Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
thekovac
Starter Motor

Default LR vs. LS - much difference?

Gday all!

Recently I've been looking into getting a little 4 banger thats got a bit of space inside to house my bike, as well as having a bit of guts to get around town with.

I like the idea of getting a Focus, they've got such a good rep. in Europe as well as having great handling.

Now, my budget sits around the 8-10k mark, and I won't be buying for a good 3-4 months but I am somewhat presuming and estimating the costs of a decent focus by that time, and planning ahead.

So my question is: Is thier much difference between a LR or LS focus? Is it the difference enough that it would warrant getting a base model LS over a higher end model LR (i.e. Zetec) ?

I have read that the LR's are fairly weak, so I would probably only go for a 5 Door Zetec manual if I went down the LR path. How slow is slow? I'm not trying to impersonate Micheal Schumacher on the roads, but I would like something that has a little bit of guts for some highway overtaking and when I might a few passengers or a bit of load in the boot. Would the standard 1.8 or 2.0 be able to take it?

For my budget I would probably stuggle to get a decent condition LS, I might need to look into the auctions or the lower end of the scale. Being chain driven I figure having a bit more k's in the car would not be a too big of a problem as servicing costs should be quite reasonable. What should I look out for in the higher k models?

So, there's my essay.....thanks for reading and look forward to the responses!

Cheers - thekovac

thekovac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Not sure what you mean by "I have read that the LR's are fairly weak"

In the power/torque department? Or driveline? Not quite sure what that would be referring to
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
thekovac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Not sure what you mean by "I have read that the LR's are fairly weak"

In the power/torque department? Or driveline? Not quite sure what that would be referring to
I read in a few reviews that the LR's engine were a bit weak - i.e. slow.... like I said I'm trying to be a racing car driver on the roads but it'd be nice to have some power to be able to take a bit of a load when I take my mates around town or when I might go camping or something.....
thekovac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If it's for the same amount of money, I wouldn't even spend a millisecond looking at a base LS.

LR was built in Germany and was bulletproof in terms of fit/finish and interior quality. Panel aligment and gaps were consistent and paint was excellent. I never heard of anyone with breakages, or even quality issues on an LR (outside of the odd mechanical issue). Standard with ABS and Twin airbags - something the LS CL doesn't offer standard.

An LR in Zetec form has a quite torquey 2.0 engine that will average around 9-10L/100km every day. On the highway it'll hit around mid 7's. 55L tank will see about 500km in the city effectively. Happily runs on 95 RON (not 91) but is best on 98 RON Ultimate and actually uses less fuel on 98 than on 95 - saving you money in the end.

LS will use noticeably less, aropund the 7.0-8.0L average mark but also requires at least 95 RON to be safe and happy. Better performance and fuel economy, blunted a little by heavir weight (and more room) but ultimately, you could remove a wheel off the LR Zetec and it'd still outhandle the LS CL. Even if you removed the steering wheel... Whilst the LS is better in a stright line, overall the LR is more fun to drive and still very refined and characterful.

Few cars this side of $50,000 even today handle as well as an LR Zetec especially on the 17's with decent tyres. Only an ST170 would beat it again! Sublime steering, brilliant ride. Just magnificent. Plenty of excellent performance to be had out of a 96kw 2.0 Zetec manual.

Both are 4 Star safe, although I dare say the LS has stronger frontal structure.

If you can find a clean LR Zetec with the bodykit and the 17" alloys, you're absolutely streets ahead of an LS CL or LX. Better off looking for a lower km example in good nick that's $10,000 than a thrashed newer model that has been abused. Technically, I'd pay more for a nice LR Zetec than I would for a newer LS CL (but not for an LS Zetec).

To be utterly honest, I'd still get an LR Zetec over a year younger LS Zetec both in exact same condition. The LR is the driver's car, the LS is the commuter's car. Better in most ways, but just not as much fun. Pretty much the same as most 2nd Generations of popular cars - bigger, safer, better, but not as fun)

Get a nice LR and you won't regret it.

I'll leave you with this... Well priced (offer him $9,000), WELL featured and looks absoutely mint. Also very low k's for that age, and has cared enough to run on 98 Ultimate and "used good oils". No money to spend on Tyres or on Timing Belt. You're set.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...=105&silo=1011
Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

For the LR above - would need a good $300 detail and you'd be all over it
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
melbzetec

As I once said over the PA at a car show, all the Falcons there would beat me in a straight line, but I'd take any of them on the twisty bits!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own an LS Zetec, my dad owns a base model LS & mum owns an LR, we all love them.

5 door is great & you can fit heaps in them. Im moving house at the moment & with the back seats folded down I can fit more in it than my old ED falcon. I think it also has more get up & go. As far as the LR is concernd with power as long as its a 2L you will still have enough power. I did a track day with my LS & another LR 3 door was there, it went as fast (if not faster) than mine around Oran Park.

One more thing if power is a concern, get a manual transmission it will be heaps better on fuel & will go faster.

Good luck,I hope this helps
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
melbzetec

Ditto on the manual. The key to power from a 4 cylinder is get the revs up

Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Brotherontherun
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
As I once said over the PA at a car show, all the Falcons there would beat me in a straight line, but I'd take any of them on the twisty bits!
Completely agree with that comment, when I got my LS Zetec about two years ago, I went through the great ocean road and found myself going toe to toe through the hills outside Ocean Grove with an XR8...Let's just say, it represented. This encounter gave me a newfound respect for what I thought was a good looking runabout car... It's unassuming and delivers when you don't really expect it...

Cheers
Brotherontherun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

And if you are planning on replacing the OE suspension (on the LR at least) with the Ford Sport Technologies (ST170) set-up I guarantee it'll put a smile on your face EVERY time you get an opportunity to drive a decent road.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post