in the country. Too many ex-players in admin, too many old boys, not enough professionals.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post