Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
WannabeXP

Default AUII Coil & Lead Help!

Hey Everybody,
I'm in need of some help. I have a 2000 xr6 manual. It runs rough occasionally so i finally got around to checking the leads and coil pack. The plugs are new (<1000kms). So i got out the old multimeter and measured the resistance, I'm just too thick to understand what it means.
That's were i need your help.
The Leads: 1. 8.3 Kohm 2. 8.25 Kohm 3. 10.6 Kohm 4. 8.6 Kohm 5. 8.4 Kohm 6. 8.7 Kohm.
In the haynes manual it lists: 1. 12-24 2. 11-23 3. 10-22 4. 9-21 5. 9-21 6. 7-19.
My understanding was that the lower the ohm the easier the current travels through the wire? I'm not sure
Now for the coil pack: Primary test cp1. 1.7 cp2. 1.7 cp3. 1.2
The standard for these was 0.6 ohms
The secondary test was from the lead terminal to the other lead terminal on each coil pack: 1-6. 10 2-5. 10 3-4. 10
The standard in the book was 9.2 kohm.
If anybody can shed some light on my situation it would be awesome.
My conclusions are that there stuffed but couldn't say for sure.
It runs better on gas then petrol but still not perfect.
To start it i have to sit on the starter for longer then i expect needed in my opinion. probably 2-5 seconds sometimes, occasionally takes a few goes.
Since ive checked the leads its started to stall and carry on a lot more but only in neutral(its a manual). so when i pull up it starts coughing and stalls most times since i removed and refitted the coil and leads. This doesnt happen when it is driving. Before i pulled them off it would only happen ocassionally and would not drop out completely just drop to 200rpm and go back up to normal idle.
When i tested the leads and coil pack i double checked that all the boots were fitted correctly.
The multimeter i tested them on only has one resistance setting so i cant help much with the accuracy.
Hope some of you can help me. Stalling the car everytime i need to stop is aggravating.
Cheers in advance
Jason

05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Does it backfire on LPG? If not, spark is not your issue. I'd say first step is to clean your Idle Air Control Valve and if cleaning doesn't fix it, replace - it controls idle more than anything else on the car.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeXP
It runs better on gas then petrol but still not perfect.
I agree with JC, LPG is spark sensitive. If running better on LPG, follow advice above.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GK's how to:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43
Old 05-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
WannabeXP

Thanks Guys! Only had the car 3 months, its a pleasure to drive but it has so much trouble staying in driveable condition. Today the car stopped stalling but it still dropped to 200rpm a few times.
Does anyone know if the leads are still good or shot?
I was thinking of replacing them anyway.
I'll try cleaning the idle Air control valve in the next few days.
Could this be due to me starting it while the airbox was off? It was much better before i pulled the leads and coil out. I started it to double check the leads werent in the wrong order before i put the airbox back on.
Cheers, Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
Old 05-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
soulink

Try a reset of the ECU by disconnecting the battery (both terminals) for like half an hour, then plug em back in, then for the next 100k, drive it a little harder than normal..
See how it goes
soulink is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
WannabeXP

pretty sure the ECU reset when i tested the coil pack. (disconnected the battery then). Also cleaned the Idle Air control valve. Still not the greatest but its stopped stalling. Must just be this car i'd say. Running it back on gas now takes a bit to start(needs a tune anyway) then runs fine after that.
Cheers for the help everyone
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it continues to be a problem and it was mine, i would be thinking about takeing it somewhere they can hook it up to a machine and diagnose stuff, running rough can be caused by any number of things, ignition problems, earthing problems, vacuum leaks, computer malfunctions,fuel system/filter,mechanical problems, etc,etc internet diagnosis is pretty hit and miss allthough we get a winner now and again, good luck with it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Jimmyd
Banned

JC is right, if OK on Gas spark is not your issue. IF leads were shot she would be missfiring like a pig under load on gas.
Make sure you did not inadvertantly unplug any vac lines or your ISC, if all connected clean ISC.
Reset your ECU CORRECTLY - AU ECU Reset - the right way - This is Ford Australia's recommended process, any other methods give questionable results at best.

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
WannabeXP

Yeah i made that assumption when i looked around at other peoples post's with similar issues Mik, It seems to have come good randomly. Apart from cleaning the IACV and testing the coil and leads i haven't touched it. just came good again apparently. Which is good thing but the problem may not be solved.
I'll see how i go. Cheers for the help