Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
NO2
Old Man

Unhappy water leaks on passenger side

Focus one (2004 LR sedan) has developed a leak during this recent downpour in Qld. The water is only on the front passenger side. The floor was completely soaked, almost flooded.
I noticed tonight the seal around the box from the air vents in the passenger footwell going through the firewall was wet. When I turned on the fan a lot of water dripped out onto the garage floor from the drain in the engine bay. So I am guessing it could be coming in else where and running down through the vent system and sitting at the bottom of the vent system.
The car hasn't been driven through any water today, just rain, Also Focus two (2007 TDCI) hasn't any problems, so that should eliminate any possible condensation problems.
It has taken me three attempts to find a leak on the house, rust underneath some flashing.
I hope some other forum member has encountered this problem and can help because I can see it being a wild goose chase for me and an expensive exercise using my local Ford dealership.

NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

This is probably the most common fault on the LR Focus.

You'll find that the scuttle panel above the pollen filter on the passenger side of the car is not stuck down properly and water is leaking through your pollen filter and into the passenger cabin.

This problem occurs mainly after your car has been serviced as the scuttle panel will not have been sealed correctly after a new pollen filter has been fitted.

Your Ford Dealer should have a TSB on it (Technical Service Bulletin...I think!)

TSB 20/04 - Focus Water ingress

Subject/Concern: FOCUS: WATER INGRESS INTO THE PASSENGER FOOTWELL THROUGH THE COWL PANEL GRILLE AND POLLEN FILTER

Cause: Inadequate seal between the passenger side cowl panel grille and the windshield in the area around the pollen filter.

Action: Passenger side cowl panel grille should be removed and an additional cowl panel grille-sealing strip should be installed.

Service Procedure
Concern Description:
If a customer expresses a concern about water ingress into the passenger foot well, the probable cause is an inadequate seal between the cowl panel grille and the windshield in the area of the pollen filter.

The cowl panel grille on the passenger side should be removed and an additional cowl panel grille-sealing strip should be installed.

Service Action:
1. Position the wiper arm in the vertical position by switching ignition off when wiper is in the middle of its cycle/travel.
2. Using a suitable tool (eg. Painter's pallet knife), separate the butyl-sealing strip that is located between the windshield and the passenger side cowl panel grille. Note: only separate the butyl on passenger side cowl panel grille.
3. Open the bonnet.
4. Remove the cowl panel grille (Figure 1) on the passenger side (driver and passenger sides shown).

Instructions for Figure 1:
1. Remove the screw cover. Please NOTE: 1 screw cover ONLY (circled in Figure 1)
2. Remove the screw.
3. Release the 3 front clips, lever up the cowl panel and release the 2 rear clips.
5. Remove the 2 white sliding clips (shown by arrows on Figure 2) from the corresponding mountings on the body panel.
6. Once white sliding clips are removed, re-attach the sliding clips onto the corresponding mountings on the back of the cowl panel grille.
7. Thoroughly clean the area of the windshield where the cowl panel grille will make contact. Make sure that any dirt and residues of adhesive and butyl-sealing strip are completely removed.
8. Remove the pollen filter-retaining flap (Refer to Fig 3). Arrows in figure 3 define fixing points of strap.
9. Note the orientation/direction of flow of the pollen filter, then remove the pollen filter and check if the filter is wet/damp. If the filter element is wet, install a new one (see Parts required).
10. Clean the protective grille (defined by arrow in Figure 4) underneath the rubber protective edge in the area between the windshield wiper motor and the filter housing.
11. Detach the one side of protective backing from the double-sided adhesive cowl panel grille sealing strip (see parts required).
12. Start to affix/attach the cowl panel grille sealing strip to the edge of the cowl panel grille. Make sure you leave a 6mm gap between edge of sealing strip and edge of cowl panel grille. The small inset diagram E46718 in Figure 5 shows a cross section of the edge of the cowl panel grill when installed against the windscreen with the sealing strip in the correct position.
Note: Start the attachment at the side of the cowl panel grille that sits closest to the middle of the vehicle (refer to circled 1 in Figure 5 ).
13. Continue to attach the cowl panel-grille sealing strip along the edge of the cowl panel grille. When the end of the cowl panel is reached, bend back about 40mm of the protective backing. (refer to circled 2 in Figure 5). Note: you will need to use this 40mm tab to help remove the other side of sealing strip once the cowl panel is installed.
14. Place the passenger side cowl panel grille in its installation position.
15. Adjust positioning of cowl grille so that all cowl panel grille clips line up with the appropriate holes, then gently press the cowl panel grille fully until all clips are fully engaged. NOTE: Make sure that all clips are fully engaged.
16. Beginning from 40mm tab at edge of cowl grille, slowly remove the protective backing from the cowl panel grille-sealing strip. When protective backing is fully removed, attach as much of 40mm tab to the edge of cowl grille panel as possible. Neatly cut of any excess length from 40mm tab.
17. Press the cowl panel grille fully into place against the windshield using a suitable roller.
18. Re-install the cowl panel screw and screw cover.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
small_ford
Starter Motor

or just buy a replacement cowl panel left hand (front passenger side) panel, around $80, which is much better than having wet carpets. I broke a couple of clips when replacing my pollen filter and replacing the panel was the easiest option.
small_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
NO2
Old Man

The pollen filter is perfectly dry, I don't think it is coming through there.
Never had the problem before either. Car is nearly due for a service.
Underneath the cowl is a curved gutter channel which directs water away from the pollen filter. It looks like a design modification considering the way it is attached to the cowl. It is a late 04 model.

