Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Just when I thought I'd Heard it all.

'Car for the blind' developed... not sure how far they will get with this, but at least they're trying, eh?

Quote:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/251308/

The first road-legal car that can be driven safely by the blind is being developed in America.

A group of American scientists has teamed up with the National Federation of the Blind to develop a prototype based on the Ford Escape.

Information about the road surface, obstacles and current speed is transmitted via a vibrating vest and a tactile map interface, using compressed air to alert the driver to potential hazards. An array of sensors and lasers are used to identify the road ahead and relay information accordingly.

The car also speaks to the driver directly, indicating the car’s direction.

The first test drive will take place in Florida in January and the team is keen to put the car into production later in 2011.
Old 13-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Sounds too complicated to even drive?
That's a very niche market, not many people are blind, as in, that cannot be corrected by contact lens, glasses or surgery.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

And this.

Quote:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/11/p...-vi/#continued

Prototype cart with feedback controls lets the blind drive [w/video]

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Jul 11th 2010 at 1:33PM
Virginia Tech takes on the Blind Driver Challenge – Click above to watch video after the jump

Researchers at Virginia Tech are teaming with the National Federation of the Blind to build two Ford Escape test vehicles designed specifically for visually-impaired drivers. After building a small buggy last year equipped with an audio steering wheel and various other "non-visual interfaces," the team decided to take a stab at going full-size. Drivers will use a vibrating vest and gloves, as well as a tablet-type device that shoots puffs of compressed air to represent the road course.

If you're skeptical about allowing the blind to drive, you're not alone. Researchers say the end goal of the project isn't to start a blind-driving movement, but to explore and further develop blind-interface technology. The work could lead to innovations that could in turn be applied to other aspects of visually-impaired life.

\Virginia Tech's Ford Escape test vehicles will head to the Daytona International Speedway next January, where they're scheduled to put on a full demonstration. Hit the jump to see a quick video on the Blind Driver Challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CCBs...layer_embedded

Old 13-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Next there will be 3d t.v for the one eyed...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

They have already made a car for the blind ...

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Is there really any point in having windscreens and windows in this car? Surely some sheets of colourbond would do just as good a job, and be less fragile.

Actually, come to think of it, rear vision mirrors, interior lights, gauge cluster, the numbers on top of the gearstick, the radio display, colour coded interior, rear window demister are all items not required by a visually impaired driver.

EDIT: Windscreen wipers, numbers for the aircon controls, fog lights, high beam.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.

Last edited by 388cube_edxr8; 13-07-2010 at 12:42 AM.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Gold!!!!!

The scientists time would have been much better spent researching how to treat the various ways people develop vision loss. However, as per the second article, it may mean further aides to help vision impaired people in the future which isn't a bad thing.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

LOL I wonder if the Aussie cops would fine a blind driver for having too dark a tint.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Oh dear God that must have hurt
Old 13-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
'Car for the blind' developed... not sure how far they will get with this, but at least they're trying, eh?
its a nice sentiment, and we are probably going to have self drive cars down the track anyway, i`d rather se the dough spent on fixing the eyes or bionic eyes myself.
+1 vote , that ute looks pretty bloody horrible(what were they thinking).

Last edited by mik; 13-07-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: dementia
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Ironically, my father in law is legally blind... But has a valid drivers license...
Infact, he only renewed his license about 2 years ago (meaning he has 8 years to go before another renewal...

So there may be a market for the cars after all...
Old 13-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
zdcol71
zdcol71

I am sure the technology won't be the issue down the track.
I cant' make my way out of the bedroom with the lights out without falling over something, so would struggle to see (no pun intended) how all the minutae of actually controlling a vehicle on a real world road would be possible. Reminds me of the scene in Scent of a Woman, blind Al Pacino throwing a Testa Rossa around like Juan Fangio.Looked good in the movie, but....
Old 13-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Ironically, my father in law is legally blind... But has a valid drivers license...
Infact, he only renewed his license about 2 years ago (meaning he has 8 years to go before another renewal...

So there may be a market for the cars after all...
My wife is legally blind and has been told she can drive (how does that work?). She also now owns my car (on paper anyway), thanks RTA!!
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post