Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
valdon1985
Starter Motor

Default Reverse Park Sensors

Hi All, A question regarding the reverse park sensor system that is factory fitted (not dealer fitted) to Falcons and does not have the visual display in the dash, only audible warning from the rear parcel shelf. At what distance away does it first beep when approaching an obstacle. Cheers....... Gordon.

valdon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Welcome to AFF Gordon.

Never measured it accurately but its about a metre. Far enough so that when I am waiting for cars to pass when reversing out, it generally emits a beep as the car passes.

Why do you ask?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
valdon1985
Starter Motor

Howdy, Thanks for the response. I’m asking because I have fitted the Bosch Parkpilot URF7 reverse park kit to my car and find that it starts its audible warning from 670mm. It does have visual warning as in LEDs that light up on the rear parcel shelf from 1200mm but when I’m reversing I like to look where I’m going rather then watch LEDs. I have looked into replacing the Bosch system with one of the unnamed brand system that do start the audible warning at 1200mm to 1500mm but have found that the Bosch sensor like the Ford sensor is 29mm in diameter and all the other system on the market have 22mm or smaller sensors. So if I change systems the first thing I need to do is have the holes in the bumper bar plastic welded and the bar repainted at a cost of approx $1000. I have worked out that Bosch make at least 2 of the systems factory fitted by Ford and I intend to buy the control unit for the Ford system that does not have the visual display in the dash and try and adapt it to the Bosch sensors fitted to my car. I was checking what distance the Ford unit warns at because it would be a waste to try and adapt it if it’s no better. I know it’s a long story but there it is. Regards.......Gordon.
Old 21-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't get why longer distance is better? Unless you reverse at 100mph? you can simply substitute the LEDS for a small piezo speaker (jaycar/dick smith) if you only want audible warnings, or hook in series if you want audible and visual warnings.

When reversing, I usually stop when mine flatlines, and I find that i have about 6" to go before actually hitting; now that I have a camera, I can also see what it is I'm about to hit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I would have thought that 670mm is far enough to start getting a warning, ignoring the LED's.
I'm with JC really, I go slow until the continuous beep then stop immediately. Very reliable system that was standard in the Ghia.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
valdon1985
Starter Motor

No not at 100MPH but if you reverse at 1mph the 670mm of distance warning is taken up in 1.32 seconds. Seriously, will a piezo speaker work off the current that drives an LED? I would assume that if I went with the speaker it would emit a flatline tone until I reached the 670mm mark when the Bosch progressive beeper would start. The flatlining speaker would continue to emit its tone as the LED’s remain on as the vehicle got closed to the obsticale. The reason I like the longer distance is the advance warning it gives especially when children are about. All other brands of reverse park sensors choose to warn from a minimum of 1200mm with some starting from 2000mm. Thanks for the input, I’ll defiantly look into your idea. Regards........Gordon.
Old 21-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would suggest that mine starts the warning at around 700mm range (never measure it) - I use my mirrors for anything beyond that or the camera (but be careful as its a fish eye lense - objects appear further away than what they are) When its a continous beep I stop (or before hand depending on the room available)

I am impressed with the system.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdon1985
No not at 100MPH but if you reverse at 1mph the 670mm of distance warning is taken up in 1.32 seconds. Seriously, will a piezo speaker work off the current that drives an LED? I would assume that if I went with the speaker it would emit a flatline tone until I reached the 670mm mark when the Bosch progressive beeper would start. The flatlining speaker would continue to emit its tone as the LED’s remain on as the vehicle got closed to the obsticale. The reason I like the longer distance is the advance warning it gives especially when children are about. All other brands of reverse park sensors choose to warn from a minimum of 1200mm with some starting from 2000mm. Thanks for the input, I’ll defiantly look into your idea. Regards........Gordon.
I had a non-factory system in mine that came only with a speaker and I added a light to it - as the speaker beeped, the light would flash, and the light stayed lit at the same time the speaker flatlined, so I was just suggesting the reverse. you may be right with the LED voltage, but i would expect it to be 12 volts along the line, and a reducer between the line and the LED close to the LED (perhaps even in the same box as the LED).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

My XRT is about 400mm from the wall when the rev beeper flatlines. Dont know how far when it starts to beep.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'm amazed that people NEED a reverse parking sensor. I guess it must be a new age thing. Along with Traction control, ABS, and a host of other things that todays drivers just cant do without.
Old 21-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I'm amazed that people NEED a reverse parking sensor. I guess it must be a new age thing. Along with Traction control, ABS, and a host of other things that todays drivers just cant do without.
Nothing beats the look on the driver of an exotic euro's face when they think you're going to hit them while their parked in a "loading zone".......should add I don't do this in the G6ET but rather my work van which has reverse sensors and a big Haymen reese hitch/tongue coupled with a rear protection bar...if you 'anit dropping off goods you 'aint getting my good side, lol.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post