However You say mainly after the car has been serviced. The condition of the pollen filter is so bad I think it has never been replaced. Also if this is a Ford Technical bulletin I believe that if the pollen filter had been replaced as per an A service then there would have been the extra cowl panel grille-sealing strip put in or is it typical modern day attitude of waiting until there is a complaint before doing anything about it.
Old 14-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey, N02, how about a "thanks for the info" or something. These guys did their best to answer your question. Common courtesy mate. I've noticed of late quite a few people not even acknowledging other forum members attempts to help them. Bad form guys. Doesnt take much to say "ta".
Old 15-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
melbzetec

NO2, if it's not coming through there, then you will be the only bloke in the world with wet passenger side carpet NOT caused by this problem
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 15-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
TitaniumLT
Starter Motor

I had water leaking into my car and it just happened that I noticed after it rained so I thought it was a leak from the outside. Most of the water was in the drivers side but there was some in the passenger as well Took it back to the dealer and they said there was a blockage in the AC and thats where it came from. Unfortunately it took them 2 go's to fix it but there hasnt been any water coming in since. It was covered under the warranty but they didnt replace the carpet which got pretty wet and started smelling but its ok now
Old 15-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I had water come inside once also...
Seems I had left the window open slightly whilst washing her
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
melbzetec

On the LR Focus however, this is a notorious problem, caused as described above

Old 16-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
melbzetec

On the LR Focus however, (which is what NO2 has) this is a notorious problem, caused as described above

Old 16-03-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
NO2
Old Man

NO2, if it's not coming through there, then you will be the only bloke in the world with wet passenger side carpet NOT caused by this problem

Melbzetec- That would be my luck, because as I say the pollen filter is perfectly dry and so dirty any moisture would turn to mud. All filter housing and the gasket of the pollen filter is watertight under the cover. Probability says the pollen filter so I've taped the cowl to the windscreen so tomorrow's rain should provide empirical evidence if there is no water ingress. My luck, no more rain.
The quest continues.
Old 16-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Currently my SECOND cowl panel is heading the same way. It's warped but luckily no water entering the cabin so far.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
NO2
Old Man

Taped up the cowl onto the windscreen and found that there is still moisture getting in. Not using the air con though appears to resolve the problem.
Spoke to the service manager at the local Ford dealership and he said that in his experience there are two main culprits for water on the passenger floor. One is the pollen trap and the other is the heater box. He also said that “considering the weather we have been having the pollen filter should be soaked.” It is perfectly dry so I think the pollen filter can be discounted as the fault. Car is booked in for next week so I will keep everyone updated. The heater box is the expensive one to fix.
The pollen filter isn’t the only possible solution and everyone else’s personal experience is also valid. Until the hypothesis is tested then I will give every ones opinion equal weight. Statistically it may be a steep bell curve but there are still outliers.
The forum gives everyone the space to freely share their viewpoint, joys and experiences and I don’t see the point in criticising anyone because of what they have said or didn’t say because I am not aware of their circumstances, I want to gain and share knowledge and information and hopefully have a laugh.
Don’t take it too seriously or become pretentious or precious because the serious investment is in our cars and online relationships can add to our humanity without emotional baggage.
Old 26-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
NO2
Old Man

For the sum of $940 Ford dealer has resealed the heater box.
I was told that he hadn't seen one for a while as most of them have been done. Another common fault that probably gets repaired under warranty in most cases. My luck it survived for 5 years.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
The warranty on my 2007 TDCI runs out this year so I will be seeking out info on common faults on this one and getting Ford to look at them under warranty. I think motoring organisations do checks for warranty issues as well.
Old 26-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thank you for a very informative thread Many people just complain about a problem but never get around to telling us what finally fixed the problem. Thanks again.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
BluepearlXH
Brendan

Good thread, glad i found it, My girlfriend has been having the same problem with her 07'.
Will be checking out all the possibilities and hopefully its not the 900dollar fix :l
She bought it second hand from a dealer with a warranty so hopefully that covers it.
Thanks again for another helpful thread, where would we be without this forum?

Has owned an FPV :p
BluepearlXH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #17
melbzetec

Well Done NO2. Good follow up of this issue, now recorded for others to see.

My apologies if I sounded narky originally.

Reputation points coming your way